• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A great read and interesting to hear about the early 90s team which was a bit before my day.

I grew up a Man Utd fan and went to Old Trafford a number of times during the mid 90s with my Dad and saw great players like Cantona, Beckham, etc. But it was a very long journey and it felt very strange getting back from a home game and Match Of The Day had already started.

As I became a teenager I started to go to about 10 games a season at Roots Hall getting the train up from Grays in the late 90s to early 2000s with a group of mates.

We had players like Russ Williamson, Scotty Forbes, Martin Carruthers, Michael Black, etc and although the football was pretty dire most of the time there was something about it that I loved. Supporting your local team and singing about your county in the stands. I then considered myself to support both teams.

As we got older my mates stopped wanting to come and I went less and less. Then I started Uni, Tilly took over and I met loads of lads who all supported their local sides. I went to Yeovil - Southend with a Plymouth Argyle fan and it turned out to be the last game before Tilly took over.

That year we got to the LDV Final and I went with a group of mates and by this time considered myself a fully fledged Southend fan. I hadn't been to many games that year but remember looking forward to seeing Leon Constantine after all the goals he'd scored that year. I left the Millenium Stadium in disbelief he'd scored so many but it was still great to go to such a big ground as a Southend fan.

Throughout the rest of my Uni life the good times rolled in terms of being a Shrimper and I found myself driving up more and more from Bournemouth to go to crucial home games.

Then came the Man Utd game and one of my flatmates remembered me telling him of my Man Utd past and said whoever won the game I would have to support for the rest of my life. I don't know why I took it on as by this point I was a fully fledged Southend fan and Man Utd were clear favourites. Anyway I shook his hand and then went and stuck a tenner on Stevie Hammell first goal scorer just in case the unbelievable actually occurred. My Dad had queued for hours to get tickets so that me and my sister could go to the game and I'll never forget the atmosphere, the place was absolutely buzzing. We'd seen the lineups in the Spread and couldn't believe that both Rooney and Ronaldo were starting against us.

I don't remember much of the early minutes until we won THAT freekick. And Stevie Hammell was standing over it. Come on you Beauty. 1-0 and me £800 richer. Then Hammell ran over it and...

Last edited:
A great read and interesting to hear about the early 90s team which was a bit before my day.

I don't remember much of the early minutes until we won THAT freekick. And Stevie Hammell was standing over it. Come on you Beauty. 1-0 and me £800 richer. Then Hammell ran over it and...

I thought I was the only one. I had Stevie Hammell first goalscorer too, and know exactly what you mean!!!

I thought I was the only one. I had Stevie Hammell first goalscorer too, and know exactly what you mean!!!

Ha ha yeah sorry I should have finished that sentence.

"The Hammell ran over it and... Freddy smacked it in, I jumped up on the seat and crowd surfed on the guys behind me and then remembered my bet was dead. Great times."

I was watching on tv - couldn't get down to game. but remember seeing Hammell there, then seeing it fly in, thinking it was the wrong angle for a left footer. Actually had a twang of disappointment for a split second before reality kicked in!

Back