• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not really breaking news, we knew that already didnt we?

Nice for Payne to be given a chance, good to have Smith in squad as back up and to assist Bentley.

Cue 17 page thread about Barnard. Personally Id like to see him have a good pre-season and start next season fit and firing like Freddy did last season, hopefully with a bit more longevity. Personally if the contract wasn't agreed back in January I'm not sure I would have been fussed to see him leave though.

Not really breaking news, we knew that already didnt we?

Nice for Payne to be given a chance, good to have Smith in squad as back up and to assist Bentley.

Cue 17 page thread about Barnard. Personally Id like to see him have a good pre-season and start next season fit and firing like Freddy did last season, hopefully with a bit more longevity. Personally if the contract wasn't agreed back in January I'm not sure I would have been fussed to see him leave though.

I'm of the same opionion. Barney came to us on loan after being out injured for god knows how long so with a good pre-season behind him, I hope we see some of the old form he showed first time round. He was never as good as Eastwood but maybe that's a good thing

I agree that I think a pre season with Brown will do wonders for Barnard. He does have the ability and age is still on his side to be a big performer for us in this league. Happy with this . Add a quick silver forward as well, and with BBC, Barny and a raw Williams, I think that's a fair top 4 to start the campaign with !

We could do a lot worse for a number 2 keeper than Smith, very experienced and got to be good to have around our young lads Bentley and Teddy.

Barnard, I have my doubts over his fitness, as it's never been that great! But I hope I'm proved wrong.

We could do a lot worse for a number 2 keeper than Smith, very experienced and got to be good to have around our young lads Bentley and Teddy.

Barnard, I have my doubts over his fitness, as it's never been that great! But I hope I'm proved wrong.

I like Paul Smith, I thought he was a more than decent keeper at this level.....but I don't understand why we need to waste wage budget on a second senior keeper? Surely Bentley as first choice (it's the only way he will improve) and Ted (or other young pup) on the bench. If Bentley gets injured medium to long term or has a serious dip in form we use the loan market.

I like Paul Smith, I thought he was a more than decent keeper at this level.....but I don't understand why we need to waste wage budget on a second senior keeper? Surely Bentley as first choice (it's the only way he will improve) and Ted (or other young pup) on the bench. If Bentley gets injured medium to long term or has a serious dip in form we use the loan market.
I really doubt we are paying Smith much. Bentley learns a lot from having an experienced keeper around and if Bentley does get injured having a keeper that knows the defence is better than a loan keeper.

I agree that I think a pre season with Brown will do wonders for Barnard. He does have the ability and age is still on his side to be a big performer for us in this league. Happy with this . Add a quick silver forward as well, and with BBC, Barny and a raw Williams, I think that's a fair top 4 to start the campaign with !

We've signed that kid from Charlton someone has already mentioned plus Weston.

I too would question whether we need a senior keeper on the bench, but I understand why we wouldn't want Ted Smith there as he needs to play games.

I know Payne is the fans darling, but I don't think he will make it!

Its a shame but i think he is another one of the Kightly variety where i think a higher level surrounded by better players will be better for him.

In league 2 he will just keep getting battered. We will only know for sure if and when he is given game time, but he scores regularly for the stiffs so who knows.

I do think Ellis brown was highly rated at charlton and will be another JCR type player that charlton like to produce. I have very high hopes that he could be an exciting player and real threat going foward.

If we can score from the wings and have barry and barney up top we will be very successful next year, but as always it comes down to ifs and buts

seems to that Raheem Sterling is only small also, but he seems to cope okay,Payne just needs to spend some time in the gym off season ,build up his body and put some strength into his legs , he will be okay then
:smiles:

LOL there's no comparison between what Payne has achieved, and what Sterling has achieved - they're the same age.

It's true that you can cut it as a small player, but the technique and vision needs to be completely sound. I'm not at all convinced by Payne, but happy to give him a year. If you ask a player to bulk up then they might lose a little bit of quickness in their feet which could be an issue for the type of player they hope to become. Expecting a defender to become stronger is fine, but a midfielder looking to play between the lines or in the hole needs the pace as well as strength.

League 2 is ****, because youngsters are up against cloggers. But if Payne doesn't have an impact that's fine. And if he goes on to be another Kightly, that's also fine - as long as we have a sell on fee!

Back