• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Some experts are predicting that we are due to experience the worst winter for 60 years ("100 days of heavy snow" etc). Bearing in mind that the awful winter of 1963 decimated the Football League programme, with some teams not playing for fully two months, I really fear for our cash flow. Say we have to cancel three home games on the spin, then surely Ron will struggle to pay Peter or Paul....or the players or HMRC for that matter.

It will cause issues no doubt, but we have had similar fixture issues before and got through them.

Whilst there is a chance of below average temperatures and snow this winter, it is by no means nailed on. Long term forecasting is highly unreliable and no single method has any real gravitas - it's all based upon spotting historical trends essentially (much like short term forecasting - although the computer modelling is considerably more sophisticated). The so called experts quoted in the likes of the express and mail are some of the least reputable forecasters in the business so I wouldn't worry too much right now!

But that being said, yes we would almost certainly suffer if three or four home games on the bounce were postponed - I'd suggest that most teams in L1 and L2 would experience a squeeze too.

I'm sitting in the lounge, sun streaming through the windows, really looking forward to Saturday, then this....................couldn't it have waited until after a bad result??

they also said it was going to be a crap summer when in fact it was one of the best for years. Always ignore long term forecasts as impossible to predict more than a few days ahead with any certainty

Some experts are predicting that we are due to experience the worst winter for 60 years ("100 days of heavy snow" etc). Bearing in mind that the awful winter of 1963 decimated the Football League programme, with some teams not playing for fully two months, I really fear for our cash flow. Say we have to cancel three home games on the spin, then surely Ron will struggle to pay Peter or Paul....or the players or HMRC for that matter.

I think you must read the Daily Star! As mentioned elsewhere in the thread the Met Office have advised there is no more proability of that happening this year, against any other year.

Unless Michael Fish says it's true, I won't believe it!

More importantly than that. Make sure you remember never to eat yellow snow !!

I think you must read the Daily Star!

From what I remember of the Daily Star one does not 'read' it! I hear you comrades re exaggeration and hysteria, but I am still keeping a close eye on the moss and snails out the back :darkcloud:

when have we ever had a week of heavy snow never mind a 100 days?

1987 I think. I was working in Shoeburyness at the time and the only way to get there was to walk from Kent Elms Corner....I didn't. And the sea froze over as well.

1987 I think. I was working in Shoeburyness at the time and the only way to get there was to walk from Kent Elms Corner....I didn't. And the sea froze over as well.

The trains were out during that freeze so I, plus many others, waited outside the Plough on the London Road, in the hope of catching a bus to the Smoke. One by one people headed off home and when a guy whooshed past us on a pair of skis the rest of us gave up too!

Look on the Smiffy's weather thread in the pub. The Met Office have poo-poo'd this scaremongering hysteria about the severity of the winter. No doubt we'll get some snow and maybe a few games will get cancelled, but it'll be no different from any other year.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...eather-Watch&p=1580296&viewfull=1#post1580296

Fortunately I am able to reassure everyone that I am 100% sure that NONE OF OUR GAMES WILL BE CANCELLED.If the weather gets very bad ,there could be a few postponements,abandonments even.

Fortunately I am able to reassure everyone that I am 100% sure that NONE OF OUR GAMES WILL BE CANCELLED.If the weather gets very bad ,there could be a few postponements,abandonments even.

Mr Pedant is in the house! :winking:

See what happens when you post stuff like this?? Yesterday, pre post, loads of sun generally nice day. Post this and then BOSH, hail stones, rain, high winds, arrrrgh!!

Back