• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've just been looking through the Sky Sports web site on the league 2 page looking at who has signed who.. And to me I can see next season being the strongest it's been since we've been down here.

A lot of clubs have made some really good signings for this division and imo we really need to start snapping up some signings.

Take a look at some of the players that we'll be playing against next season..

http://www1.skysports.com/football/competitions/leaguetwo/news

Or alternatively you could look at it that we've signed a striker from a prem club with a good track record at a higher level, a decent youth striker with legs and a winger who was ever present in a comfortable league 1 team last season...

Swings and roundabouts.

See how the first 15 games pan out, then decide how tough it will be.

Or alternatively you could look at it that we've signed a striker from a prem club with a good track record at a higher level, a decent youth striker with legs and a winger who was ever present in a comfortable league 1 team last season...

Swings and roundabouts.

Of course. I'm not saying that we won't be in the mix of things or that we won't be there or there about's come May because
I think we will, I'm saying that other clubs have bought well and it'll be a tough year.

Of course. I'm not saying that we won't be in the mix of things or that we won't be there or there about's come May because
I think we will, I'm saying that other clubs have bought well and it'll be a tough year.

So what you're saying is that this coming season is going to be the same as every previous season?

Last edited:
We currently have very little in defence. We need two very good defensive signings asap.

We have a decent amount of stability this time in terms of playing staff. This is something many L2 clubs won't have and that shouldn't be underestimated. That stability would be a negative in a side who struggled last year but we went very close and look likely to do so again. I'm confident Bob Shaw will come up trumps and find us another Egan or Sokolik plus a pacey striker. If he does then we've got a great chance of hitting the ground running and being serious contenders for the top 3.

Most of us including Phil and his staff have little idea where the team will finish up because the loss of the CBs was a major blow,Will the defence be as good as last season is the biggest concern as last seasons back line kept us in the play off/promotion picture,We know scoring has become tough for the team so clean sheets are vital.

We had no problem bringing in some top quality centre backs on loan last season, so Im sure we can this season too. Bob Shaw has done a very good job so far.

Crawliano;1645454[B said:
]Or alternatively you could look at it that we've signed a striker from a prem club with a good track record at a higher level[/B], a decent youth striker with legs and a winger who was ever present in a comfortable league 1 team last season...

Swings and roundabouts.

I don' think Barnard is the 20 goal a season striker we need to get out of this division. We also need 2 strong CB's to shore the defence up.

It does worry me seeing our rivals signing what looks like some decent players.

I don' think Barnard is the 20 goal a season striker we need to get out of this division. We also need 2 strong CB's to shore the defence up.

It does worry me seeing our rivals signing what looks like some decent players.

I worry Barney isn't even a 20 game a season player let alone scoring 20.

We have a decent amount of stability this time in terms of playing staff. This is something many L2 clubs won't have and that shouldn't be underestimated. That stability would be a negative in a side who struggled last year but we went very close and look likely to do so again. I'm confident Bob Shaw will come up trumps and find us another Egan or Sokolik plus a pacey striker. If he does then we've got a great chance of hitting the ground running and being serious contenders for the top 3.

The loan-market is only putting off problems. We'll get in a loanee, it takes a few games for them to adjust, they start looking good, we start looking good, their loan expires/they get recalled. Then rinse and repeat.

The loan-market is only putting off problems. We'll get in a loanee, it takes a few games for them to adjust, they start looking good, we start looking good, their loan expires/they get recalled. Then rinse and repeat.

Agreed,

No manager can ever build a decent team which could be sustained using the ridiculous loan method.

I'd go for a happy medium i.e. one signed centre-back and another coming in on loan. With all the talk of strikers and wingers it is easy to forget that a team is built from the back and strengthening our central defence is the number one priority.

He will come good, I am sure of it, a month of pre season will make him much sharper up front for us.

With Brown and weston being added up top and potentially the kid from spurs and the young spaniard i think its fair to say scoring and pace wont be a problem like last year.

If we had egan and sokalik going into this season i would feel confident of top 3. we need two centre halfs and not just some old pro's. Defenders need to be big strong and very mobile

Sorry - but again how can anyone criticise the loan market. Again, over the past seasons we have seen some awesome players playing for us on a loan basis, including last season with Eagan, Sokolik and Loza. For me Loza whilst here for a short time enabled us to end the sure run we was in the Oxford game ! If the loan market is used wisely, it's a tremendous way to improve your squad. As long as the back bone of the team are your players, which brown has got, surely the addition of a couple of top young players on loan is better for us !

Back