• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alan Moody

Boro's loss was definitely our gain - Alan Moody remains near the top of my personal list of the best players I have watched play for Southend.

Sadly, I can remember a few Southend players going back as far as the 1960s/1970s who were booed out of the club and went on to successful careers elsewhere. The first I can remember was a goalkeeper called Brian Lloyd. He was, I think, the Wales U-23 keeper when he arrived in 1969. He made a few howlers in front of the North Bank and was never forgiven by certain vociferous sections of the Roots Hall crowd. With his confidence apparently shot, he moved to Wrexham in 1971 where he was ever-present first-choice 'keeper for nearly six seasons and won their 'Player of the Year' award. He also won 3 full caps for Wales.

I can also remember Gary Moore getting a lot of sustained abuse from the Roots Hall crowd because he looked awkward and missed a few sitters, and now he regularly crops up in polls for Southend legends!! There were even some home supporters giving Billy Best stick towards the end of his time at Roots Hall.

Sadly, the boo boys have always been around and probably always will be.

Alan Moody was so classy! He was a tremendous defender - but we originally signed him as a mid fielder, I remember his debut away at Watford in 1972. In mid field he always looked to me like a defender playing out of position.
The reference to Brian Lloyd takes me back. He was so nervous when he first arrived, I remember him dropping a back pass against Port Vale, also collecting a ball outside the penalty area, dribbling it back then picking it up just outside so giving away a free kick. He never got over playing at home, but away was often fantastic. I remember that in January '70 we played Notts County who had a load of really big players. We were 2-1 up at half time, lost 5-2 with Lloyd all over the place in goal. I don't think he ever played again for us. We sacked the manager, Geoff Hudson, after that, Ernie Shepherd came back and at once dropped Lloyd and brought back Trevor Roberts.
Alan Moody's penalties were great - didn;t he once hit one so hard the ball somehow got stuck in the net and they had to bring on a different ball?

Got a feeling I've posted that link before a while back, certainly makes for good reading though. Don't think we've had a penalty taker to rival him in all the years since.

Back