• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Adam Barrett

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
In the monthly SKY TV player of the month awards, A.B. is on a shortlist of five. Maher 8 (and ORM) may feel a bit hard done by this month though as he heads the assist chart yet again ......

oops.gif

Well done to Super Adam Barrett for another possible award (although Fatboy Cheat (Trundle) looks favourite.)

Erm, why?

I don't think Barrett has been particularly good this month... would give it to Maher instead, though

I said to my friend the other day A.B's been the most disappointing player this season for us.

I think this just goes to show what a waste of time such awards are. IMHO Barrett has been our weak link to date this season by some margin. We are winning games because of our sparkling attacking play and despite a ropey defence.

They have clearly shortlisted him on the assumption that because he has scored twice in recent weeks he is still in the kind of inspirational form he was for most of last season.

It does seem curious. Still, talking of (spurious) awards, Tilson must be long odds-on for the League One MOTM....

I think that this nomination goes to show that Barrett is not having as bad a season as some make out. He may not be at his very best, but he is definitely not a "weak link". We have defended well in the last three or four games due to Barrett and Eagle, and the last two have only seen us concede due to excellent goals. Eagle would have been my shout, but Barrett will do.

I think he has done well as the defence isnt too leaky.

He was never going to set the world alight like he did last season but he is hardly a week link as some have said.

A good solid pro with a eye for goal. Just wish he would stop running everything out of defence.

DtS

I don't know if anyone else saw this in the programme at Gillingham but Southend are not only top in this league for shots/goals scored as a percentage , but also top for defence for shots /intercept/blocked/saved as well.
Forest were worse in league for goals scored ratio with Bournemouth for defence.
Thoughts of how bad our defence is now?

I think those stats are pretty much meaningless.

A top class defender won't rely on last ditch tackles and blocks but will cut out the danger before it reaches that stage.

If I had to judge a team's defending (which is more than just the keeper and defence) on any stats, it would be (1) goals conceded and (2) clean sheets. Our record in this department isn't particularly bad, but is still only mediocre at best.

Similarly, I'd rather the striker who shoots from every angle (and therefore has a low shot to goal ratio) than the striker with a 100% strike ratio as he only ever shoots when faced with an open goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 03 2005,12:00)]I'd rather the striker who shoots from every angle (and therefore has a low shot to goal ratio)
That would explain, presumably, your love and admiration for Drewe Broughton - who, whilst at SUFC, had a very low shots to goals ratio...

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Back