• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone know why Pettefer wasnt involved today

Why would playing two attack minded wide players at home be suicidal against decent League One opposition? Are we not decent League One opposition then? I think some people have got the impression that this division is of a higher standard than it actually is.

Col Utd were comfortable mid table last season, and at one point, even topped the league, and yesterday, an under strength elev I'll admit, they were worse than a lot of teams we played last season.

There is nothing wrong with playing two attack minded wingers in my opinion, you have to take the game to the opposition when at home, and especially with Juppy out at the moment, this line-up allows us to do this. In my opinion, its not that Pettefer is defensive minded that he shouldnt play, its just that he isnt that good, plain and simple.

I have no problem with midfielders who are in the team to play the defensive role, to protect the back four and break up opposition attacks, ala Maher 8, but they need to bring more to the team than just that, and in my opinion, Petts doesnt do that.

I think his passing at times if way off beam, he very rarely goes forward, regardless of the situation, and I just dont think he adds anything to the team.

There will be times this season when playing Gower and Cole is possibly not the right option, away from home for example, but that doesnt mean that Pettefer has to play. In my opinion, I think we looked a lot more balanced yesterday with two players who are out and out wide men, and knew there positions.

For too long now, we have been playing people on the wing who dont naturally play there. Maybe that is why I am not keen on Petts as he is not a wide player, and therefore, he is not going to be at his best there. Players should play in the strongest positions, unless forced not to through injury and suspension etc.

I dont think Mark Gower looked unfit either, so far this season, he is looking much more like the player he was 18 months ago, and is much more involved in games.

As for Cole, he had a quiet game yesterday, but then scored an absolutely fabulous goal. It is going to take time for him to adjust to this level, but adjust he will, we have already seen glimpses of what he can do, and he will only get better with experience.

If I was Tilly, or in fact if I was me and just in charge of Southend, that would be the midfield quartet that would start if fit, and see how it goes, but give it time to flourish. Thje biggest plus this season, and ive been saying it since pre season, so ive finally got something right, is Luke Gutteridge.

He was outstanding yesterday, and from what I heard, he touched the ball more times than any other player Friday night. Tilly knew this boy had class to offer him a 3 year deal, and now it is starting to shine through, he was just awesome yesterday, and as much as I like Benno, I cant see him getting Luke's shirt for a while!!

Bring on Oldham!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 29 2005,23:55)]I thought Gower today was a little rusty at first, gave the ball away to cheaply and then in the final 15 mins he seemed to be out of puff and gave up on a few balls.
Be fair. It was boiling out there. Most players looked knackered at the end.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 30 2005,09:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 30 2005,08:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 29 2005,21:55)]football isn't about all out attack for 90 minutes
sad.gif
Something else suggesting we'll never be able to watch a season where Southend play à la Arsenal of a couple of years ago every game no matter who the opposition is
sad.gif

Back