• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News BBC Essex

On the sports news this morning the newsreader stated that:
Southend United may yet be allowed to sign players.

I didn't hear the rest of the article, as I had just turned on the radio.

Did anybody else hear this? No news on the OS or the other news channels.

Didn't hear it.

I wouldn't be suprised (as I have mentioned a few times) If we were given special dispensation by the PFA/FL to sign enough players to fulfill our matches.

In other words given temporary release of the embargo to sign a few players, before it is activated again.

Not ideal but it's a start. It will make us a target of many chairman/managers and fans of other clubs, who take offence to the "bending of rules" as well!

When Bournemouth were given special dispensation last season was it to sign permenent players or loanees? I'm just wondering whether we'd be able to sign Gilbert & Corr even if we are allowed to bring bodies in.

Didn't hear it.

I wouldn't be suprised (as I have mentioned a few times) If we were given special dispensation by the PFA/FL to sign enough players to fulfill our matches.

In other words given temporary release of the embargo to sign a few players, before it is activated again.

Not ideal but it's a start. It will make us a target of many chairman/managers and fans of other clubs, who take offence to the "bending of rules" as well!

Surely that could only happen IF the current/old players wages are up to date...Would they allow others to join us who would be in the same position?

Yes i heard it this morning, basically what they were saying is that southend may be able to sign a number of players (as per bournmouth where they showed that they had a number of steps in place to meet their outstanding debts).

Yes i heard it this morning, basically what they were saying is that southend may be able to sign a number of players (as per bournmouth where they showed that they had a number of steps in place to meet their outstanding debts).

That is obviously what Sturrock has been told, and when the embargo is lifted on the 2nd of August we can sign as many players as we like.

ANyone have any idea how many we will be allowed?

wont we know that come 2nd August anyway?

On the sports news this morning the newsreader stated that:
Southend United may yet be allowed to sign players.

I didn't hear the rest of the article, as I had just turned on the radio.

Did anybody else hear this? No news on the OS or the other news channels.

I was doing the school run and heard it. It was extremely brief.
They said they were allowed to register players, prior to the embargo being lifted.

So more or less in the same position untill the embargo is lifted.
It's gonna be a brilliant day when that happens. Will there be a party?

What i dont understand is that if the money is there why has it not been paid to allow sturrock to get on with the job. I feel sorry for u lot i really do as you keep getting put through the ringer with the off field issues.

Portsmouth are also operating under an embargo. The Pompey administrator has stated that league rules allow for a maximum of 20 players to be registered for teams operating under an embargo. Teams are allowed to recruit free transfers and loanees and re-sign players when contracts expire providing the squad number of registered players does not exceed 20. I am unsure if the rules governing our embargo are the same as Portsmouth's.
Portsmouth have a problem with David James His contract has expired and they are unable to re-register him as they currently have 28 players, which only includes 1 goal-keeper. They have requested special dispensation from the league to sign an additional goal-keeper.

Portsmouth are also operating under an embargo. The Pompey administrator has stated that league rules allow for a maximum of 20 players to be registered for teams operating under an embargo. Teams are allowed to recruit free transfers and loanees and re-sign players when contracts expire providing the squad number of registered players does not exceed 20. I am unsure if the rules governing our embargo are the same as Portsmouth's.
Portsmouth have a problem with David James His contract has expired and they are unable to re-register him as they currently have 28 players, which only includes 1 goal-keeper. They have requested special dispensation from the league to sign an additional goal-keeper.

Thanks.

Pompey were relegated IIRC, which means they'll also be governed by the Football League. The rules should therefore be the same.

Yes, if you're talking about the day Martin, King, Jennings & Scriven are run out of South East Essex ;)

Again, I'm absolutely bemused at the villification of Scriven...

He has a job to do, he does his job. He might not like the current trend of material he's allowed to release through official avenues, but it's his job nonetheless and one I dare say has been made increasingly difficult this Summer.

Anyway, back on topic, Bournemouth were, IIRC, allowed to sign players in order to field a team, but all transactions had to be verified under scrutiny from the FL and PFA and I have feeling it was only in positions they were short in. Charlie Austin was training with Bournemouth for months before Swindon came in for him, and the only reason he didn't sign for the Cherries on a permanent basis is because the FL didn't allow them to.

Thanks.

Pompey were relegated IIRC, which means they'll also be governed by the Football League. The rules should therefore be the same.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Yet when we were under the embargo last season we had to un-register players to register new ones we had a lot fewer than 20 players.

So we maybe able to get in freebees and loanees, up to a total squad size of 20.

Same as any other season then, if not better!

There is a bit on the BBC website about it:

The Blues are currently under a transfer embargo but the Professional Footballers Association has told BBC Essex that if the club can produce evidence to the Football League that they are dealing with their financial problems, they could be given special dispensation to register players.

Link: BBC

Back