• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A real club

GrimsbyBoy1984

Striker
I went to Southend once on holiday candy floss , the slot machines and sandcastles it must have been about 20 years ago but I always remembered the place fondly , much like my teams little beach town Cleethorpes there was something in the air around the place ,something real .

I revisited a good few years ago for one our games down there as I had a bit of a thing for Freddy Eastwood and his yellow boots and loved Roots Hall and being in a real football ground that i much prefer to these new build generic souless operations these days .

We had our own problems up until a couple of years ago - a chairman who told us we were 'punching above our weight ' in the conference ,doing cringe worthy interviews about ladies place being 'by the sink' ,bleeding the club dry of money , training in a cow field with mishaped balls(no joke ) and finally trying to bring on board a convicted fraudster .

We were taken over 2 years ago by lifelong fans of the club who are very wealthy ,they have breathed new life into the club -promotion, sold out season tickets , an FA cup quarter final and a new training ground on the horizon .

Our neighbours at Scunthorpe Utd are in a tricky spot they need to raise 3.4million in the next week otherwise in all probability the club goes or a phoenix club , I fear for them as I fear for you- Martin seems to be similiar to our previous primary funder(extracter) .

I just wanted you and your fans to know there is hope and I am rooting for you and hope you can sort things out and return to where you belong .

Up The Shrimpers

Richard

Grimsby fan

I went to Southend once on holiday candy floss , the slot machines and sandcastles it must have been about 20 years ago but I always remembered the place fondly , much like my teams little beach town Cleethorpes there was something in the air around the place ,something real .

I revisited a good few years ago for one our games down there as I had a bit of a thing for Freddy Eastwood and his yellow boots and loved Roots Hall and being in a real football ground that i much prefer to these new build generic souless operations these days .

We had our own problems up until a couple of years ago - a chairman who told us we were 'punching above our weight ' in the conference ,doing cringe worthy interviews about ladies place being 'by the sink' ,bleeding the club dry of money , training in a cow field with mishaped balls(no joke ) and finally trying to bring on board a convicted fraudster .

We were taken over 2 years ago by lifelong fans of the club who are very wealthy ,they have breathed new life into the club -promotion, sold out season tickets , an FA cup quarter final and a new training ground on the horizon .

Our neighbours at Scunthorpe Utd are in a tricky spot they need to raise 3.4million in the next week otherwise in all probability the club goes or a phoenix club , I fear for them as I fear for you- Martin seems to be similiar to our previous primary funder(extracter) .

I just wanted you and your fans to know there is hope and I am rooting for you and hope you can sort things out and return to where you belong .

Up The Shrimpers

Richard

Grimsby fan

Thanks Richard. When it comes down to it we're all one big football family. I hope that the Iron sort something out, they were a team to be feared a few seasons ago. Congratulations on your recent success. Long may it last.

Can someone smell fish......? 🙂

Up The Shrimpers

Richard

Grimsby fan
Thank you for your support and kind words Richard. Knowing that true football supporters like yourself care about our fate is a comfort in these trying times

Thank you Richard, but I cannot understand about sCunthrope, as they had their take over in January and had their embargo’s lifted too.

Thank you Richard, but I cannot understand about sCunthrope, as they had their take over in January and had their embargo’s lifted too.
Sadly fot scunthorpe there take over came to late to make the urgent changes needed to survive in the leauge .There relegation was allmost assured before the new owners came in .Ihope we will get new owners before the season srarts .Maybe like wrexham it will take a season for new owners to bed in .But like all shrimpers i am sure we all hope the sale goes through in the comeing weeks .

Sadly fot scunthorpe there take over came to late to make the urgent changes needed to survive in the leauge .There relegation was allmost assured before the new owners came in .Ihope we will get new owners before the season srarts .Maybe like wrexham it will take a season for new owners to bed in .But like all shrimpers i am sure we all hope the sale goes through in the comeing weeks .
I saw this on Rich’ post, that highlights it for me about their take over.

“Our neighbours at Scunthorpe Utd are in a tricky spot they need to raise 3.4million in the next week otherwise in all probability the club goes or a phoenix club , I fear for them as I fear for you- Martin seems to be similiar to our previous primary funder(extracter)”

I saw this on Rich’ post, that highlights it for me about their take over.

“Our neighbours at Scunthorpe Utd are in a tricky spot they need to raise 3.4million in the next week otherwise in all probability the club goes or a phoenix club , I fear for them as I fear for you- Martin seems to be similiar to our previous primary funder(extracter)”
Is that recent?

I know Scunthorpe's issue at the moment is that their previous owner hasn't given them permission to play at Glanford Park. Their new owners have bought land in the town for a potential new stadium. They will possibly ground share with Gainsborough Trinity

Is that recent?

I know Scunthorpe's issue at the moment is that their previous owner hasn't given them permission to play at Glanford Park. Their new owners have bought land in the town for a potential new stadium. They will possibly ground share with Gainsborough Trinity
It’s recent as Rich said on his post.

Whenever my wife hears the word "Grimsby" she looks at me with daggers....
Around 18 years ago in our early days of dating she was very excited to give me for my birthday a slap up long weekend to South of France ... " Awesome " Thanks darling ! .. When are we going ? early May she says ... early May i frowned ???? A quick scurry off to find my fixture list ... had to slink back in the room and give her the news --- Sorry , luv , i cant make it ... that's Grimsby away -- Potential Promotion party !!!
It took quite a few weeks for her to get over that + only admitted the other day that she was so close to dumping me that day !!!
Anyway me & the lads all went up to Grimsby in traditional last game of the season fancy dress ( i went dressed as Blues legend Ian Benjamin ) , ran on the pitch when the dodgy rumour went round that we had gone up , only for the real disappointment that we hadnt ... long journey home , minus a thousand brownie points ....
..... i'm happy to report we are still together + last week we finally made it to The South of France to heal the wound a little !!! :-)

Cheers for your wishes Richard & i'd like to think all "proper football fans" like us in the lower leagues are 1 family ,so we understand each others real poblems as opposed to the glory hunting Premier club supporting money grabbers.

Whenever my wife hears the word "Grimsby" she looks at me with daggers....
Around 18 years ago in our early days of dating she was very excited to give me for my birthday a slap up long weekend to South of France ... " Awesome " Thanks darling ! .. When are we going ? early May she says ... early May i frowned ???? A quick scurry off to find my fixture list ... had to slink back in the room and give her the news --- Sorry , luv , i cant make it ... that's Grimsby away -- Potential Promotion party !!!
It took quite a few weeks for her to get over that + only admitted the other day that she was so close to dumping me that day !!!
Anyway me & the lads all went up to Grimsby in traditional last game of the season fancy dress ( i went dressed as Blues legend Ian Benjamin ) , ran on the pitch when the dodgy rumour went round that we had gone up , only for the real disappointment that we hadnt ... long journey home , minus a thousand brownie points ....
..... i'm happy to report we are still together + last week we finally made it to The South of France to heal the wound a little !!! :-)

Cheers for your wishes Richard & i'd like to think all "proper football fans" like us in the lower leagues are 1 family ,so we understand each others real poblems as opposed to the glory hunting Premier club supporting money grabbers.
Likewise. Richard's words are the soul of as you say real football fans rather prawn sandwich lovers.

I have a different story about the Grimsby game as I was doing some open water dive training at Stoney Cove in Leicestershire. I told my instructor I only had time for 2 dives on the Saturday as I "had" to get to Grimsby for the match. Things were a bit slow & we ended a bit late so I jumped in the car drove up & saw the game.
All was well until I got back to the hotel when I suddenly felt cr@p, had a dreadful night & there was no way I was diving on the Sunday. Managed to drive slowly home in about 5 hours, stupid idea really, & promptly went to bed where I stayed for about 3 days. Although we weren't diving at great depth I had rushed the last dive & I presume it was the after effects of the ascent being a bit too quick. So I really did pay the price for going rushing to that game.

Is that recent?

That's partially true, their new owners need to pay a large sum to complete the takeover which includes the ground.

They have purchased some land in town, far more than is needed to build a ground on its own and signed some big names for the NLN so one would assume they are making big plans for the future.

Playing at Gainsborough would be a stretch for them, whilst their owner has ties to Gainsborough it isn't the easiest ground to get to from Scunny so I'd expect common sense to prevail and they stay in the tin shack

Likewise. Richard's words are the soul of as you say real football fans rather prawn sandwich lovers.

I have a different story about the Grimsby game as I was doing some open water dive training at Stoney Cove in Leicestershire. I told my instructor I only had time for 2 dives on the Saturday as I "had" to get to Grimsby for the match. Things were a bit slow & we ended a bit late so I jumped in the car drove up & saw the game.
All was well until I got back to the hotel when I suddenly felt cr@p, had a dreadful night & there was no way I was diving on the Sunday. Managed to drive slowly home in about 5 hours, stupid idea really, & promptly went to bed where I stayed for about 3 days. Although we weren't diving at great depth I had rushed the last dive & I presume it was the after effects of the ascent being a bit too quick. So I really did pay the price for going rushing to that game.

Are you sure you hadn't just eaten £15.97 of pick 'n' mix and were feeling a little groggy?

Up The Shrimpers

Richard

Grimsby fan
That you Youngy?

Back