• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A strange sensation

nnatt76

Youth Team
Sure you all agree that its a strange feeling being a shrimper at the moment.

I have been a loyal supporter since about 1994.. ish

this current feeling of optimisum is like a breath of fresh air people actually ask at work how the blues are without taking the p*ss....Its funny how expectations change from one year to the next.

I used to be happy if we one a couple of away games a season...now i expect to win them all....i hope our expectations reamin realistic....

Anyway i digress..
My point is what are all your lowest ebbs supporting the shrimpers over the last 10-11 years

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nnatt76 @ April 01 2005,13:21)]Sure you all agree that its a strange feeling being a shrimper at the moment.

I have been a loyal supporter since about 1994.. ish

this current feeling of optimisum is like a breath of fresh air people actually ask at work how the blues are without taking the p*ss....Its funny how expectations change from one year to the next.

I used to be happy if we one a couple of away games a season...now i expect to win them all....i hope our expectations reamin realistic....

Anyway i digress..
My point is what are all your lowest ebbs supporting the shrimpers over the last 10-11 years
My lowest ebb was when I was sick (after a night on the tennants super) in the East stand in the middle of a game against Oldham during Alvin Martins reign.

My personal favorite story was of the shrimpers fan who drunkenly fell in some dog waste before the FA cup match against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Losing at home to Huddersfield and thus relegated. The players didn't look remotely bothered. That hurt!

SUFC v Torquay in 1985 needing to win to avoid applying for re-election. Without doubt our worst point since I have been watching (38 years)

.............and watching perry groves score at hat trick for col u at the hall> the only time i have left before the final whistle!

Losing to Doncaster at home in the FA Cup in 1998/1999 was pretty poor. I remember it being one of the worst Blues displays i've ever seen.
Then there were the two relegations on the bounce in 1997 and 1998.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ April 01 2005,13:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (nnatt76 @ April 01 2005,13:21)]My point is what are all your lowest ebbs supporting the shrimpers over the last 10-11 years
1997-2003
Well Said!
wink.gif

1997-98 season.

first leg in the coca cola league cup.

The tw*t of a manager played boere up front on his own, All he did was knock the ball on to there keeper for 90 minutes. i don't think we had a clear cut chance in the whole game.

Martin your a tw*t

Chesterfield @ The Hall, April 1998.
We must have been doing something particularly badly if we made Roger 'Harry' Willis look good
mad.gif
down.gif

One of the only times, I've ever left before the final whistle, one of the others being Coca-Cola Cup 2nd Round at home to Covvy the next season when it was 0-5 with 10 mins to go (despite having put in one of the Chipmonk's only sterling performances away in the 1st leg - Coleman was immense in that game IIRC).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ April 01 2005,13:35)]Losing at home to Huddersfield and thus relegated. The players didn't look remotely bothered. That hurt!
Yep, apart from Roycie, none of them gave a shiny sh*t. The worst thing was, Huddersfield had only one once away all season, and came to Roots Hall with 9 first teamers injured. Our lot simply didn't want it.

The Donny Rovers game also hurt... out-fought by the side bottom of the Conference; all I could see was my best mate in the away end, jumping for joy all afternoon.

Both of those hurt. A lot.

Still, this season may well make up for it... with interest!

biggrin.gif

Relegation two season's in a row was the ultimate in hurt - from going from decent away grounds such as Molineux and the Hawthorns to ****-holes such as Home Park. At least IF we do get promoted, the standard of club and away support will increase.....
cool.gif

Huddersfield at the Hall was also my worst moment as a Shrimper, I remember some supporters chucking their season tickets and shirts on the pitch long before the final whistle. Echoing anothers comments Royce was the only one who seemed to give a monkeys that we were going down.

Gotta say though the 5-0 defeat at Oxford that season was also a HORRENDOUS away trip.....
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ April 01 2005,14:54)]Gotta say though the 5-0 defeat at Oxford that season was also a HORRENDOUS away trip.....
mad.gif
Totally agree with that - throwing it down with rain, and then Mark Stimson pulls his hamstring, and Keith "The most right footed player in the world" Dublin has to cover left-back.

The right winger then filled his boots, to coin a phrase....
mad.gif

We then played Pompey at Fratton Park the following Tuesday. Lost again....
mad.gif

As I've only been a shrimper for about 5 years I can't rememeber some of these very well but last season (other than the LDV) was total sh*te especially, losing to Scarbrough when a game with Chelski was awaiting. That capped off a sh*te year:(

Last season after the Boston home match I thought the club had died. I really did feel that we would drop out of the league and the atmosphere on leaving the ground was more akin to a funeral.

Back