• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the SUFC Legends - Group F

Who is the greatest SUFC Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Please vote for who you think is the greatest SUFC Legend. The winner is guaranteed a place in the next round while the runner up may win a place in the next round depending on how many votes they get.

Here is Group F:

Daryl Flahavan (Shrimper)
Alan Moody (Moridin)
Meryvn Cawston (ldnfatso)
Simon Royce (Southampton Shrimper)

Moody has it - again, someone else I interviewed. A cracking interviewee, indeed, I did the interview during work hours, and my boss came over when I was on the phone to him. Alan then said I should have told my boss who he was, (as if that would have helped).

How on Earth is Daryl getting so many votes?! I presume those voting have never seen the others. I will admit that Ive never seen Merv Cawston (though I have seen his daughter...) but how anyone who had seen Royce and Flavs play could vote for Flahavan is beyond me.

Royce is superior in pretty much every aspect (except maybe kicking) and that he didnt play many many games in the top flight is largely down to showing us too much loyalty and staying a season or two longer than he should.

How on Earth is Daryl getting so many votes?! I presume those voting have never seen the others. I will admit that Ive never seen Merv Cawston (though I have seen his daughter...) but how anyone who had seen Royce and Flavs play could vote for Flahavan is beyond me.

Royce is superior in pretty much every aspect (except maybe kicking) and that he didnt play many many games in the top flight is largely down to showing us too much loyalty and staying a season or two longer than he should.

All my votes are having to go to players I have seen so counting out Moody and Cawston, I have to agree with you that Royce was a superior goalkeeper and a worthy replacement when Sammy left.

Close one, I imagine all of the younger fans (like myself) have voted Darryl. I saw Royce when I first started going to Southend matches but don't remember much about him. I grew up with Darryl.

Voted Darryl. Obviously would but i have seen Royce play but that poor performance he had against us when at QPR sticks in my mind. Come on Darryl.

Agree with you there, especially as our current keeper is superior to him, but that's another debate :)

I wouldn't begrudge Daryll going through, with the promotions, LDV runs and Manchester United games, but he's certainly not a superior keeper to Royce.

Moody was always an icon to me when learning about our history, 11 years as a player and 504 appearences will see to that.

He captained the side to our 1st league championship, I believe the club were victorious in 30 games that season with him at the back too.

Moody for me.

2nd place is an intriguing clash between 2 of our greatest ever keepers. Roycie was probably the best (as evidenced by his top flight career), but Cawston had a terrific record.

Obviously Flahavan will win as he'll get the votes of the kids who never saw the others play.

Moody for me.

2nd place is an intriguing clash between 2 of our greatest ever keepers. Roycie was probably the best (as evidenced by his top flight career), but Cawston had a terrific record.

Obviously Flahavan will win as he'll get the votes of the kids who never saw the others play.

:D You can't blame people for voting for players that they have seen, but I would hope they would take cognisance of the club's past, Moody & Cawston where members of a team that won the club its first silverware. I'm inclined to be in the ABF camp.

Moody for me.

I haven't seen any of the others play, but I aint voting for Darryl.

Hope that makes you feel better YB.

As a goalie at school it was Merv the Swerve that i looked up to. For us to win the Title in my first full year of going to see the blues was a dream and Merv was the catalyst to such a tight unit at the back.

I don't deny that Roycie and Flavs were good keepers but Roycie couldn't kick for toffees and Flavs was always suspect on high balls in the box. Both were great shot stoppers though and we have been very fortunate to have them.

Unfortunately this leaves Alan Moody who i would have voted for in any other poll of people. Awesome Centre Half and penalty taker and also an outstanding servant to the club.

Blimey! Would like to know the average age of the Flahavan voters! Given there were possibly at least two superior or equal keepers than him during his time with the club, I'm most surprised he is edging out someone that was perhaps the best keeper in the Championship (equivalent) and went on to play in the Premier division in Royce.

Vote Darryl people. Take it the best second votes goes through? Out of all the pools that is.

Back