• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Struggle to understand the animosity towards him, TBH. He seems like a good guy, a good manager and Wycombe really like him. He saved them last season and was 30 seconds away from taking them up this season. Yes his team were full of timewasting/injury feigning but lets not kid ourselves that we wouldn't have been doing that ourselves if we were in that position.

Struggle to understand the animosity towards him, TBH. He seems like a good guy, a good manager and Wycombe really like him. He saved them last season and was 30 seconds away from taking them up this season. Yes his team were full of timewasting/injury feigning but lets not kid ourselves that we wouldn't have been doing that ourselves if we were in that position.

The big problem I have with him is that every time the ball went out he puts his arms in the air gesticulating to try and get the decision.

Also, I think it was when they scored, he went over to the Southend bit and had to be stopped by the 4th official.

We would have been time-wasting as well but I hope we wouldn't pass on a 2-on-1 like they did and go straight for the corner flag.

Must admit this has given me reason to think again about my previous opinion of GA:

Ainsworth said: “I made a big point of standing next to Phil and saying ‘I’m not going to celebrate if we score every penalty and I’m not going to rub that in your face’ and he reiterated that he wouldn’t do it to me and we had a good moment of respect on the halfway line when the penalties were going in because for 120 minutes we are involved and in charge but penalties is a lottery – how many times have we said that.“Phil gets some stick from various places but I respect him and he has always been good to me.”
Ainsworth then made his players and staff watch as Southend lifted the trophy, with the Blues boss applauding as vigorously as the Shrimpers fans – a sign of the former winger’s class.
He explained: “It is about respect and it is about what Wycombe Wanderers stands for now and that is doing things the right way.
“I’m not going to change football on my own but you have to be respectful for your opponents and I wanted them to stand there and almost look at it and feel it. I want them to want it next year. They wanted it this year and we want it next year.
“It was a respectful moment because they stood up to us and tied with us over 120 minutes and there aren’t many teams who have done that this year so well done Southend.
“[But] Wycombe Wanderers will fight another day in League Two and I can’t wait.”

The big problem I have with him is that every time the ball went out he puts his arms in the air gesticulating to try and get the decision.

Also, I think it was when they scored, he went over to the Southend bit and had to be stopped by the 4th official.

We would have been time-wasting as well but I hope we wouldn't pass on a 2-on-1 like they did and go straight for the corner flag.
Surely the same could be said of Brown, when we scored he celebrated towards the Wycombe fans.

Surely the same could be said of Brown, when we scored he celebrated towards the Wycombe fans.

Indeed. I don't think stuff like that is a big deal. I quite like to see a manager give it back a little after they've had thousands shouting abuse at them for most of the game

He turned, put his fist in the air and walked forward a little. He didn't get in their face as much.

Ainsworth's comments after were nice though.

One of those managers we would all love if he was in charge of our club and hate anywhere else. Wycombe fan I know said he lives every moment on the touch line as though he is still playing and they love him because he's so passionate. Can't argue with that, although his constant gesticulating and complaining does wind others up its easy to see why it's made him so popular down there.

Think he might have come of distinctly second best if Coughlin had taken him up on his invitation to "see him afterwards" lol... :stunned:

Was a good player but looks to me like a drunken ballet dancer on the line. Poses for the cameras unlike our manager, err whoops:sad:

Really worried now that Im going soft.... I liked the clip on TV when he put his head on Phil's shoulder after their penalty sneaked in off the post... I felt some empathy with him. This following on from Ed Balls interview with Nick Robinson when he seems nearly human rather than the arrogant smug no all... oh don't start me off again

Their players have been coached to behave that way all season. Ours are not saints but they're nothing like that. And I for one are happy we got our of that horrible league not play acting like that, and they are still there.

Ainsworth isn't everyone's cup of tea but he has done really well at Wycombe. Not got a big squad but took them very near to promotion

Do not be fooled by this slippery character. It's all show. If Wycombe reach the playoff final next year and go one up with 25 minutes to go, the tactics will be the same - dishonourable time wasting and feigning of injury. Ainsworth is an actor creating falsehoods, playing mind games.

Ainsworth may get respect from other managers by these comments and actions , but thats what he is after, being liked in the game. Whether other supporters like his underhand cheating, dispruptive and timewasting tactics is no concern of his.

Back