• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the 90s films R1 Usual Suspects v Shawshank Redemption

Usual Suspects v Shawshank Redemption

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very few films have a twist as superb as The Usual Suspects. It is quite frankly, brilliant.

I can't really do The Shawshank Redemption enough justice... Superb story, superbly acted and thoroughly deserving of its place amongst some of the finest pieces of cinema. So, instead, here's a picture of Morgan Freeman eating candyfloss.

morgan_freeman.jpg

I can't really do The Shawshank Redemption enough justice... Superb story, superbly acted and thoroughly deserving of its place amongst some of the finest pieces of cinema. So, instead, here's a picture of Morgan Freeman eating candyfloss.

morgan_freeman.jpg

I thought it was simplistic sentimental tat.

Who is Keyser Söze?

The Usual Suspects was shot in 1995, in just over 1 month this noir thriller had a budget of less than $6m! An amazingly original screenplay with labyrinthine intrigue. Those that have seen it will never forget the HUGE twist in the final scene...without doubt a classic of a film, fully deserving of it's place in the Shrimperzone top 32 films of the 1990s.

Last edited:
"Give *me* the keys, you ****ing **********"

Total genius, it really should cruise to victory in this battle as it was the best film of the '90s by a country mile. I do love Shawshank though.

I will have to vote for The Usual Suspects in this one.

Shawshank has become the default answer to most people being asked what their favourate film is. It is for me unquestionably a great film, but its place as the ubiquitous Best Film Ever does need some scrutiny, and for me could be down to the backlash from it not being a massive hit upon release but then growing a groundswell of support as some people wanted an alternative choice as Best Film Ever in an effort to appear a bit different to the usual Star Wars and Indiana Jones's etc.

The Usual Suspects is a great great film. I didn't see the plot twist, and didn't know that I was meant to be looking out for a plot twist. Subsequent viewings to look for tell tale signs made it still a great watch even knowing the twist, and then upon viewings after that just watching the film for enjoyment's sake knowing what was happening it still stands up to scutiny.

This is a great contest and worthy of a final. I do love the Shawshank redemption but suspect it now receiveds votes in this by default of repuation rather than consideration of its merits, and for me, The Usual Suspects just has slightly more to it and so gets my vote.

Argh - what a first round tie! There is no justice that, for instance, Dumb & Dumber goes through to round 2, while one of these has to perish.

Ho hum. I'll mull on it. They're both excellent films.

Shawshank has become the default answer to most people being asked what their favourate film is. It is for me unquestionably a great film, but its place as the ubiquitous Best Film Ever does need some scrutiny, and for me could be down to the backlash from it not being a massive hit upon release but then growing a groundswell of support as some people wanted an alternative choice as Best Film Ever in an effort to appear a bit different to the usual Star Wars and Indiana Jones's etc.

The Usual Suspects is a great great film. I didn't see the plot twist, and didn't know that I was meant to be looking out for a plot twist. Subsequent viewings to look for tell tale signs made it still a great watch even knowing the twist, and then upon viewings after that just watching the film for enjoyment's sake knowing what was happening it still stands up to scutiny.

This is a great contest and worthy of a final. I do love the Shawshank redemption but suspect it now receiveds votes in this by default of repuation rather than consideration of its merits, and for me, The Usual Suspects just has slightly more to it and so gets my vote.

Very true and is exactly the reason why i also went for The Usual Suspects. As you say Shawshank appears to be a default without really thinking about it.

I didn't see the plot twist, and didn't know that I was meant to be looking out for a plot twist. Subsequent viewings to look for tell tale signs made it still a great watch even knowing the twist, and then upon viewings after that just watching the film for enjoyment's sake knowing what was happening it still stands up to scutiny.
I remember seeing an interview with Gabriel Byrne where he said that all of the main actors were arguing over which one of them was Keyser - they all had their own theories about the twist!! I still think the drawing looks as much like Kobayashi as it does Verbal... :unsure:

Or maybe it's because it came out at the same time as Forrest Gump? It was nominated for about 8 Oscars, but lost out.

Very true and is exactly the reason why i also went for The Usual Suspects. As you say Shawshank appears to be a default without really thinking about it.

Really? So the fact that I simply prefer The Shawshank redemption means I haven't thought about it? Don't make generalisations!

Personally I think this should be the final...

I will be sitting down tonight and watching Usual Suspects!
Well done Shawshank!

Who is Keyser Söze?

The Usual Suspects was shot in 1995, in just over 1 month this noir thriller had a budget of less than $6m! An amazingly original screenplay with labyrinthine intrigue. Those that have seen it will never forget the HUGE twist in the final scene...without doubt a classic of a film, fully deserving of it's place in the Shrimperzone top 32 films of the 1990s.

I think the answer lies in the fact that Söze is actually his middle name. His surname is Allofus.

Really? So the fact that I simply prefer The Shawshank redemption means I haven't thought about it? Don't make generalisations!

Personally I think this should be the final...

That is right. I think you saw The Shawshank Redemption and voted it for it without considering the other film.

Back