• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Not sure where they’ve got the figures from but https://t.co/fwBUl1ypH6?amp=1

We pay the 17th highest average weekly wage, around half of what Northampton and MK Dons pay, not much less than half of Bury and still less than Oldham.

Only Shrewsbury and Plymouth finished above us paying less.

Would imagine there’s a stark contrast in our squad from the Bwomono’s and Ba’s to the Kightly’s and Cox’s and some with big performance related bonuses.

It’s difficult to make too much from these figures. Does it include the young pros such as kyps for example. And then bonuses. A much better figure would be total wage budget

A starting question for me would be to ask if the "sauce*" of these figures has any credibility?

Or are they the same sort of "facts" that my greengrocer shares with me over a cauliflower and some apples?

*mrsblueslittleredbookofsouthendwages?

That average weekly pay for fans looks very much like the figure from the recent survey which had Southend as the lowest wages in the country. The one which was for wages paid for jobs in the town rather than earned by residents.

Bonuses make up a lot of a contract package. Let's take Ferdinand for example. His salary was allegedly leaked in court but that won't be his overall wage. He will be on an appearance bonus and clean sheet bonus. Then you've got top 6 and promotion bonuses, admittedly we wouldn't need to pay that this year, but the sentiment is there.

Other members in the squad would have similar packages. Cox goal bonus, Macca goals and assists etc.

Signing on fees have to be taken into considertion too. It's funny when some fans state that a certain club hasn't spent money for X amount of time. Money is always spent, even on 'free' transfers. Some agents may go into a contract negation and negotiate a higher weekly wage in exchange for a lower signing on fee, and visa versa.

Truth is, we will never ever truly know how much players really earn and what terms are within their contract. Josh Wright's situation has proved that.

Bonuses make up a lot of a contract package. Let's take Ferdinand for example. His salary was allegedly leaked in court but that won't be his overall wage. He will be on an appearance bonus and clean sheet bonus. Then you've got top 6 and promotion bonuses, admittedly we wouldn't need to pay that this year, but the sentiment is there.

Other members in the squad would have similar packages. Cox goal bonus, Macca goals and assists etc.

Signing on fees have to be taken into considertion too. It's funny when some fans state that a certain club hasn't spent money for X amount of time. Money is always spent, even on 'free' transfers. Some agents may go into a contract negation and negotiate a higher weekly wage in exchange for a lower signing on fee, and visa versa.

Truth is, we will never ever truly know how much players really earn and what terms are within their contract. Josh Wright's situation has proved that.

That does depend on where the numbers come from, if it’s from the accounts, ie player costs / average number of players, then it will include bonuses. May even include Ni contributions etc...

A starting question for me would be to ask if the "sauce*" of these figures has any credibility?

Or are they the same sort of "facts" that my greengrocer shares with me over a cauliflower and some apples?

*mrsblueslittleredbookofsouthendwages?

Im not sure how the mrsblue bit ended up in your post Rattus, it was part of my post in response to yours. Seems someone decided to delete mine. Not too sure why.

MK Dons players have an average salary of twice SUFC.

Lincoln City players earn ~ 300 sheets more a week than SUFC.

I think we are getting value for money.

Indeed, take Danny Cowley at Lincoln. He likes 90 per cent f his players to all be earning a similar weekly wage. How he gets round enticing new players and keeping his better players happy is by offering a decent signing on fee. The latter when negotiating extensions to contracts.

Players at the club don't get win bonuses or clean sheet bonuses, or goal bonuses. They might get a promotion bonus. PB put a stop to that a few seasons back according to CP.

It is hard to know what is true. I remember CP saying that win/goal/clean sheet bonuses were a thing of the past at Southend like Napster says and I'd consider CP a reliable source. I have also heard what Ferdinand is on from somebody who has heard it from someone else who would certainly know. That however contradicts what we think we know from Ferdinand's court appearance. If the court sum is correct then I'd imagine we'd have no problems offloading Anton but if it is what I have heard it is then we have zero chance without paying up a percentage of his contract or subsidising his wages at a new club. Maybe what happens with Ferdinand this summer will enlighten us a little?

It is hard to know what is true. I remember CP saying that win/goal/clean sheet bonuses were a thing of the past at Southend like Napster says and I'd consider CP a reliable source. I have also heard what Ferdinand is on from somebody who has heard it from someone else who would certainly know. That however contradicts what we think we know from Ferdinand's court appearance. If the court sum is correct then I'd imagine we'd have no problems offloading Anton but if it is what I have heard it is then we have zero chance without paying up a percentage of his contract or subsidising his wages at a new club. Maybe what happens with Ferdinand this summer will enlighten us a little?

Anton is definitely on decent money. A lot more than what the court appearance would suggest. As you say I can see us having to come up with some sort of deal or maybe we may have to release Turner as maybe we can't have both.

PB has stated he doesn't have goal bonuses etc so not sure how players money is made up but we were about 13th in total players budget for 2016/17. The budget was increased last year but L1 has become stronger financially each season since our last promotion.

You only have to look at this seasons final table to know that money talks in football. MK won this seasons badly run big club of L1 award. Shrewsbury win the punching above your weight award. Apart from those 2 the rest have got what they paid for.

Back