• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Altrincham v Southend United, Saturday 11th November, 15:00k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Nick Hayes (if available)

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 64 86.5%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • Brooklyn Kabongolo

Votes: 62 83.8%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Jack Bridge

• Noor Husin

• Oli Coker

• Wes Fonguck

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • Daniel Kanu

• Harry Cardwell

• David Martin (if fit)

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Mauro Vilhete

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Beau Macdonald

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Lose

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
After a well-earned rest, it’s back on the road for the blues, this time to Greater Manchester for the match at 5th place Altrincham. If we hadn’t been deducted 10 points for non-payment of debts we would be right alongside them in the league (thanks Ron).

Phil Parkinson’s (no not that one!) side have been in good form this season with only two defeats in the league (one at home and one away) so far. Defeat at the first hurdle in the FA Cup to Oldham preceded draws with Kidderminster and Oldham in the league which means they’re 3 games without a win. Prior to the cup match they’d won 5 on the bounce and were 7 games unbeaten. Their form over the last 6 games is remarkably similar to ours so it should be a tight game.IMG_5304.jpeg

Blues players will hopefully have benefitted from a Saturday without a game after rejecting Wealdstone’s proposal to bring forward the league game between the two sides scheduled for Tuesday 21/11. This should have given those carrying knocks or the generally jaded a bit of additional recovery time between games and those returning from injury a bit more time on the training pitch and in the gym to get back up to speed.

We will be without Harry Taylor who will sit this one out after accumulating 5 yellow cards which means a bit of a reshuffle at the back with Brooklyn Kabongolo presumably starting alongside the dependable Kensdale and the returning captain Nathan Ralph. The other outfield starters should pick themselves, unknown injuries aside, but the goalkeeping position will be interesting conundrum due to the ongoing opaque National League embargo rules. Nick Hayes gave a man of the match performance in the last game at Boreham Wood so should be a shoe-in to start. However if David Martin is still a registered player and now fit again it maybe that Hayes has to be sent back to Ipswich. I guess we may not know the answer to this until the team is announced on Saturday afternoon.

In the meantime, who would you choose to start on Armistice Day, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
Shockingly short of options. Not a single thought about who to pick from me.

Looking ahead, if we pick up another injury or two and with Husin on international duty again we might not be able to field a team in a couple of weeks time.

Defence looks too left sided with Taylor out.

Will Kensdale move to the right side with Ralph or brook on the middle?

Fair play to Altrincham, they always try to play good football and entertain. We do tend to do better against those types of sides, so hopefully it works in our favour.

I always get nervous when our former players visit us but our ones never seem to do well against their former teams. I'm not expecting that to change regarding Mooney unfortunately. Would love to be proved wrong.

Hopefully Husin plays out of his skin and gives us a great performance before we lose him to international duty next week.

Need a big performance from Cards this week. He looked off the pace in the last few games, understandably so. Let's hope he, like the the rest of the team, have used their well earned break to recharge those batteries.

I'm going for a 2-1 win. Brooklyn and Cardwell to score.

For those going, the good news is it looks dry, fairly sunny, if a little chilly. So wrap up, but thankfully you shouldn't need a brolly on the open terrace.

Altrincham are a good footballing side. The antithesis of Boreham Wood. Should be a good game. I predict a draw.

Just bumping this as there seems to have been little interest in Saturday’s game so far.

The main debate is whether Hayes will be allowed to continue in goal now that Martin is fit. I wonder if Kev has clarity on the issue from the NL yet?

The other issue is around the absence of Harry Taylor and who will play right sided centre back. I can’t see Ralph playing anywhere but left sided so we either move both Kensdale and Kabongolo one place to the right or switch Kabongolo from left to right and keep Kensdale in his usual place. I favour the latter option and I guess the good news is we’ve had a couple of weeks to think about this and work with the revised back 3.

Hoping that Mooney is fit again and has a wonderful cameo off the bench against his old club, scoring the winning goal.

We may learn more after today’s press conference….or we may not as Kev often plays his cards close to his chest.

Should be a good test of just how good we are. And if Kev can keep the winning mentality going now that for the first time in years our future looks brighter (🤞) .

Gonna go for a 2-2.

Even though the rest was totally needed you do worry if a cliche, sluggish performance might follow. How many times have we seen teams have a rest and you hear the manager say after the game that it was hard for the team to get up to speed. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

On the game itself, I'm just trying to enjoy Kanu while we've got him. I'm also enjoying seeing two strikers play together too. It gives the opposition so much to think about. I think Kanu will have more luck against a footballing side again.

Most games are won and lost in midfield so I'm hoping Coker is fully recharged and Husin plays out of his skin before going away with Afghanistan (they have just appointed a new manager). It should be a good game. Utb!

Even though the rest was totally needed you do worry if a cliche, sluggish performance might follow. How many times have we seen teams have a rest and you hear the manager say after the game that it was hard for the team to get up to speed. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

On the game itself, I'm just trying to enjoy Kanu while we've got him. I'm also enjoying seeing two strikers play together too. It gives the opposition so much to think about. I think Kanu will have more luck against a footballing side again.

Most games are won and lost in midfield so I'm hoping Coker is fully recharged and Husin plays out of his skin before going away with Afghanistan (they have just appointed a new manager). It should be a good game. Utb!
Altrincham have had the same break as us.

For those going to Gateshead that haven't been there before, this is what the Gateshead International Stadium looks like.

View attachment 29808

As you can see it's a bit open and the forecast predicts 7°c and NW wind, so take yer big coat!!
At this stage I am more concerned with the forecast for Altrincham where we are playing this Saturday. Gateshead isn't until 25 November and I doubt the long range forecast is that accurate yet

At this stage I am more concerned with the forecast for Altrincham where we are playing this Saturday. Gateshead isn't until 25 November and I doubt the long range forecast is that accurate yet

According to the Met Office which has been pretty accutate these last few days it's due to be sunny with temp around 7/8 ° C. and any breeze will be from ENE. So wrap up warm.

Which will teach me to stick my post in the right thread. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm out and about at the moment but will move it when I get home.

Later - Now moved to the Gateshead thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back