• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Avg

I use avg on my computer, love it. I have also installed it on my parents pc and its found some hideous trojan - trojan horse generic 10 which avg is struggling to remove. Anyone know how i can get rid of this trojan? Its hideous and seems to have hijacked the ie browser, rendering it almost useless, not to mention making the pc almost snail like.
Obviously formatting is last resort as i am not sure they still have the xp disc for re-install.

geoff-boycott.jpg

"I've got a bloody good average, tha' knows"

I use avg on my computer, love it. I have also installed it on my parents pc and its found some hideous trojan - trojan horse generic 10 which avg is struggling to remove. Anyone know how i can get rid of this trojan? Its hideous and seems to have hijacked the ie browser, rendering it almost useless, not to mention making the pc almost snail like.
Obviously formatting is last resort as i am not sure they still have the xp disc for re-install.

google, google and more google. i had one on my old computer that didn't shift and finally a solution came up on google... keep your eyes peeled!

http://www.bullguard.com/forum/10/How-to-remove-Trojan-horse-gen_60660.html

AVG is great.

One piece of advice - if you have regular scans scheduled (as is advisable) make sure you set the scan speed to "fast scan", else it takes forever. Fast scan doesn't skip anything or compromise thoroughness at all, it just stops AVG from limiting the amount of system resources it uses.

The main issue I have with AVG is if the scanning thing comes up before my laptop is connected to the net, it won't scan at all.

I have that too with my laptop. No big issue though as i can always check for updates and start the scan manually.

I really would recommend AVG. Used it for a good few years now and has not let me down once.

Em.

Just open the control centre and click on the 'check for updates' button on the left hand side. Sometimes it takes a while to start though.

Or the update button at the bottom.

Em.

I have been using AVG Free Version Anti Virus 7.5 with AVG Anti Spyware with out any problem for a number of years and never really noticed them running in the back ground. However AVG are saying that the version 7.5 with no longer be supported and no updates will be available after 25th.July 2008.

You will HAVE to upgrade to AVG Anti Virus/Spyware Free Version 8.0. I have tried this and it removes the 7.5 version as well as the Anti Spyware software. But I must be honest I do not like the new version, you can not turn off individual items/sections without it reporting it is in error state (with a pop up every couple of minutes), The search engine scanner and link scanner take for ages to finish scanning, resulting in having to wait for pages to load. It uses masses of CPU while scanning slowing the whole computer down to a snails pace, and was taking over 6 hours to do a scan each day. I HATE the pop ups that now appear everytime it scans a new page or link, to drove me crazy and there appeared no way of disabling them without again it going into error state.

In the end I removed AVG 8.0 and when back to the old version 7.5 while they try to sort out all the problems with 8.0.

Would strongly recommend you read some of the problems other people are having BEFORE you upgrade or use AVG version 8.0.

Anyone else had problems with AVG 8.0?

Link AVG Forum

Avira Anti Vir Personal is very good to, it's free and has a live virus guard too, so it picks things up straight away, rather than having to wait for a scan.

I've had no problems since I started using it.

Back