• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
My seat on the sofa is reserved, my snacks and drinks are set, my TV is set to channel 405 and we're all ready to go for the latest Summer Blockbuster that is transfer window deadline day 2009. At least, that's what Sky would have you believe is going on in living rooms across the country.

The only element more farcical than Sky's outrageously over-hyped and over-dramatised coverage of todays events is the fact Sky also felt the need to advertise it across the network... Two damn weeks ago. We can all understand that, for many football fans, deadline day is where hopes are dashed and dreams are made... The last gasp moves to bring in that twenty-goal-a-season forward or that rock at the back are monumental, but surely that is what each clubs website is for? Do I really care that Shrewsbury Town have beaten the 5pm Buzzer to bring in Dave Defender from Harrogate Town? Not one Iota.

Don't get me wrong... An extra four hours a day with Georgie Thompson is great, but wheeling out the transfer hacks in the middle of the day with eight mobile phones all going off at once, rushing around trying to organise Harry Redknapp's deal for A. Frican, is like a badly written episode of Dallas being aired live and in real-time... The way Sky have been advertising this, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Bauer dove into shot at 4:59pm interrogating Benjani as to who he's currently working for.

The fact remains that Sky are making a spectacle on last years drama. Robinho's move to City and Berbatov's move to United all happened at the last gasp, but Mark Hughes has made his big name signings early this year and, whilst Ferguson could well dip into the market today, the most high profile transfer being made this morning is David Bentley, you may remember him... medium height, stupid hair, shoots from half-way, and his "maybe-move" to Man City in exchange for Petrov.

Outside of the Premiership, managers curse the transfer window. Away from the bright lights and sing-song of the Premiership, the transfer window means vastly inflated prices and players leaving huge gaps unfilled when they pack up their bags and leave without notice. Like the Bosman ruling, to most League managers, the window is an unnecessary evil that brings out the worst in football... The conference operates with no window and, funnily enough, works just fine.

In the coming years, Sky might just not have such a product to market so intensely.

Back