• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another thing I can't stand.....

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
....and that's the likes of splinky Brian Glanville and James Richardson when commenting on Italian football insisting on saying names of players/managers/teams in a stupid Captain Bertorelli Italian accent. Glanville was on Breakfast on BBC this morning, and I've never liked the pompous old ****, but he went further down in my estimation this morning talking of Fabio Capello (say in faux Italian accent) and Meeee-larn. Richardson is just the same.

But Glanville then spoke of Sven-Goran Eriksson but didn't put on a ooodly-spoodly-ooodly Swedish accent when he said his name, nor did he go all British film Nazi on us when he said Jurgen Klinsmann. So why do they do it for the Italians? It doesn't make you sound intellectual and clever, or make you a hit with the ladies, it just makes you look like even more of a ****.

Where's me guns.:guns: :guns:

....and that's the likes of splinky Brian Glanville and James Richardson when commenting on Italian football insisting on saying names of players/managers/teams in a stupid Captain Bertorelli Italian accent. Glanville was on Breakfast on BBC this morning, and I've never liked the pompous old ****, but he went further down in my estimation this morning talking of Fabio Capello (say in faux Italian accent) and Meeee-larn. Richardson is just the same.

But Glanville then spoke of Sven-Goran Eriksson but didn't put on a ooodly-spoodly-ooodly Swedish accent when he said his name, nor did he go all British film Nazi on us when he said Jurgen Klinsmann. So why do they do it for the Italians? It doesn't make you sound intellectual and clever, or make you a hit with the ladies, it just makes you look like even more of a ****.

Where's me guns.:guns: :guns:

yeah i saw that... Faaarrrrbio!

But then, when Brooking regularly slaughtered Brazilian footballers' names, that would drive me up the bloody wall!

"Ber-bee-toe" (for Bebeto)
"Row-mare-ee-oh" (for Romario)
"Ho-say More-ee-noh" (for Jose Mourinho)

The latter name, I suppose, shows that there's a balance to be struck. Calling him "Ho-say" just makes you look like an ignoramus. Pronouncing his surname in full Portuguese style ("Mureenyo") makes you look a bit "Grim Up North London".

Calling AC "Mee-lan" strays into the latter category, just as calling the other lot "Inter Milan" strays into the former.

:)

Some Portuguese journalist was on 5 Live this morning somehow pronouncing Milan to sound like Ireland.

I have no idea how he managed it.

But then, when Brooking regularly slaughtered Brazilian footballers' names, that would drive me up the bloody wall!

"Ber-bee-toe" (for Bebeto)
"Row-mare-ee-oh" (for Romario)
"Ho-say More-ee-noh" (for Jose Mourinho)

The latter name, I suppose, shows that there's a balance to be struck. Calling him "Ho-say" just makes you look like an ignoramus. Pronouncing his surname in full Portuguese style ("Mureenyo") makes you look a bit "Grim Up North London".

Have you ever seen FootBrazil on Sky?
Oh dear, oh dear. There's a guy on there who does the voiceover with an American accent (guessing he might be Brazilian but spent a load of time honing his English in the US) and he really accentuates his pronounciation of any of the Portuguse/Brazilian names.

Coor-inch-eee-arnths [Corinthians] seems to be his biggest crime!
Or Edge-mooon-dao [Edmundo]

I know it's the exact way to say these names but on the other hand in English it just sounds plain silly!

Last edited:
I know it's the exact way to say these names but on the other hand in English it just sounds plain silly!
I know what you mean... and I agree that a balance needs to be struck. In defence of commenators everywhere, though, there really are no hard and fast rules on this.

I mean, why is Paris pronounced "Par-iss" and not "Par-ee", yet Nice is "nee-se" and not "nice"...?

:o

It really is one of those things that you have to make up as you go along. Personally, I would probably call the Paulista footy side "Cor-inch-ians" - a sort of halfway house (and so as to distinguish them from the Corinthian Casuals!); whereas I wouldn't soften the first "d" of Edmundo, since that's a bit much.

Oh, and I've remembered another Brooking-ism that really annoyed me: the defender Aldaír, who Brooking always referred to as "Al Dare", which really f***ed me off (it's Al-da-eer Trev, you numpty!).

:thump:

Part of me thinks you should at least show people, cities and countries the courtesy of trying to pronounce their names properly.

But then again part of me thinks **** 'em. Where the **** were Brazil and Italy during WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Grenada and the Falklands campaign?

Last edited:
Where the **** were Brazil and Italy during WWII?

Italy were fighting us, remember!

And Brazil sent a sizeable expeditionary force to assist the Allies during World War II (to Italy coincidentally)...

Also, Brazil was the only independent South American country to declare war on Germany during the First World War...

Last edited:
And Brazil sent a sizeable expeditionary force to assist the Allies during World War II (to Italy coincidentally)...

Also, Brazil was the only independent South American country to declare war on Germany during the First World War...

This is what I love about this board - on here slating the pronounciation of some people, and yet I still manage to learn something!

Back