• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ankle

Shrimper

Life President
Okay, just fell down the stairs, slipped and now my ankle is really hurting. I've done my ankle 3 times before but i'm not sure if i should be worried, it looks a little red. Any signs i should look out for, i.e by when should it swell up if it is broken? Should i seek solace with Laurent?

If serious It would swell immediately (like mine 2 weeks ago!)
Just use RICE for now (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and hopefully the bruising (if any should come out.
If you cant put any weight on it whatsoever, get it checked out for hidden damage.

Yeah, there's a bit of bruising, last time i did it in i was told to keep it in an elevated position, will try that. Thanks.

Was you carrying your laptop at the time? If not you'll survive coz you made it to your computer! If you are still at the bottom of the stairs let us know and one of us will get you an ambulance.

If you press on either of the bony bits on your ankle and it hurts, you need to get an x ray. If you have pain just behind the bony bit on the outside of the foot or just above it you need to get an x ray. If you run your hand up your little toe all the way up the foot bones and have pain where the foot bones joint the ankle bones you need to get an x ray.

And if you can't weight bear on it, not that it hurts to weight bear but if you grit your teeth you can hobble to the toilet, i mean you collapse when you try and put weight on it you need to get it x rayed.

If you press on either of the bony bits on your ankle and it hurts, you need to get an x ray. If you have pain just behind the bony bit on the outside of the foot or just above it you need to get an x ray. If you run your hand up your little toe all the way up the foot bones and have pain where the foot bones joint the ankle bones you need to get an x ray.

And if you can't weight bear on it, not that it hurts to weight bear but if you grit your teeth you can hobble to the toilet, i mean you collapse when you try and put weight on it you need to get it x rayed.

Basically, go get it x-rayed lol

Well if he goes down there and none of those things occur, chances are they wont x ray it so will be a waste of a fair few hours for him.

I went and had it looked at, not bad. Just a bruise and bit of swelling, should be okay. :)

Keep it moving. My experience of sprained ankle/torn ligaments from playing footy.

1st time Basildon Hospital, crutches, rest it completely. Didnt play again for over 3 months.

2nd time, went to Southend Hospital, took the crutches I had never returned. First thing they did was take away the crutches, made sure it wasnt broken, told me to walk as normally as possible and when sitting keep moving it as far as the bit when it started hurting.
Playing again in a month.

Don't keep your weight off it totally, it will just stiffen up then long time there will be problems.

Try and walk as normally as possible but only short distances, when you are walking on it put it on a foot rest. When you ice it put the ice on for 15 minutes at a time then leave it for half an hour and put it back on, the swelling will go down a lot quicker.

If it hurts in a certain area, use an ice cube instead of a whole ice pack, ice the area with the cube and instead of leaving it in place rub the ice cube transversly across the area where the pain is.

Keep it moving. My experience of sprained ankle/torn ligaments from playing footy.

1st time Basildon Hospital, crutches, rest it completely. Didnt play again for over 3 months.

2nd time, went to Southend Hospital, took the crutches I had never returned. First thing they did was take away the crutches, made sure it wasnt broken, told me to walk as normally as possible and when sitting keep moving it as far as the bit when it started hurting.
Playing again in a month.

I'd go even further. When I did my ankle playing football I saw a physio who gave me some stretching exercises to do. They hurt so much I was nearly in tears, but blimey were they worth it.

Don't keep your weight off it totally, it will just stiffen up then long time there will be problems.

Try and walk as normally as possible but only short distances, when you are walking on it put it on a foot rest. When you ice it put the ice on for 15 minutes at a time then leave it for half an hour and put it back on, the swelling will go down a lot quicker.

If it hurts in a certain area, use an ice cube instead of a whole ice pack, ice the area with the cube and instead of leaving it in place rub the ice cube transversly across the area where the pain is.

Don't ever put ice directly on an injury. If you leave it on too long you can cause damage to the nerves. Always put ice in something, or use a bag of frozen peas.

I had what I thought was a sprained ankle a few years back, but I hadn't done anything. I went to A&E who told me it was just a sprained ankle. A few days later it hadn't shifted, so I went to a walk-in jobby in East London. They said it might be osteomyelitis. Now, by this stage, my knee on my other leg had started to swell, and was becoming a bit painful. After realising how bad osteomyleitis could be, my GP saw me first thing the next day. After I told him I had a fever and an upset stomach, I was rushed into hospital, and operated on that day, for fear I had infected joints. I couldnt move - I had to get help to have a shower, and I stayed immobile for about a week. After 2 weeks, I was let out, and told how to use crutches. I was at home for a week, before I was admitted again because I still felt unwell. Bearing in mind at this time my daughter was only 7 months old this was a stressful time. Back in the hospital for another week, and steroid injections seemed to do the trick. I was then put on methotrexate, a nasty anti-cancer drug and told to have blood tests every 6 weeks. 18 months later, I am now off methotrexate, but know that any slight swelling can mean a trip back to hospital, because of my genetic make-up, apparently I have sero-negative athropathy.

Anyway, I'm sure yours is just a sprained ankle, but always wise to get a second, third and fourth opinion. Heck, it took 5 people to diagnose me properly.

Okay, just fell down the stairs, slipped and now my ankle is really hurting. I've done my ankle 3 times before but i'm not sure if i should be worried, it looks a little red. Any signs i should look out for, i.e by when should it swell up if it is broken? Should i seek solace with Laurent?

I fear you might lose your foot.

Back