• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot Town 2-0 Southend United

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United must have wanted the floodlights to again fail on them at Aldershot Town tonight
H.19.4

More...

It looked suspect from the off with Aldershot wanting it more - and it carried on like that to the bitter end.
As one of the 460-odd I'll stand corrected by anyone of the 459 others, but one late charged down drive (Martin?) and a Bilel header wide in the first half were the sum total of attacks.
Second ball not won; control negligible; Dicko not able to trap a dustbin lid - never mind a ball; Morris rugby tackling a forward in the box; on and on and on and on with the woe.
I can take 2-0 defeats, but not boring ones. League Two can be unforgiving - but this penance should stand me in good stead for a seat to the right of St Pete.:darkcloud:

****ing awful. nothing more to say. Hope sat is not the same. At least I get to see the joys of Morecambe...

Dire, dire performance, not worthy of a top of the table team … oh we’re not any more are we. Not a shot, not a header on target the whole game. It’s going to take a massive improvement for us to maintain a top 3 position and we’re going to have to up our game to stay in the playoffs.

Until Aldershot scored it was tedious stalemate. They were ineffective, we chased and harried but created nothing. They scored what looked like a wonder goal from my awful vantage point but it turns out to be a massive deflection off Phillips. For about 10 minutes we got some urgency into our game and an equaliser looked possible but there was no final ball, no cutting edge.

Second half was truly terrible. Woeful passes, the only aim was to bounce the ball off Mohsni’s head and hope for the best. Then a terrible misjudgement by Phillips led to Morris having to dive at Hylton’s feet. He was a tads late and a penalty given. Just surprised there wasn’t a card for Morris, red even but perhaps Mr Deadman felt sorry for him or maybe he forgotten to bring his cards with him - not one issued all game.

We had both Hall and Martin on the pitch at the same time second half ….. we simply didn’t have the ability to get the ball to them, not that they seemed inclined to go looking for it.

As we entered the four minutes of added time Benyon headed a simple chance over the bar (well it looked simple from the other end of the pitch!).

Morris 6 No chance with the first goal and made a good save shortly after but looked nervy. The penalty was more down to Phillips than Morris.
Cloughessy 6 Found space in first half and put in a few decent crosses.
Gilbert 3 After a good performance against Crewe, this was the Gilbert we know and don’t love. Poor defensively, woeful passing. Delivered two hospital balls second half. One to Martin, the second to Harris minutes after he’d come on the pitch that resulted in him hobbling for the rest of the game (all subs used).
Phillips 4 Poor by his standards. Totally misjudged the flight of the ball and let it go over his head which lead to their penalty.
Barker 6 Steady performance
Mohsni 5 Involved for most of the game as every ball seemed aimed at him but had a very indifferent game. Won the ball in the air consistently but to no effect. A couple of first half headers you’d expect him to at least get on target. Gave the ball away too often.
Timlin 5 Industrious but to no avail. Several clumsy challenges gave away free kicks in dangerous situations.
Kalala 5 Did his job, breaking up play, but he needed to do more than that against mediocre opposition.
Martin 4 Indifferent first half, totally disappeared second half, wasn’t involved at all.
Ferdinand 4 Worked hard to absolutely no effect
Dickinson 4 Ran and ran, again to no effect. No goal threat, poor first touch.

Hall 3 Hardly touched the ball
Harris n/a Got crocked thanks to Gilbert’s awful pass and couldn’t contribute.
Benyon 3 Hardly touched the ball and missed a decent chance near the end.

was p****d off when i went there for the origanal boxing day fixture feel more p****d off after going there tonight
to witness this debarcle, shots fans singing "top of the league your havin a laugh" I could only stand there dismayed
and agree with them

P.S. Said he's had enough of some of the players, especially being so inconsistent.

My guess is Morris, Gilbert, Barker, Kalala and Ferdinand.
Not included Grant because he's been consistantly bad this season, so not even inconsistent. The jury's still out on Benyon, as he has no service from midfield that he would thrive on. Pointless crossing the ball to a midget.
Harris again, wrong type of service.

Worse performance I have seen this season

Morris 2 - Useless
Clohessy 5 - Pick of the back 4
Phillips 4 - Ok
Barker 2 -Toilet
Gilbert 2 - Gash
Timlin 2 - Rubbish
Ferdinand 2 - Awful
Kalala 2 - Tosh
Martin 5 - Good first half, faded second
Moshni 2 - Effortless
Dickinson 2 - Ran out of words, but you get the point :)

Subs 2 - Pointless, may has well brought 3 fans on

Ground 2 - Shot

Officials 0 - If I made as many mistakes in my job as these officials keep making, I would be on the dole - how the hell do they keep getting away with it (though they weren't to blame for the result)

Me - Angry!!!!

P.S. Said he's had enough of some of the players, especially being so inconsistent.

My guess is Morris, Gilbert, Barker, Kalala and Ferdinand.
Not included Grant because he's been consistantly bad this season, so not even inconsistent. The jury's still out on Benyon, as he has no service from midfield that he would thrive on. Pointless crossing the ball to a midget.
Harris again, wrong type of service.

Trouble is, sturrock keeps saying it and then either doesn't change things, or the few changes he does make don't have an affect. His words are starting to sound empty.

Oh for Barry Corr to be fit ASAP. I'd consider chucking flood in for the morecombe game if Sampson isn't fit. We need to do something different quickly before the season is too far gone for us to rescue.

Worse performance I have seen this season

Morris 2 - Useless
Clohessy 5 - Pick of the back 4
Phillips 4 - Ok
Barker 2 -Toilet
Gilbert 2 - Gash
Timlin 2 - Rubbish
Ferdinand 2 - Awful
Kalala 2 - Tosh
Martin 5 - Good first half, faded second
Moshni 2 - Effortless
Dickinson 2 - Ran out of words, but you get the point :)

Subs 2 - Pointless, may has well brought 3 fans on

Ground 2 - Shot

Officials 0 - If I made as many mistakes in my job as these officials keep making, I would be on the dole - how the hell do they keep getting away with it (though they weren't to blame for the result)

Me - Angry!!!!
made me laugh, although think the marks were a bit too high!

One set of lights going out and what an effect it could have on our season.

I don't think we can blame our recent form on an abandoned fixture. Were just not good enough to win this league that's all. Problem is that i don't think were good enough to get promoted either. At least 1 more season in League 2 i reckon.

Trouble is, sturrock keeps saying it and then either doesn't change things, or the few changes he does make don't have an affect. His words are starting to sound empty.

Oh for Barry Corr to be fit ASAP. I'd consider chucking flood in for the morecombe game if Sampson isn't fit. We need to do something different quickly before the season is too far gone for us to rescue.

He can only make so many changes. Theres no point putting in inadequate players for the sake of change.

Shrimpers Fan from Peterborough, fair play first honest report. After seeing you 1 and a half times this season you are not good enough. The only player that stands out was the lad with Orange boots (Right back) you rely to much on him, for decent crosses, That Dickinson fella was useless, did not win a ball in the air and his feet....Might as well have not had them.

Suspect you will not post this, as it is an honest report. You are not the great club you think you are, get rid of that mentality then you may go forward.

Aldershot are" Tin pot" but we love our Football, we have only been around since 1993 after working through the pyramid. Our goal is to survive in League 2 for the next couple of years then hopefully move on, gaining bigger crowds from the London teams Fans who live in our area ,as premiership football slowly kills itself. So like yourselves can build our own ground (Ours is owned by the council) and move to possible div 1 then who knows the Championship (You have to have dreams)

I said on Boxing Day that those flood lights would cost us promotion, and I stand by it now.

Another season in league two it is :sad:

I said on Boxing Day that those flood lights would cost us promotion, and I stand by it now.

Another season in league two it is :sad:

Err no, it's Sturrocks negative way of playing football that is gonna cost us. Remember when Sawyer was starting to buzz, he was very reluctant to play him as he drives FORWARD. Bit like Martin really, can't wait to whip him off as offers too much going forward along with a bit of width. Give him the Kane and Kalala show anyday.......top of the league by luck more than judgement and now has nothing new to offer to keep us there!

I don't think we can blame our recent form on an abandoned fixture. Were just not good enough to win this league that's all. Problem is that i don't think were good enough to get promoted either. At least 1 more season in League 2 i reckon.

I wasn't getting at the effect on our form, more at that we went from looked like a 3 points to none. In a promotion chase that is likely to go down to the last day that could be vital.

Gutless

SOUTHEND United manager Paul Sturrock slammed his side as gutless following last night’s 2-0 defeat at Aldershot Town.

More...

Back