• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the 80s films - FINAL- Ghostbusters v Back to the Future

Ghostbusters v Back to the Future

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unless they drew eachother this was always going to be the final. It's got to be Back To The Future though. It's the greatest film of all time, IMO, and the only film that I can watch time after time after time and still enjoy it every bit as much as I did the first time I saw it almost 25 years ago.

Amazingly, Back to the Future is still cool. Smart script and great direction from Robert Zemeckis, winning performances from Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd, great Alan Silvestri score, fab song by Huey Lewis and the News, superb sequels..... it has to win doesn't it? But then Ghostbusters beat the Blues Brothers and nothing is safe any more.

BTTF still works today because it was made at the perfect time. Had it been a couple of years earlier I think the script would have been very different and had it been made a few years later it would have been overloaded with special effects shots, probably at the expense of the story (there's only 13 special effects shots in the entire film as opposed to literally thousands in most Blockbusters today). The script initially had the time-machine built into a fridge which would need a nuclear detonation to send it back and forward through time - it was changed to the iconic Delorean and the lightning strike at the Clock Tower because there was no way to realise their original dream with 1984/85 technology.

Agree with what's been said, the top two films rightfully in their place in the final. I'm edging slightly towards one but will hold on a little before voting.

Mcfly versus Venkman is no contest.

But let's just quote one of the most well-known film critics, Roger Ebert (who rated Ghostbusters 3.5 out of 4): "This movie is an exception to the general rule that big special effects can wreck a comedy ... Rarely has a movie this expensive provided so many quotable lines"

BTTF just edges it for me, especially as it has two VERY clever sequals which I enjoy as much as the first!

Ghostbusters 2 is immense! The finale with the Statue of Liberty and crowds of people singing along...

I'm not disagreeing but BTTF2 and 3 are VERY clever how they interweave and show features of the town etc. Also very varied with look to the future and the past.

I'd need a miracle to beat BTTF here, damn fine film that it is. But whilst I'm in the final, I may as well throw in a few clips and quotes:

Dr. Peter Venkman: We've been going about this all wrong. This Mr. Stay Puft's okay! He's a sailor, he's in New York; we get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble!

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Dana Barrett: That's the bedroom, but nothing ever happened in there.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What a crime.

[video=youtube;cyRqR56aCKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRqR56aCKc[/video]

Looks like I need to add some quotes to back up my film...

Mr. Strickland: You got a real attitude problem, McFly. You're a slacker. You remind me of your father when he went here. He was a slacker, too.
Marty: Can I go now, Mr. Strickland?
Mr. Strickland: I noticed your band is on the roster for the dance auditions after school today. Why even bother, McFly? You don't have a chance. You're too much like your old man. No McFly ever amounted to anything in the history of Hill Valley!
Marty: Yeah, well, history is gonna change.

Marty: Wait a minute. Wait a minute Doc, uh, are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?
Doc Brown: The way I see it, if you're going to build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

[after crashing into Old Man Peabody's barn]
Marty: Excuse me? Sorry about your barn.
[Old Man Peabody starts shooting at Marty]
Sherman Peabody: It's already mutated into human form, shoot it!
Old Man Peabody: [shoots again] Take that, you mutated son of a bitch!

George: I don't know what I should say.
Marty: Well say anything, George. Say the first thing that comes to your mind.
George: Nothing's coming to my mind.
Marty: Jesus, George. It's a wonder I was ever born.

Also Ghostbusters has never been quoted in a State of the Union address....

President Ronald Reagan referred to the movie in his 1986 State of the Union Address when he said, "Never has there been a more exciting time to be alive, a time of rousing wonder and heroic achievement. As they said in the film Back to the Future, 'Where we're going, we don't need roads.'" When he first saw the joke about him being president, he made the projectionist of the theater stop the reel, roll it back, and run it again

And besides all of that, it's a cracking film, which meets of all of Napsters criteria to a T

Doc-Brown.jpg

"Do you realise what this means?

It means that this damned thing doesn't work at all!"

Both are great films but for quotes (and how Ghostbusters beat Blue Brothers for quotes but hey ho) Ghostbusters does have a lot funnier and more memorable. I think BTTF is more scene and plot driven.

Back