• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Bbc essex live commentary

Good news - doubt it's the petition though more probably due to some financial agreement.

does anybody know if this applies to listening to the game via the internet on BBC Essex?

Cheers
I would image not. The internet rights are held by FL/FLPTV & the club, so the BBC can't broadcast direct on t'internet, despite it being their commentators that are supplying that feed. They just provide the commentary to FLPTV etc for the web thingy under an agreement.

That's the way it used to be & I can't see why it would have changed.

Last edited:
Yes. Finally, i can listen to the away game. I'm a happy man, now just get one or two players and we're set.

It does seem though that Gerald Main has finally changed his tune and conceded that sport should be a part of his service.

I have always said that there is no reason for him not to fall into line with every other BBC Local radio station and give full live commentary for every game, especially as he has enough frequencies to split the coverage. And that is exactly what he is doing, as the Colchester United website shows, that every Southend game will be on 95.3FM and every Colchester game on 103.5FM.

As for the internet, Hooly is right, you will not be able to hear the commentary on the BBC Essex website, you will have to subscribe to Blues Player to access that.

But there are some local BBC websites who do carry commentary of league games though. Not 100% sure but I'm sure Leicestershire carry the Leicester City games and Lancashire sometimes have Preston/Oldham/Blackpool games on.

Heart Ipswich (ex SGR) also have live updates of Ipswich games.

But there are some local BBC websites who do carry commentary of league games though. Not 100% sure but I'm sure Leicestershire carry the Leicester City games and Lancashire sometimes have Preston/Oldham/Blackpool games on.

I wasn't aware of this being the case. I'm sure it's a national thing - all the league clubs signed up with the FLP websites have a deal where only the club websites can run the commentary online for a fee, and they're not available for free. The BBC Leicester and BBC Lancashire websites appear to confirm this.

The only exception appears to be for the FA Cup, as that is not a Football League competition the FLPTV websites don't have the rights, so the commentaries are then available free to air on the BBC Local Radio websites.

Heart Ipswich (ex SGR) also have live updates of Ipswich games.

Not any more, though. Now that SGR has rebranded to Heart, it doesn't fit in with their station profile. Their target audience is women, and Saturday afternoons they are having networked programmes, nothing local, so no room for football, as they'd rather unleash Emma Bunton to the airwaves. So Heart Ipswich have dumped their commentary and it's been picked up by BBC Radio Suffolk.

Another BBC U Turn!

Sack the arrogant b***ard who didn't want commentary last season!

Don't be fooled for one second they've taken a blind bit of notice of anybody's petition. Bottom line is listening figures.

I for one hope that the coverage below Football League level doesn't suffer due to BBC Essex not looking beyond their own noses.

Wiggy Big Trap Shocker!

Sometimes, Madam, people are at work when there's a game and may not be able to get time off. Sometimes, one's partner is seriously ill. Football is NOT everything.

Wiggy Big Trap Shocker!

Sometimes, Madam, people are at work when there's a game and may not be able to get time off. Sometimes, one's partner is seriously ill. Football is NOT everything.

I thought 34 quid for a years Blues World was reasonable!

Tight arse s rejoice!

CONGRATULATIONS--- It takes a certain skill to find a negative in a story like this. I applaud your determination to find fault in everything you see. Please continue keeping up the good work for another season, although I'm sure you don't need any encouragement.

ps- blues world isn't a lot of good when you are not near a computer, where as it is easy to have a radio close to hand. apologies to everyone else for stating the obvious.

CONGRATULATIONS--- It takes a certain skill to find a negative in a story like this. I applaud your determination to find fault in everything you see. Please continue keeping up the good work for another season, although I'm sure you don't need any encouragement.

ps- blues world isn't a lot of good when you are not near a computer, where as it is easy to have a radio close to hand. apologies to everyone else for stating the obvious.

....but that's all you ever do, state the bleeding obvious!

Back