• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperhosk

First XI
Hi, i am finishing my speech and want to *** about this day (it will be the 26th) is a Historical day and i would like something about Southend even just signing a player or recording a win? any ideas iv checked google and struggle to find anything?

Thanks in advance :)

If you wait until 26th Robin's website will have some details http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/
If you need the match results before then I think you will have to click on each season and have a look for the 26th August.

Here is one result from 2006/7 Championship season - Sat 26 Aug we lost 1-0 at Leicester City Att: 19,427

I'm assuming you're looking for something a bit more exciting than a 2-1 home victory over Cambridge United in 2002.

I'm assuming you're looking for something a bit more exciting than a 2-1 home victory over Cambridge United in 2002.

Although, to be fair, that was the last time that we've won a game on the 26th August.

I've dug out my programme from that Cambridge match and reproduce a bit of Nick Hart's "On This Day" column that appeared in it below, if that helps. He was writing largely about the following match:

Wrexham v Southend United
Barclays League Division Four
Saturday 26th August 1990

The season had begun with a comfortable 2-0 home win over York City and our first away game in the new surroundings of the Fourth Division was the long haul up to North Wales. The previous season had seen us relegated on the last day despite a 1-0 home win over Chester, as other results conspired against us and we went down on goal difference. In the close season manager Dave Webb had sold Shane Westley to Wolves, but the remainder of the squad was relatively unchanged and we began the campaign joint favourites to win the championship.

Wrexham had nearly passed us in the other direction, as they had narrowly lost a two-legged play-off final 2-1 to Orient and had made a disappointing start to their season with a 2-1 reverse at Scarborough. However, under manager Brian Flynn, they were expected to do well, so this was bound to be a stern test for the Blues.

As it turned out this would be the only league game in the first six that we failed to win, yet we still grabbed a point in a six-goal thriller. The new-found attacking flair on the road with Gary Bennett prominent saw us create many chances, yet go in at half-time 1-1 as Spencer Prior's goal was cancelled out by ex-Liverpool star Joey Jones.

The second half ebbed and flowed and it was the home side that were denied the points after they had twice taken the lead through a Steve Buxton penalty and a further strike from Andy Thackeray. We replied, however, with goals from David Crown and Bennett, though it was a shame that only 2,011 fans witnessed such an exciting early season encounter. Following the game Wrexham's season deteriorated and they were bottom come March, but five consecutive victories saw them finish the season in 21st position.

The Blues, as they are prone to do, endured a rollercoaster season, which saw us win our next four league games scoring 10 goals and conceding none, narrowly lose to Spurs on the away goals rule in a Littlewoods Cup second round tie and then lose 1-0 at non-league Aylesbury in the first round of the FA Cup. We would beat Aldershot 5-0 home and away, help send Colchester into non-league football with a 2-0 win at Layer Road in April, lose twice to newcomers Maidstone and yet it all came down to that unforgettable last-day victory at Peterborough in the heat where Crown's two goals saw us win promotion by the skin of our teeth. We were promoted with only 75 points, edging out Stockport by one point, despite having lost 15 league games.

Report by Nick Hart.

I've gone through and worked out our record for 26 August. On that date we have played 14 League matches and two matches in the League Cup, both of which we won. Both of the League Cup matches were at home, but only four of the League matches were.

Our League record for 26 August:

Pl - 14; W - 4; D - 3; L - 7; F - 12; A - 21

If we include the two League Cup matches, the record looks like this:

Pl - 16; W - 6; D - 3; L - 7; F - 16; A - 22

The Cambridge match in 2002 mentioned above is in fact the only League match we have won and indeed the only League match we have scored in on 26 August since the six-goal thriller at Wrexham (also mentioned above) in 1989, 24 years ago.

The last match to take place on this date was the 1-0 defeat away to Leicester City (mentioned above) in 2006. The first was a 2-0 win away to Newport County in 1922.

Our biggest win on this date came in 1997, when we beat Cardiff City 3-1 at Roots Hall in the Coca-Cola Cup First Round, Second Leg. Our heaviest defeat was when we lost 4-0 at home to Crystal Palace in 1933.

The game with the most goals was of the course the six-goal thriller at Wrexham described above.

I hope this is enough for you to be getting on with.

If you can stretch a day,on the 27th August 1955, we beat the inbreds 6 3 on there own ground. Now that's worth a cheer.

26th August 2014 - First League game at Fossets Farm. Southend kick off, kicking towards the Ron Martin Car Park end whilst defending Christian Hislop Terrace, not sure of the final score...hope this helps !

Back