• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Csboy

Manager
Morecambe was one of the low points of supporting Southend. we went there full of confidence expecting to win but if we had of won we wouldnt have had that wonderful day on Saturday and we wouldn't have received a trophy.

Maybe things were meant to be and losing at Morecambe even though totally demoralising at the time turned out fr the best.

Wasn't at Morecambe but I would imagine had we won there it would have been incredible for the travelling fans, but a bit more removed for everyone else. For sheer celebration and elation you just couldn't beat the final at Wembley on Saturday, I would think even the travelling hard-core wouldn't swap those memories for victory at Morecambe. So surely yes, it was worth losing up there given the way things turned out. Plus if 1000 or so of those extra fans at Wembley get the bug and start coming to more games it has to be the best outcome. Also I'll bet we made quite a bit more money out of the play-offs than we would had we gone straight up!

Yes.

Seeing your team promoted at Wembley is the stuff dreams are made of, and in the manner we did it made it the best day of my life.

I felt down for weeks after Morecambe, it was absolutely horrible to go all that way for nothing. But maybe, just maybe it was worth it.

Memories, big fat yes.

Wallet, big fat no.

Memories win all day long, so I'm glad. Just means eating cold beans for a month...

It was good in many ways, some are detailed below –

More revenue
More publicity
Day Trippers saw a successful team and after that result, might come back for more next season.
This so called investor can see the level of support i.e. a League 2 club taking nearly 60,000 fans to Wembley over 2 games in 2 years, very impressive and can’t do us any harm.
With confidence and spirit finishing so high, ‘might’ influence out of contract players to re-sign.

Sorry but I will swim against the tide ..... I was so gutted about Morecambe that I can't truthfully say that I am pleased we ended up in the dreaded play-offs.

Yes, it all turned out okay but I still wish we had finished third.

As someone who went up to Morecambe, saw the side give everything they had and ultimately come up short, I'm still gonna say yes it was worth it.

I sat with my head in my hands for the majority of extra time after Wycombe's goal. For me, we just didn't look like scoring so to grab a goal with virtually the last kick of the game is something which will stay with me for a very long time. From feeling so so low to the ultimate high in a matter of seconds reminded me why I put myself through the pain of following Southend for all these years.

Lets remember that we're the sort of side which will probably bring more disappointment than glory so when these moments come along you've really got to make the most of them.

I agree with the point on extra revenue etc. But for me its the actual games themselves that have made it all worthwhile for me. I now have the Stevenage second leg and the final on my Sky Plus box and they are 2 performances I'm gonna cherish forever.

Anyone that would have rather won at Morecambe after experiencing both these games is clearly mental. The scenes when Piggy scored that goal will stay with me for a lifetime.

Yes, although if you would have told me what was going to happen afterwards I probably would have called the men in white coats.

I think from an all round perspective it was good.

The players were humbled in my opinion at Morecambe, their run came to an end and therefore they had to re group , dig deep and ask some serious questions of themselves, and boy did they answer it !

The performances against Stevenage were superb and I think all the players grew in stature during these games.

The experience these players gained from the play offs of well will put us in great stead going forward.

Never ideal, but without that defeat, we would never have learned what fantastic spirit we have within these ranks. The play offs made me proud, of not just the name of Southend, but also every player that wore that jersey, whether they started or where in the squad.

What made Morecambe so unbearable was the length of the flippin' coach journey home - seemed to last for ever! Would I change things knowing what I know now? No, not a hope because our Wembley experience was absolutely what dreams are made of.

Morecambe from North Wales was a couple of hours drive each way, ticket was about £15 , programme £3 and free parking. Penned into the stand behind the goal watching us being outplayed by Morecambe made for a miserable time.:'(
Journey to Wembley was 4 hours each way, concession ticket £24, parking £30, programme £6, hearing Wycombe fans singing "We are going up" with 20 odd seconds left, then absolute ecstasy as young Piggot steered home a goal to match Benjamin's at Bury.
Watching our youngsters like Payne bury the penalties and gain promotion at the magnificent Wembley stadium and be part of 20000 Sarfenders singing their hearts out with relief at escaping from League 2, you bet I am glad we lost at Morecambe.
Still not got my voice back and keep flashing back to memories of a wonderful day:smile:

Sorry but I will swim against the tide ..... I was so gutted about Morecambe that I can't truthfully say that I am pleased we ended up in the dreaded play-offs.

Yes, it all turned out okay but I still wish we had finished third.

I'm with you all the way. I'd rather we won at Morecambe and been certain of promotion rather than go through the lottery of the play offs. It was a great weekend away but the manner in which we lost was so disappointing

You could say the same about any of the games we lost. I would of preferred we won them all and won the league

I'm glad we lost at Morecambe (actually I'd rather we'd drawn).

Just as I'm glad we didn't win at Grimsby in 2005 and I'm glad Barry Corr missed the penalty against Stevenage.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

How anyone can say they'd rather have won at Morecambe than have experienced the greatest single moment of unexpected joy, relief and exultation in SUFC history on Saturday is beyond me.
Don't get me wrong it would have been awesome to have clinched promotion at Morecambe, but it doesn't compare.

Unless they've misunderstood the question of course.

The play-offs in total cost me about £100 in train fares at least, plus tickets, programmes, etc. and pretty much three days worth of revision during exam period, but that Pigott goal and Dan's penalty save made it worthwhile.

Back