• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Bank Holiday Refwatch ......... Maidenhead (H)

Mick

Life President
We have yet to beat Maidenhead, although there has been little between the two teams in our previous matches (1-1, 1-2). Tomorrow would be a good time to put that right.

Yesterday’s referee had loads of experience at this level; tomorrow’s not so. In fact, it will be just his third match as a National League referee.

Man in charge is Wayne Cartmel from Luton. He grew up in the Lake District and started work as a farm hand before moving into teaching. He subsequently became the founder and CEO of the company providing the leading applicant tracking system to improve efficiency in the realms of school and trust recruitment. He’s won a number of awards.

So he’s doing okay in real work, how’s his refereeing going? Well … his first match was a rather less than auspicious start. Dorking against Chesterfield with much condemnation of his performance, especially from Paul Cook. He managed to send off the wrong player, giving a Chesterfield player a second yellow card for an incident he wasn’t involved in. He’d already dismissed, correctly, the visiting goalkeeper. So, 6 yellows and 2 reds, the second of which was rescinded on appeal. Things appear to have gone rather better in yesterday’s match between Yeovil and Dagenham with just the one yellow apiece.

This will be his first visit to Roots Hall officiating in any capacity, although I have seen him around in charge of various National League South matches.

Assistants are Grzegorz Kornasiewicz and Thomas Kelly, both from Oxford. Stuart Cheek, previously from Ilford but now from Stevenage stands by as Fourth Official.

Quality Mick, I notice once again. the lino's could travel together?
Is this "a norm" now, fuel costs, build up continuity between officials as they travel & work alongside each other

Quality Mick, I notice once again. the lino's could travel together?
Is this "a norm" now, fuel costs, build up continuity between officials as they travel & work alongside each other

Certainly, with another possible car share coming this weekend, it looks to be more than a co-incidence.

Unlikely downside is if they get delayed or involved in a traffic incident travelling together it's match off whereas if just one doesn't make it, they scratch around for a stand-in 4th Official and carry on.

I thought this ref was very good. Didnt notice him much which is always a good sign. Linos pretty good too on the whole. Huge difference from the week before. He seemed to have the respect ofthe players who seemed to give up arguing pretty quickly over any decisions.
There willalways be the odd strange one or one that we disagree with, but over 90 mins Id be happy to have this ref again

KM and co were incensed by the missed yanking back foul on Powell, it was a certain 2nd yellow. The 4th official could only apologise. Ref must have known he had missed something as he very soon after gave a dangerous position foul to Powell when it was a nothing challenge.
I don't like it when a big incident is missed, or that the 4th official can't tell the ref he "dropped a clanger"; and although I understand the attempt at levelling up by officials I think it best to play it straight and honest.

KM and co were incensed by the missed yanking back foul on Powell, it was a certain 2nd yellow. The 4th official could only apologise. Ref must have known he had missed something as he very soon after gave a dangerous position foul to Powell when it was a nothing challenge.
I don't like it when a big incident is missed, or that the 4th official can't tell the ref he "dropped a clanger"; and although I understand the attempt at levelling up by officials I think it best to play it straight and honest.
Totally agree . We see it in almost every game to a certain extent from Prem to our level. That was probably the 'odd strange one' I was referring to. But overall thought he had a good game.
Not sure Ive ever seen the 4th official properly take the ref to task after missing something like that even though both will be aware of it. They seem to go on more of a peace keeping mission with the managers instead. Very hard not to let it be in your mind as youre continuing to ref the game Id imagine.
I did think theyre no 4 was playing a fine line with some of his challenges and pulling after his yellow.

The 4th official is there to help, the same as the assistant referees.

If they spot something obvious that the ref has missed then they should alert them, the reality is that this very rarely happens with either role. They only seem to speak up to get one of the management team into trouble!

The 4th official is there to help, the same as the assistant referees.

If they spot something obvious that the ref has missed then they should alert them, the reality is that this very rarely happens with either role. They only seem to speak up to get one of the management team into trouble!

Unless it's changed, Fourth Officials have a quite specific remit when it comes to on-field intervention. It used to be limited to violent conduct.

Obviously with all officials miked up there's nothing to stop informal advice being sought or given which, I'm sure in the interests of teamwork happens from time to time.

Unless it's changed, Fourth Officials have a quite specific remit when it comes to on-field intervention. It used to be limited to violent conduct.

Obviously with all officials miked up there's nothing to stop informal advice being sought or given which, I'm sure in the interests of teamwork happens from time to time.

Fairy Nuff.

That seems a bit odd that if a match official sees an obvious error that they are not allowed to mention it formally, especially as they will take the brunt of the abuse for it!

I feel sorry for 4ths. Cop so much flack for decisions that aren't theirs and will have to justify them even if, occasionally, they also think the referee made an error!

Back