• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Away to Workington on a Friday night in February 1970 lost 5-0 with only 1790 fans in attendance, only good thing that happened was after the match Ernie Shepherd told me I could have a lift back on the players coach what a relief that was, we finally arrived back at Roots Hall about 6am on the Saturday morning. I went straight home to bed, sadly the players had to be in for training at 10:00am. such was the rather poor performance!!! Team: T.Roberts, Lindsey, Simpson, Beesley, Haydock, Kurila, Chisnall, Best, G.Moore, Garner, Clayton.

Away to Workington on a Friday night in February 1970 lost 5-0 with only 1790 fans in attendance, only good thing that happened was after the match Ernie Shepherd told me I could have a lift back on the players coach what a relief that was, we finally arrived back at Roots Hall about 6am on the Saturday morning. I went straight home to bed, sadly the players had to be in for training at 10:00am. such was the rather poor performance!!! Team: T.Roberts, Lindsey, Simpson, Beesley, Haydock, Kurila, Chisnall, Best, G.Moore, Garner, Clayton.

If you hadn't come home on the team coach how would you have made it home ?

newport away, lost 3-1,

but did oxford away this year and found the perfect cure to a hangover, luke prosser's diving header :)

Last edited:
Went to Grimsby - it might not be the end of the earth, but you can see it from there!!

Stayed at a premier travel inn, which seemed to be in between the docks, sewage works and a cement factor, the place stunk and the car was covered in cement powder.. Never again. (oh yeah we ballsed up promotion as well)

Carlisle on a few occasions. Think we lost everytime I went except 1-1 where Martin Carruthers rescued a point for us.

One long distance memorable one was Harltepool in a FA Cup replay on a Tues night. I took half day off school and we were 1-0 down with about 10 mins left but come back to win won 2-1 :smile:

If you hadn't come home on the team coach how would you have made it home ?
Ken, I am not sure possibly by train which is how I got to the game, in those days the away support was quite small especially at some of the long away midweek games, also not many people from that time had cars. We did hitch-hike sometimes and were lucky enough on a few times to grab a lift back. Ironically the match after Workington was over 2 weeks later against Colchester and Ernie Shepherd selected the same team again and we won 2-1 with goals by Billy Best & Gary Moore.

Carlisle lost 2-1 , plymuff can't remember result way too drunk and Newcastle opening day of the season lost 3-2 ,and got chased back to the station by some hard looking Geordie lads..:omg:

Drove up to Carlisle for the game the ball arrived by helicopter, don't remember much about the game to be honest! Flew up to Newcastle for the Sunderland game. Had a chat with Paul Brush in the security queue at the airport for the flight home!

Newcastle mid week lost 3-2 early 90's if memory served me right. Furthest i have driven is either to Grimsby a couple of weeks after passing my test with Andy Ward and another couple of supporters in my car lost 4-2 i think. Or a 7-0 league cup match at Derby a certain Mr Urry as a pasenger

Carlisle, three or four times. One memorable trip was when we met in The Bell on the Friday night to go by minibus. Somebody (Steve Waller?) had not booked or paid for the van and so we decided to go by train. We got on at Southend Vic with no tickets and got to Carlisle in the relatively early morning..still no tickets. As luck would have it, the Queen had the old royal train coming south from Balmoral and so as security was key , we were ushered out of Carlisle station in a hurry. Breakfast and then more booze. We inevitably lost the game but most managed to get back to Southend Vic without paying a penny in fares.

Carlisle, three or four times. One memorable trip was when we met in The Bell on the Friday night to go by minibus. Somebody (Steve Waller?) had not booked or paid for the van and so we decided to go by train. We got on at Southend Vic with no tickets and got to Carlisle in the relatively early morning..still no tickets. As luck would have it, the Queen had the old royal train coming south from Balmoral and so as security was key , we were ushered out of Carlisle station in a hurry. Breakfast and then more booze. We inevitably lost the game but most managed to get back to Southend Vic without paying a penny in fares.
Postnote to that Carlisle game. There were no refreshments available in the away end. A huge Carlisle fan covered in tattoo's had been hurling abuse and loved that we had no food or drink. He sarcastically asked me if he could get me a pie..I said "yes". So do you trust this man with your 50p, a man who minutes earlier had told me how he was going to kick the living "sh*e" out of me?? Of course. He went and bought a pie, teased me..and handed it over with correct change! Some years later, I was in Monterrey about to watch Gary Lineker score a hatrick against Poland to send us through to the next phase of the '86 World Cup (with HUGE England flag emblazoned with Southend United) when I heard "you owe me a pie..or at least a drink".!!! I bought him the drink! Well, he might have kicked the living sh*t out of me!!

Middlesbrough to Plymouth, a 750 mile round trip. I got the coach down on the Friday but it was February and the whole country had been blanketed in snow all week and the game only went ahead after a Saturday morning pitch inspection. We were 2-0 up with 5 minutes to go and drew 2-2 and it was raining heavily after the match and I got soaked to the skin walking back to my B&B.

Back