• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anti-austerity campaign

Anti-austerity campaign

• I'm all for it.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I'm against it.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Bart.No opinion etc.

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
That was my whole point. People are entitled to protest but there is a modern phenomenon of those protesting expecting everyone else must take the action they are demanding.

And there's also a modern phenomenon of those people who assume everyone will do as they do.

But that's not democracy Alan. Voting has to be a choice and not a forced issue. The left lost and they don't like it so they're marching - AGAIN, bid deal. The silent majority spoke last may end of.

How can 37% of the voting population be a silent majority?

There you go again, surmising. Your attempts at it are similar to your betting, not very good. Those many people who seriously thought there was going to be another Tory/LibDem coalition must have been living in a bubble for the previous 5 years. Even you must noticed the mauling they got in local and European elections. It was odds on that, that would be repeated in an GE.

You could have made quite a lot of money for yourself betting on a Tory majority.Somehow I doubt you did.:smiles:

My God, did I read earlier that Abbott gave a good account of herself on Sunday Politics? Hope she was wearing a seat belt.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/06/diane-abbotts-car-crash-sunday-politics-interview-shows-the-depth-of-labours-denial/

“Anyone with a young child going into the job market now knows that the jobs are insecure and relatively low-paid: that’s if you can get a job at all.”

Dianne Abbot made good points about young people and the job market.

(And I speak from personal experience as the father of a 21 year old, working at a campsite on the Costa Brava).

Most jobs on offer for young people are insecure and relatively low-paid.

If I were you,I'd switch to the New Statesman (NS) rather than the Spectator, if you want to read a serious political weekly.

“Anyone with a young child going into the job market now knows that the jobs are insecure and relatively low-paid: that’s if you can get a job at all.”

Dianne Abbot made good points about young people and the job market.

(And I speak from personal experience as the father of a 21 year old, working at a campsite on the Costa Brava).

Most jobs on offer for young people are insecure and relatively low-paid.

If I were you,I'd switch to the New Statesman (NS) rather than the Spectator, if you want to read a serious political weekly.

I'm getting confused: what country are we talking about now?

You have a free vote - if you can't be bothered for whatever reason but then go crying onto a march then I really don't have much sympathy.

You said this:

But that's not democracy Alan. Voting has to be a choice and not a forced issue. The left lost and they don't like it so they're marching - AGAIN, bid deal. The silent majority spoke last may end of.

I asked how 37% of the voting population can be a silent majority?

I'm not sure what your answer has to do with my question. I also don't understand why you assume that those that protested didn't vote, , but there you go.

You have a free vote - if you can't be bothered for whatever reason but then go crying onto a march then I really don't have much sympathy.

Out of interest, do you know for sure that the people protesting didn't vote? It seems to be taken as read on this thread, but do you actually know that?

Out of interest, do you know for sure that the people protesting didn't vote? It seems to be taken as read on this thread, but do you actually know that?

I'm sure most did and they lost. I was up in London on Saturday to see Death of a Salesman at the Noel Coward theatre and had to walk past many of the usual suspects with their kids and tatoos and ******** banners. I felt quite good as I thought to myself this is what living in a free society means but I'm sure this was lost on them. The police overtime bill however must have been horrendous. What the left fail to realise is that even if we had proportional representation "austerity" parties would have wiped the the "anti austerity parties".

I'm sure most did and they lost. I was up in London on Saturday to see Death of a Salesman at the Noel Coward theatre and had to walk past many of the usual suspects with their kids and tatoos and ******** banners. I felt quite good as I thought to myself this is what living in a free society means but I'm sure this was lost on them. The police overtime bill however must have been horrendous. What the left fail to realise is that even if we had proportional representation "austerity" parties would have wiped the the "anti austerity parties".

So you think they did vote?

I'm getting confused: what country are we talking about now?

Last time I looked the Costa Brava was in Spain.We're going up there at the weekend, so if it's moved I'll be sure to let you know.:winking:

(Incidentally, our 21 year old daughter has also done low-paid,insecure and temporary work in a pub restaurant in Cornwall and at a summer theatre festival in Villeneuve (just over the river from Avignon).

come on TUIB we've all done those temporary jobs in our youth. I worked in MK Electric, various bakeries, was a road sweeper and worked in a laundery. In none of these jobs did I think they were permanent and neither did the employers. I think zero hour contracts in those days were called casual contracts. All looking back were important for my development as a person in working with people and making relationships and understanding real life. In one a fellow worker was a former MP for Aberdeen. We've all done these jobs. The statistics suggest the majority of jobs created in the last few years are actually permanent and reasonably paid.

Another pointless demonstration by the usual self-righteous rent-a-mob of students, millionaire celebrities and diehard old trade unionists. What are they hoping to achieve? Do they think Osborne and Cameron are now going to change their mind about cutting £12bn of welfare?

I'm fed up of hearing all this rubbish about "only 24% of the electorate voted Tory" bla bla. They got more votes than anyone else - that's how democracy works. If we'd had PR we would now have a Tory-UKIP coalition which I'm sure the lefties would be even more outraged about. Whichever way you spin it, the Tories won convincingly. Also, all of the main parties except the Greens were advocating some form of austerity so the vast majority of people in the country recognise that we have a huge national debt that needs to be reduced. If austerity was hitting so many people that badly then we wouldn't have voted for it.

I respect the right to protest etc. but with these constant anti-Tory protests (and that's what they are) they're just making themselves look like childish sore losers. Any revolution led by Russell Brand, Charlotte Church and Owen Jones is not one I want to be a part of.

Another pointless demonstration by the usual self-righteous rent-a-mob of students, millionaire celebrities and diehard old trade unionists. What are they hoping to achieve? Do they think Osborne and Cameron are now going to change their mind about cutting £12bn of welfare?

I'm fed up of hearing all this rubbish about "only 24% of the electorate voted Tory" bla bla. They got more votes than anyone else - that's how democracy works. If we'd had PR we would now have a Tory-UKIP coalition which I'm sure the lefties would be even more outraged about. Whichever way you spin it, the Tories won convincingly. Also, all of the main parties except the Greens were advocating some form of austerity so the vast majority of people in the country recognise that we have a huge national debt that needs to be reduced. If austerity was hitting so many people that badly then we wouldn't have voted for it.

I respect the right to protest etc. but with these constant anti-Tory protests (and that's what they are) they're just making themselves look like childish sore losers. Any revolution led by Russell Brand, Charlotte Church and Owen Jones is not one I want to be a part of.

I think most of us on here understand how democracy works. We also mostly understand what the political facts of life are at the moment. Democracy also allows people who don't agree with the Government of the day to protest. It may be that within those that attended there was more than a fair sprinkling of self-righteous rent-a-mob of students, millionaire celebrities and diehard old trade unionists. I wouldn't mind betting that there were also decent citizens of the UK who took part but don't warrant that banner.

Back