• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I, along with many others, gave Barker a lot of stick on here towards the end of last season as he was having shockers left, right and centre. So, I would like to take the time to congratulate him on his performances since returning to the team at left back.

Most at the moment are saying our best back four is Clohessy/Cresswell/Philips/Barker and I'm alomost certain most would not have included Barker at any position a month ago.

Well done son :thumbsup:

Yup have to agree, he has looked good at LB, made one outstanding challenge at Gillingham otherwise it would have a certain goal.

Great cross for Freddy's winner too !
Yes , he's looking much better than last season , and whilst Phillips is out , I much prefer him at left back , with Prosser inside.

I thought Barker on the whole looked pretty good, although there was one moment when he fell over, and also the goal was due to a complete ****-up down the left side. I don't think he's a long term solution (due to his age and the fact that his legs are going), however he's played better there than at CB last season (which wasn't difficult really).

Their goal was due to us not pushing out and no one picking people up in the middle.

As for his legs, is he any less mobile than Prosser ?

Barker at left back for me is our best option there. Better than Prosser and totally unconvinced with Straker for now.

Their goal was due to us not pushing out and no one picking people up in the middle.

As for his legs, is he any less mobile than Prosser ?

Barker at left back for me is our best option there. Better than Prosser and totally unconvinced with Straker for now.

The goal started from them being 3-v-2 on the left wing, with Timlin and Spicer (our two CM's) out wide trying to stop this, and our defence being too deep and leaving people unmarked (mainly from the CM position because our midfield was all out of position). Our left back has to be culpable for this due to the fact that goal came through multiple failures at the left-back position. He currently does look reasonably mobile (he definitely seems to have lost some weight) but his legs do seem to have gone because he isn't particular quick and he doesn't look comfortable when retreating, and also when going from a jump to a sprint he just falls over!

I think having both Barker and Prosser on the left side of our defence really works. Barker gets forward quite well IMO and when we've been caught on the break, Prosser has covered really well and Barker has obviously gone into the CB spot. Well done to PS for that an also CB and LP who have both recieved bad reviews recently.

The big disappointment of course is Straker, who we were all expecting to be excellent, where as in reality he has been total cack.

Gets forward surprisingly well, good cross as well. I like him in that position, think left back is sorted for the short term finally.

I need to see Straker more, only seen him on the wing where he looked okay.

He normally played left back for us when we were at Layer Road and always made a good job of it, he has never had much in the way of pace but he is an intelligent player who takes up good positions, has a decent shot when he gets the chance and crosses the ball very well.

Back