• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

almost new squad in under 2 years

Reg Martin

No Relation
With Kevin Maher now out on loan, there are only 5 players left at the club who started a first team game for us before start of last season.
And I think 4 of those are out of contract at the end of the season - Lewis Hunt, Mark Gower, Darryl Flahaven and Che Wilson.
So potentially only one player - Adam Barratt - may be left by start of next season who was in title-winning team.
(I know Alan McCormack played for us in Div2 but it was during a loan spell).
Quite an amazing overhaul of the squad in a short period of time and probably at a profit too.
The whole nature of the squad has changed too. In 5/6 we had a lot of experienced players coming to end of career - Goater, Prior, Edwards, Bradbury, Sodje.
Now we have mainly young players or players in their prime.

I might be wrong but I don't think Flavs is out of contract this summer. IIRC he had the longest playing contract before Bazza's recent one, I thought it went up to 2009.

Otherwise, perfectly true, and probably best in the long run. It worked well having those experienced players, but we have now been building a good squad to step up together. It just needs one or two little tweaks.

With Kevin Maher now out on loan, there are only 5 players left at the club who started a first team game for us before start of last season.
And I think 4 of those are out of contract at the end of the season - Lewis Hunt, Mark Gower, Darryl Flahaven and Che Wilson.
So potentially only one player - Adam Barratt - may be left by start of next season who was in title-winning team.
(I know Alan McCormack played for us in Div2 but it was during a loan spell).
Quite an amazing overhaul of the squad in a short period of time and probably at a profit too.
The whole nature of the squad has changed too. In 5/6 we had a lot of experienced players coming to end of career - Goater, Prior, Edwards, Bradbury, Sodje.
Now we have mainly young players or players in their prime.

What is also interesting about that is only Barrett is a Tilson signing out of those 5.

I might be wrong but I don't think Flavs is out of contract this summer. IIRC he had the longest playing contract before Bazza's recent one, I thought it went up to 2009.

Otherwise, perfectly true, and probably best in the long run. It worked well having those experienced players, but we have now been building a good squad to step up together. It just needs one or two little tweaks.

Whatever happens I reckon either Flavs or Collis won't be with us next season, with Craig Masters being the second goalkeeper.

Whatever happens I reckon either Flavs or Collis won't be with us next season, with Craig Masters being the second goalkeeper.

Oh god please dont let Darryl go, not quite sure what I would do if I couldnt stare at his peach next season!

Seriously though, I think Collis will move on and we will keep Darryl (wishful thinking) with Masters as second choice.

I think we will have a new goalie next season. Darryl or Collis will be second choice.

Can't really see from Stevenage's website but has Masters actually got off the bench yet? Surely if we're sending him out on loan it should be at a level where he can get some match time? I really don't understand the thinking here.

Also are people seriously thinking that one of Flavs or Collis plus Masters are a good enough pair even if we're in L1? Flavs performances improved when he had competition from Bart & without the threat from another similar standard keeper, & in the twilight of his career :), he'll return to his more lacksadasical, comfort zone situation.

I can't see a guy who can't get off Stevenage's bench this season being a creditable alternative. Building for the future is fine, but in a small squad there has to be a semblance of 1st team ability.

Last edited:
Fairly confident that Flavs will remain our number 1 choice next season, providing no injuries occur. He's a great goalie, people forget he's been a little under par because of injury earlier on in the season, and it's taken a while to get back to full fitness, and he's been hampered by a defence which had become rather disorganised while he was out. Things are just starting to gel again at the back, and if Clarkey would only stop being prone to Efe Sodje displays of complete hari-kari (!?) ishness then we'd have a fantastic defence.

Not so sure, Clarke Masters was apparently looked at by Arsenal a few years ago so could be good.

Oh god please dont let Darryl go, not quite sure what I would do if I couldnt stare at his peach next season!

Seriously though, I think Collis will move on and we will keep Darryl (wishful thinking) with Masters as second choice.

I think you are probably right Sam, I think if push came to shove and i was asked to pick out of Collis and Flavs it would have to be Flavs.....but obviously not for the same reasons as you my dear!!!!!

I'm sure Cricko would happily present his buns for viewing pleasure. You won't even know the difference.

According to the other thread, Collis' contract comes to an end at the end of this season, so I can see him being the one to get the boot.

Back