• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got the heating on yet??

Heating came on this morning - I may turn the thermostat down because I am still wearing shorts.

Reactions: RHB
Gas fire on last night for an hour plus...the luxury of a hot water bottle at zzz time!

I did put a jumper on for work for the first time in a while today, but the heating is well and truly off, I always see how near I can get to November before the Wife batters me into submission

I don't think I can last until November, but I am on a mission. My monthly bills are 20th of each month, the last 2 months I've let them become estimated (paying a bit extra), with the £66 Gov grant (the reading I give on the 20th October), I want to see a zero bill.

Yeah, I need to get a fooking life :)

We don't have timers, it just aims for the thermostat (which is set at 19C), the flat says it's 19C at the moment so maybe it came on for a bit without me knowing in the night, either way it still feels cold. Apparently a 19C house in the winter feels colder than 19C in the summer so I might have to bump it up at some point, but it feels too early to do that yet.

No! Put extra layers on first!
Absolutely this, I was chatting to my brother the other day about when we were younger, we lived in a council house with No central heating and single glazed crital (sp) style windows which used to freeze up on the inside. we also went to sleep with about 10 blankets and nans obligatory knitted chequer blanket on top, we also used to wear a jumper indoors etc.... We do as a nation forget that putting extra layers on is still the best option when it gets chilly,
I know times change for the better in most cases, but we have all gone a little soft Imo

Absolutely this, I was chatting to my brother the other day about when we were younger, we lived in a council house with No central heating and single glazed crital (sp) style windows which used to freeze up on the inside. we also went to sleep with about 10 blankets and nans obligatory knitted chequer blanket on top, we also used to wear a jumper indoors etc.... We do as a nation forget that putting extra layers on is still the best option when it gets chilly,
I know times change for the better in most cases, but we have all gone a little soft Imo

Well said. I remember sleeping round my nans as a young lad, it was bloody freezy (no central heating), I went to bed with a hot water bottle.

My nan use to heat the front room which was toasty, infact, thinking back as a young lad, my childhood was pretty much the same with my mum and dad.

Last edited:
I did put a jumper on for work for the first time in a while today, but the heating is well and truly off, I always see how near I can get to November before the Wife batters me into submission
Me too !🤣🤣🤣🤣

Exactly! You knew Jack Frost had visited when you had ice on the inside of your windows! Double glazing was largely unheard of in the 60s and much of the 70s, and not many homes had the kind of insulation we do now. Slippers kept your feet warm. Cardigans or jumpers helped keep your body warm.

Well said. I remember sleeping round my nans as a young lad, it was bloody freezy (no central heating), I went to bed with a hot water bottle.

My nan use to heat the front room which was toasty, infact, thinking back as a young lad, my childhood was pretty much the same with my mum and dad.
I remember getting between the bed sheets and they were so cold it took your breath away.

I'm sitting in the lounge in a short sleeve polo shirt and herself is close by with probably three layers now on top and still telling me she's freezing. It's 19.2°c in our lounge and she's just had a quick look at the new smart meter that's been installed, so for the moment she is resisting suggesting extra heat. Never thought I'd be happy that a smart meter would work out a bit useful. Smug mode for the moment.

Not yet - gonna get at least to Oct. It's 19.6 degrees in the lounge at the moment - that'll probably drop to around 19.0 by the time I sit down to watch some tele tonight. Will just have a throw blanket over us rather than heating on

Back