• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Apart from SUFC who would you like to see promoted with Chesterfield?

Gateshead- a very long away trip
Bromley - plastic pitch

I like Barnet away, Altrincham and Oldham will be tick in the box new grounds for me

Relegation- anyone with a plastic pitch or a crap view
It depends on where you start from.
I did a reccy a while back comparing journeys by train from Southend to Ebbsfleet and Southend to Newcastle (Gateshead).
The fastest was around 45 minutes difference: Gateshead, the longer.
That said, if 'Heed remain an NL club please make the fixture in August or April.
That roofless stand in the depths of winter is an ask.

It depends on where you start from.
I did a reccy a while back comparing journeys by train from Southend to Ebbsfleet and Southend to Newcastle (Gateshead).
The fastest was around 45 minutes difference: Gateshead, the longer.
That said, if 'Heed remain an NL club please make the fixture in August or April.
That roofless stand in the depths of winter is an ask.
From just outside of Winchester (near France 🇫🇷) and Heed is well north of the M62 - makes it a very long day out.

But totally agree if they stay in NL 😎

Their finances are Tony Kleanthous - he bought the club in 1994. Substantially richer than Ron but more savvy. He owns the Hive - Barnet don’t.
May be wrong, but I am reasonably sure I read that Barnet intend to move back to Underhill after redeveloping the ground. I thought that The Hive was Council owned, but again may be wrong, but Wealdstone were at one point going to play there. I know the situation was complicated and Wealdstone became a nomadic Club.

May be wrong, but I am reasonably sure I read that Barnet intend to move back to Underhill after redeveloping the ground. I thought that The Hive was Council owned, but again may be wrong, but Wealdstone were at one point going to play there. I know the situation was complicated and Wealdstone became a nomadic Club.

Kleanthous bought the freehold of the ground from Harrow Council in 2018. Wealdstone were developing the ground in 2003 to 2005 but ran out of money/ investment and chose to develop Ruislip Manor’s ground. Barnet then leased the Hive in 2006.

A school has been built on the original Underhill site. It seems Kleanthous wants to develop a green belt site near the original ground. It also seems that Barnet Council say it won’t happen. They had been trying to find a new site in Barnet for many years and the Council had been less than helpful ( or wilfully obstructive) leading the only possible site in the Borough, Copthall Stadium, to Saracens.

I’d like Bromley to go up so they have to rip up their plastic pitch. I think they will “blow it” at the final hurdle though so they won’t have to.
Bromley have actually budgeted for losing the revenue they accrue from that pitch and made a determined push for promotion this season. That said, for me, Gateshead, all day long.

Barnet are indeed intending to move back to Barnet (don’t think it was Underhill specifically).

This might mean they double down on trying to get promotion or it might mean that they start tightening their belts as a move is a big expense even with a wealthy owner.

I think Oldham may have already blown it, albeit they do have four winnable games left.

It would be a shot in the arm for football in the North East if Gateshead made it, and they would get good away followings because of the proximity of Newcastle. Bromley are pretty local to me so I wouldn't mind them having a crack at League football.

I've seen us lose 7-0 at Barnet - in a season when we were promoted and they were relegated! And Aldershot were the first club I ever threw money in a bucket for, during the season they folded (cost us six points and removed Tony Rodwell's only professional hat trick from the record books, did that).

On balance...... Gateshead.

Whoever finishes 2nd in the table would get my vote

Never been a fan of the play offs, and that’s still despite that fantastic day at Wembley against Wycombe

Back