• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are markets ever any good?

Options.

• I work on a market I have loads of good quality merchandise on sale.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Benny boy at work is back today - Thank god as its quiet and I have been bored with just the girls in.

He has been to Fuerteventura with the Mrs for a week. We have just come back from our usual trip to one of Borough many crap cafes. As usual you have the same old holiday chats - What is the weather like etc etc.

Ben revealed that on one day of his holiday they got up early to go to a market. And to Ben disgust the market was full of crap.

Now personally I cant think of a any non-food fish,meat,veg market that is much cop. I think all markets bar the above are such a waste of time. Ben is sure that some markets are good.

Who is correct?

Have to agree - markets are generally full of crap and this is the man who grew up in Romford.

I do however remember a stall in Romford Market that sold "dodgy" ZX Spectrum and C64 games to a naive teenager....

Markets are sh!t. They may have been good back in the day but the standard of merchandise offered at your average market these days is pretty dire.

I'd like to nominate Romford market for a special award recognising EXTREME sh!tness.

Awful awful places as you said Dave, unless it's a for fresh food produce.
How I wish there were still decent fish, meat & fruit/veg markets in every town & city.

The huge one in Barcelona proves how amazing this type of market can be as well as a tourist attraction in it's own right!

The huge one in Barcelona proves how amazing this type of market can be as well as a tourist attraction in it's own right!

Damn straight! We get a small farmers market every other weekend and the food is so superior to the cr@p from Tescos.

As most have said fresh produce markets on the continent are excellent. But how much of our opinions on this are actually skewed by the fact that we do not have them here. A market here is some uncouth, bald, fat man shouting £10 a snowflake, £12 a cable at you in Cockneyese. For some reason, certain people like this. I'm embarassed at my Englishness at the thought of this.

i used to greatly appreciate the guy at Roots Hall market who sold pirated tapes of new chart albums for £2 throughout the early 90's. Since then, markets have been on an inexorable downwards slope.

I agree with all comments about food etc markets - I have Borough next to me and its superb but I am solely takign the crap markets where they sell clothes, toys etc etc.

Have to agree - markets are generally full of crap and this is the man who grew up in Romford.

I do however remember a stall in Romford Market that sold "dodgy" ZX Spectrum and C64 games to a naive teenager....

I am wondering if we have ever voted the same way before on any others polls. :hilarious:

As most have said fresh produce markets on the continent are excellent. But how much of our opinions on this are actually skewed by the fact that we do not have them here. A market here is some uncouth, bald, fat man shouting £10 a snowflake, £12 a cable at you in Cockneyese. For some reason, certain people like this. I'm embarassed at my Englishness at the thought of this.

There's a cracking fresh produce market in Leicester, and many Kent villages do a decent one.

Proper markets - boot fairs is where it's at. I made £100 at Sadlers Farm about a year ago flogging some old stuff, including my old Subbuteo set

i used to greatly appreciate the guy at Roots Hall market who sold pirated tapes of new chart albums for £2 throughout the early 90's. Since then, markets have been on an inexorable downwards slope.

I think calling the collection of bric-a-brac tables that assemble at RH every week a market is an insult to the word! :p

Damn straight! We get a small farmers market every other weekend and the food is so superior to the cr@p from Tescos.

Having said that, the Farmers Market Glasgow City Council put on is an absolute joke. I really want to try the one in the town where my parents now live but it's never been on when we're visiting.

I know exactly what you mean though about Tesco's, most of the fruit & veg is shocking & rots far too quickly (wonder if there's anything in the myth that they keep it all deep-freezed for months before it goes on sale). To be fair though, my local Tesco's have started selling vegetable selection boxes which for £10 gives you various in-season local produce. The are loads of independents doing this too & it's something I'm forever on at the Mrs to buy into (she's not a big fan of veggies though so it's tricky to get her to listen!)

There's a few farm shops around here as well which I find much better value. Also a nice olde worlde village with proper butchers shops etc which I keep saying that I'll make the journey to.

There's a good farm shop in Brentwood called Calcott Hall. The produce they sell is top notch and better than anything you get in a supermarket or Slumford Market...

The worst thing about markets, clothes ones particulalry, is that they sell cheap knock offs of evrything, mostly sports gear, the adidas fakes with four stripes etc. Pitsea market is king of crap

The worst thing about markets, clothes ones particulalry, is that they sell cheap knock offs of evrything, mostly sports gear, the adidas fakes with four stripes etc. Pitsea market is king of crap

You've clearly never had the misfortune to go to North Weald market.
There's so many knock-off Nigels there the authorities would be kept in paperwork for months if they ever bothered to go down there!

Back