• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Absolutely Ridiculous

steveo

mine to stay the same please
On Newsnight now. Apparently since 9/11 the government changed the rules regarding airport security, and now every person who works "airside" at any British airport - and there are over 200,000 of them, must have a criminal records check - unless they are foreign.

Apparently it will be too difficult to check the records of people from other countries.

On Newsnight now. Apparently since 9/11 the government changed the rules regarding airport security, and now every person who works "airside" at any British airport - and there are over 200,000 of them, must have a criminal records check - unless they are foreign.

Apparently it will be too difficult to check the records of people from other countries.

Please say your joking.

Probably a lot of those perceived to be "foreign" would have British passports anyway, and if you have criminal intent in mind then it's not so hard to "acquire" one illegally.

Isn't the answer simple - only allow people with British passports to work in a British airport?!

But that't not possible. Airlines are allowed to bring their own staff over to work for them on the checkouts (for example), not to mention the pilots and cabin staff.

Isn't the answer simple.. just allow white british people to live in britain.

hmmm

But that't not possible. Airlines are allowed to bring their own staff over to work for them on the checkouts (for example), not to mention the pilots and cabin staff.

My guess is that airlines have pretty strict hiring criteria.

I'd imagine they are more concerned than anyone that their aircraft aren't blown out of the sky or hijacked and crashed into buildings.

It's just not good for business.

78119152pr2.png

Airlines are allowed to bring their own staff over to work for them on the checkouts
Surely this once great country shold be able to tell airlines what they can or cant do, rather than the other way round.

Surely this once great country shold be able to tell airlines what they can or cant do, rather than the other way round.

So where do you suppose British Airways and Virgin staff come from then? If we were to tell other airlines that there staff are not allowed to work in British airports then what would the affect be worldwide for British airlines. We would be into a tit for tat situation that would ground just about every plane in service. Not very smart.

Baring in mind 30% of airport staff are non-brits I dont think the plausable answer is to just put a blanket ban on non-uk workers as clearly that is madness.

A better idea in my book would be for the goverment to free up some resources and make checks on airport staff and immediate priorty.

Baring in mind 30% of airport staff are non-brits I dont think the plausable answer is to just put a blanket ban on non-uk workers as clearly that is madness.

A better idea in my book would be for the goverment to free up some resources and make checks on airport staff and immediate priorty.

I used to work for a company that did a lot of business at the airports - to get an airside pass you need to be security cleared to a very high level. That means you need to be referenced across every job you have had in the past 15 years, have no criminal record and no career breaks whatsoever etc - it was a nightmare process and there were no shortcuts. It meant that it was unusual to place too many foreign workers into these situations as the process didn't really fit for them. I don't know about staff working in the terminal buildings itself but I would assume the checks were just as stringent.

Back