• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Austin Joins Watford

Good luck to Deano - he has certainly gone about this the right way, and leaves with all our best wishes.

Let's hope we are playing them next season though...

This article now up on the OS just confirms what a true gent Deano is, and what a loyal servant to Southend he has been over the years.

He knows who Tilly and Brush have lined up for the January transfer window, but he's not going to step in and steal them from under our noses.

Thanks a lot for all you've done, Deano, and good luck in the new job.

:clap:

seems some what of a shame as it looks like he probably had a huge role in getting both grant and sawyer to the club seeing as he knows the watford manager, formally chelsea res' manager so well, just hope tilly can keep the ties open with chelski. also you would have thought we would be first port of call for watford youngsters and they have produced a few, young, macnamee, mcanuff? i think, spring to mind

Never know if Tilly ever leaves he could replace him one day? ;)

Good luck Dean Austin, hope all goes well for him at Watford. Good to here he won't tip Watford off to our January wishlist.

Edinburgh, Furlong & Freedman are all good shouts to replace him.

Good luck to Dean Austin at Watford.

I've just read his interview, and I know I'm a 'glass half empty' person, but, I interpreted some of his statements as being somewhat of a 'billy big bollox'..... 'I'm off to a better club, I'm mixing with people of a higher calibre'..etc.

Who will take his place?....my cash is on Furlong.

Freedman will more than likely assist, he had the job at Palace.

I would think he must be in with a shout. He was very well respected last year by the whole squad and took attacking training sessions, i can't see it being any different at Southend.

Whether he can combine it with playing though would be the only issue with him. At his age he still has a couple of years left where as perhaps Furlong is more ready for slowing down

Rather Freedman concentrated on getting fit and playing for now - Furlong would be a great addition as he seems to have the right attitude, experience at the top level and can still pull the boots on now and again.

Plus he'd get some use out of being at the club! He must be bored silly...

Think he also comes from that way. He could be brilliant or useless of all I know but loved him as a player so good luck to him.
Yep, IIRC we bought him from St Albans & we also used to pick his brother Paul up around that way when going to play games against other supporters clubs around the country. Great days & a lot of fun. :cool:

I'd rather a defensive coach then Furlong personally, I think that if we got a good defensive coach in it would go a long way towards our ambitions of playoffs.

I'd rather a defensive coach then Furlong personally, I think that if we got a good defensive coach in it would go a long way towards our ambitions of playoffs.

I agree we could do with a decent Defensive Coach, but he can't work miracles (unless he has some Pro-plus for Francis, a stretching rack for Barrett and some handcuffs for Peter "the pusher" Clarke)

but wasnt austin a defender?..maybe we should have an attacker telling the defenders what to do..an insight into how an attacker thinks may help?..lets face it, cant be worse really.

but wasnt austin a defender?..maybe we should have an attacker telling the defenders what to do..an insight into how an attacker thinks may help?..lets face it, cant be worse really.

Austin was indeed a defender. The point everyone is also missing was that he was also RESERVE team coach.

If you want to blame the coaching for our first team defensive woes, I'd probably point the finger more at Brushy. Better still, we could look at the defenders (and midfielders) we've got to work with, because I'm pretty sure the coaching plan doesn't involve CLarke conceding free-kicks like he did for the winner on Saturday.

Deano was also head scout and I think the only defenders who joined us during that spell were Harding and Mulgrew, so I think he probably escapes blame on that front as well.

Always liked Deano, shame to see him go but meh. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Back