• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the 80s films - Terminator v Risky Business

Terminator v Risky Business

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come on, this film had everything for an 80s film, A great cast, including a hot hooker in Rebecca de Mornay, a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, and some iconic scenes. Who can forget an early scene where he dances around the living room in his underwear and pink dress shirt to the tune of "Old Time Rock and Roll", and the journey home sex scene on the Chicago train.

Don't think I've ever seen Risky Business? Terminator is an all time classic and its good to see a bit of sci fi on here.

To be fair i quite like risky business and its nice to cruise in a bit of comedy rather than his serious roles, but why are we even having this comparison.

Terminator is for me one of if not the best sci-fi film of the 80's. Only maybe blade runner and predator even come close.

It has everything .

Special effects which were so far advanced at the time that even now they are only just showing signs of age . Thats 26 years later.

An awsome cast and crew with the lead going to relative unknown Arnold Schwarzeneger who had just won mr universe.

Its set with plenty of 80's nostalgia including punks cheesy walkmans and music and the great scene in tech noir and of course spawned the now immortal line " I'll be back " for the first time.

Centred around an cyborg sent from a future when man has been nearly wiped out by machines that have been built by a defence system gone rogue that was supposed to protect man kind . It follows the story of sarah connor an every day women whos unborn or indeed un-concieved son will be the only thing that stands in the way of skynets (defence system) master plan to eradicate man kind.

The cyborg has been sent back to kill sarah connor and mankinds hopes with it. In the future John connor (sarahs son) fearful that the cyborg will succeed and he will not come into being sends a protector , a human to try and stop this machine before it finds sarah.

This is the ultimate david versus goliath and at times the sheer size of arnie is fearful enough not too mention that he is practically indestructable.

Its no surprise that this is an iconic film of that era and has spawned another 3 follow on films of equal class although im not sure any match the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qB5AlKu-zQ&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTx9WMsxLLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4kfqmv2PoQ

Last edited:
Terminator is a cracking film. I can't agree that the effects are only just looking dated now, though. It's looked very dated for a very long time, far more so than the likes of Predator, Aliens, Blade Runner and other similar films from a similar time and it really effects it's watchability now, for me.

Which one is Risky Business? I'm not a fan of the sci fi genre at all so despite the inevitability of the result here I'd just like to be sure what I'm voting for!

Terminator is a cracking film. I can't agree that the effects are only just looking dated now, though. It's looked very dated for a very long time, far more so than the likes of Predator, Aliens, Blade Runner and other similar films from a similar time and it really effects it's watchability now, for me.

Have to dissagree there somewhat. The only scene for me that shows its age is when the terminator goes back to his apartment to gauge an eye out. That looks very robotic and puppet like. Other than that it holds up well. At the end of the day the film is 26 years old and technology has come a very long way, but this was incredibly advanced at the time.

What makes the film for me is the story is excellent and with AI a very clear possibilty its one the could yet turn out to be true!

Back