• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Ben Coker on facing Southend United and how he witnessed start of club's struggles

Terrific player who always gave his all and it genuinely hurt him to see the club go to hell in a handcart during his injury. I know some people got a bit precious about him leaving when he did but as he says in the article, he saw the iceberg and left for the good of his career. Can't ever blame people for that.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing. I’m not sure I liked the way things were left from Ben’s perspective but I also can’t imagine things were dealt with well by us as a club, see Ron Martin. But I don’t think we really saw us being in the National League in 3/4 years time and I don’t think Ben would’ve been happy playing in the National League in that timescale either 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Can somebody please paste in article in full.

SOUTHEND United hero Ben Coker faces the Shrimpers on Saturday not completely surprised by their struggles in recent seasons.
Blues are in the National League for the second campaign running having previously suffered back to back relegations.
But Coker – who is now with Solihull Moors - could see the club were already on the slide when he chose to leave at the end of the 2018/19 season.
“I could see it when I left and it was one of the reasons why I did go,” said Coker.
“I didn’t see any progression and it was sad to see.

“They were getting rid of good players and I felt everyone deserved better than the way it was being run.
“It was a sad way to end it but it is what football is.
“Times change and I hope Southend can do well again but I could see this coming if I’m honest about it now.”
Coker made 208 appearances during his six years with the Shrimpers and helped the club win promotion via the League Two play-offs back in 2015.

But, following spells with Lincoln City and Stevenage, Coker joined Solihull – last season’s beaten play-off finalists - in the summer.
And the left-back is targeting another promotion this season.
“It’s been really good and I’ve enjoyed it so far,” said Coker.
“We’re all settled up here now and it’s a really good club.
“It has really impressed me and everyone wants to get promoted this year.
“There’s been no hangover from last season and it was a good start on Saturday but we’ve got to build on that now.”
Coker was on target in Solihull’s 4-1 win at Aldershot Town on the opening day of the campaign.
And the defender is now looking forward to his home debut against Blues on Saturday.
“When I signed straight away I thought I can’t wait to play Southend and get back to Roots Hall,” said Coker.
“I never really got the chance to say goodbye to the fans and I spent a lot of time there.
“I’m looking forward to going back but Saturday will be good too.

I would say Ben Coker was a Southend United associate.

In much the same way that Brendon Filone was a Soprano Family associate

Back