• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
TEN months on from his devastating first round knock out at the hands of Breidis Prescott, the so called "Boy who would be King" Amir Khan claimed his crown.

In front of a packed MEN Arena, Khan produced the maturest display of his career in disposing of the canny German-based Ukrainian Andreas Kotelnik. A unaminous decision gave Khan the title, and Kotelnik was left with little to say in his defence.

Acclaimed coach Freddie Roach, now toasting the 25th Champion of his career, has worked wonders with Khan in a short amount of time and his tutelage showed, as Khan bobbed and weaved his way around Kotelnik's approaches before countering with series of jabs so quick, Kotelnik will be hurting yesterday.

Khan took ten of the twelve rounds as his much questioned chin bore the brunt of Kotelniks sporadic assaults, with Khan troubled only once throughout the fight as a left hook caught his temple in the eighth round.

In a skillful rather than powerful display, Khan's footwork was exceptional as he danced his way around his opponent, leaving Kotelnik chasing shadows for large parts of the fight. His mental strength proved to be just as exemplary, as Khan rallied to every attack with a stronger, faster and much more clinical response.

As much as Khan impressed, Kotelnik proved little opposition and will be disappointed not to trouble the young Brit further than he did... Especially considering Khan had only gone the distance once before in his career.

In a sparsely populated weight division, the boy turned king will not find much in his way, however a prospective fight with fellow Brit hero Ricky Hatton, currently in hospital recovering from serious food posioning, will wet the appetites of many a British boxing fan.

Last edited:
Something about Khan that i just cant stand.. always hoping he loses whenever he is in a fight. Think Hatton would make light work of him if it ever happened which i highly doubt it would. Khan is nowhere near the level of Mayweather or Paquio

Before last night, I would've completely agreed... And I still do, but the quality of his performance last night put an element of doubt in my mind. Khan would never bother Hatton, there'd be no danger of a knock out, but Hatton has never dealt well with quick-handed boxers and Khan could well pick up a points victory purely on number of punches landed.

If anything showed last night, it's that Freddie Roach is well deserving his moment in the sun. To turn Khan from what was floored by Prescott to the Khan I saw last night takes some doing.

but Hatton has never dealt well with quick-handed boxers

Floyd Mayweather? The best of the best? His hand speed is probably better than Khan's.

Then you've got the Pacman, whos is probably as quick, if not quicker than Mayweather now.

Both these fighters showed devastating speed, but also had the power to beat Hatton via KO.

Trust me this fight will happen, but the date will depend on the venue.
They would have to wait until next summer for a Wembley showdown, whereas The Millenium Stadium would be suitable for a November clash.
If reports are true, it looks like Hatton will face seschenko, the current WBA welterweight Champ first.

Agree with Graysblue ESB, Mayweather is probably the fastest handed boxer I've seen, and that includes Khan.

however a prospective fight with fellow Brit hero Ricky Hatton, currently in hospital recovering from serious food posioning, will wet the appetites of many a British boxing fan.

Good piece - make sure you proof everything before it goes out if this is copy you're publishing. Spell-checker won't always pick things up (e.g. the word in bold above, which should be "whet").

Impressed that Khan's chin managed to last 12 rounds - maybe this will silence all those who seemed ridiculously eager to dance on his boxing grave after the Prescott bout.

Matt

I know, I realised the error as soon as I proof read it and quickly made amendments :whistling:

Grays, that's kind of the angle I was taking, both Mayweather and Pacquiao used their devastating speed to demolish Hatton, but I suppose it is a bit questionable putting Amir Khan in the same bracket of Mayweather and Pacquiao.

As for the fight itself, It all depends on Hatton's next performance. If he boxes well and looks in good shape, then I'm all for it happening... Warren was forthright with his views about Hatton in the press conference Saturday night and I'd like nothing more than for Ricky to shut him up.

However, I grew up watching Hatton, He's probably my favourite British boxer and I'd hate to see him duck out to another loss.

I know I would prefer to see Khan fighting Prescot again than Hatton. Something I always admired about Lennox Lewis was that he went back to avenge his 'shock defeats'.

I'd love to see a rematch, but I think Khan harbours his future at a different weight class now. Prescott is a Big, Big hitter, and the punch he landed on Khan would've sorted most boxers at that weight class... I don't think much has changed in Khan's physical make-up, he's just a much better boxer now than he was then. Whilst his chin did hold up against Kotelnik, he was never hit with anything close to what Prescott landed on him.

I'd love to see a rematch, but I think Khan harbours his future at a different weight class now. Prescott is a Big, Big hitter, and the punch he landed on Khan would've sorted most boxers at that weight class... I don't think much has changed in Khan's physical make-up, he's just a much better boxer now than he was then. Whilst his chin did hold up against Kotelnik, he was never hit with anything close to what Prescott landed on him.

the knockout punch by Prescott was exactly that, a knockout punch and I don't think anyone would have taken it. It was unsighted and Khan was unbalanced and the punch landed flush. Khan has shown he can protect himself and seen the punches coming... as you say it's a technical issue rather than physical

the knockout punch by Prescott was exactly that, a knockout punch and I don't think anyone would have taken it. It was unsighted and Khan was unbalanced and the punch landed flush. Khan has shown he can protect himself and seen the punches coming... as you say it's a technical issue rather than physical

Good point, and that happens to most & the best boxers in their career, Cooper flattening Clay will long remain in the memory, luckily for Clay (not Ali at the time) Angelo Dundee spotted a "split" glove and bought him some recovery time, before he stopped our 'Enery on cuts.

Impressed that Khan's chin managed to last 12 rounds - maybe this will silence all those who seemed ridiculously eager to dance on his boxing grave after the Prescott bout.

Matt

It was nice to see him go the distance, but you must remember Kotelnik is not a big hitter. I feel if Khan went up against a big power puncher i.e. Ricky Hatton, then his chin will get tested to the limit

TBH you've got to applaud ANY boxer who can go the distance and not be KO'd

Matt the Shrimp said:

Matt
To be fair though, it's not just Prescott who's tagged him. He's been knocked down a few times before that. I happen to think he is definitely a bit chinny, and Frank Warren has done a tremendous job in getting him the matches he has had since the Prescott fight. Interesting to note, Prescott lost a World title fight on Friday after putting the other guy down in the 1st round.

As for the fight itself, It all depends on Hatton's next performance. If he boxes well and looks in good shape, then I'm all for it happening... Warren was forthright with his views about Hatton in the press conference Saturday night and I'd like nothing more than for Ricky to shut him up.

However, I grew up watching Hatton, He's probably my favourite British boxer and I'd hate to see him duck out to another loss.

Firstly, Frank Warren is a **** anyway, and i would love nothing more than to see The Hitman win and smile into Warren's face. :)

Secondly, i'd love to see the fight and honestly think it is a 50/50 fight.
They both have their strengths, Hatton - brute force, tenacity, never die attitude. Khan - speed, movement, but they both have their frailties; Khan looks a little "lightweight" at this level. He doesn't seem to have the power to KO The Hitman, but has Ricky still got it in him to be the Bulldog we've seen so many times?

IMHO i think Hatton SHOULD have a "warm-up" fight, so to speak, but wouldn't be surprised if these two got it on in November.

Also, The Hitman is my Fav boxer of all time, and there is no better atmosphere than watching him fight live. Even better than when we beat Man U at the Hall!!!

Firstly, Frank Warren is a **** anyway, and i would love nothing more than to see The Hitman win and smile into Warren's face. :)

Secondly, i'd love to see the fight and honestly think it is a 50/50 fight.
They both have their strengths, Hatton - brute force, tenacity, never die attitude. Khan - speed, movement, but they both have their frailties; Khan looks a little "lightweight" at this level. He doesn't seem to have the power to KO The Hitman, but has Ricky still got it in him to be the Bulldog we've seen so many times?

IMHO i think Hatton SHOULD have a "warm-up" fight, so to speak, but wouldn't be surprised if these two got it on in November.

Also, The Hitman is my Fav boxer of all time, and there is no better atmosphere than watching him fight live. Even better than when we beat Man U at the Hall!!!

Hatton vs Khan at the CoM stadium, I think i'd cream my pants!

I'd love to see a rematch, but I think Khan harbours his future at a different weight class now.

Good point about the weight class, but TBH at the moment the 140lb/147lb weight is the hardest around. To succeed at it you must beat the best. Unfortunately Khan doesn't come close to the best at the moment.

Also a rematch would be good, and Khan would probably win, but put yourself in Khan's shoes;

A fight against Prescott - purse of about 500k+

A fight against Hatton - purse of about £12m

Back