• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ben Reeves joins Southend United on loan from Southampton

Maybe a recommendation from Spillane from his brief loan spell with D&R?

Yes, good point. Sounds like he is a left midfielder ...... and adds useful cover to our midfield options given the number of games we have still to play (18 league games and 2 (or 3?) LDV games).

Thought our midfield against Chesterfield was being out played - they were picking up all the loose balls and knock-downs and we were giving the ball away too easily - so this signing plus the return on Laird could really add to the options.

On the negative side, it suggests that Tam is not coming back ...... and we already have a left midfielder/defender on the bench in the shape of Straker (who we payed a fee for). And it must be a slight set back for Woodyard.

Still, onwards and upwards ........... come on you Thames Estuary Ranging Gallaticos ............

That's your opinion, I have mine

As he isnt under 21 your opinion appears to be wrong.

Where in the rules does it say you can sign an under 21 under embargo ? (Ignoring the fact he isnt under 21)

The club tried to use Assombalonga as proof we werent under embargo and he is under 21. The fact its was a loan extension was the actual reason we signed him and nothing to do with age and doesnt make sense the club would try to use it as proof if under 21s could sign.

How does his age come into it? An embargo will stop the registration of a new player, the fact we have registered a new player shows we aren't under one.

That's your opinion, I have mine

I'm not sure opinion comes into this. We're ultimately talking about whether or not an embargo will stop such a registration. That's a point of fact, just a lack of certainty around the answer?

Yes, good point. Sounds like he is a left midfielder ...... and adds useful cover to our midfield options given the number of games we have still to play (18 league games and 2 (or 3?) LDV games).

Thought our midfield against Chesterfield was being out played - they were picking up all the loose balls and knock-downs and we were giving the ball away too easily - so this signing plus the return on Laird could really add to the options.

On the negative side, it suggests that Tam is not coming back ...... and we already have a left midfielder/defender on the bench in the shape of Straker (who we payed a fee for). And it must be a slight set back for Woodyard.

Still, onwards and upwards ........... come on you Thames Estuary Ranging Gallaticos ............

I think this article (final sentence) finally puts an end to any hope some of us may have had about him returning

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/10198127.Jackett_expecting_quiet_deadline_day_at_Millwall/

Quite excited about what Reeves and Lavery will bring to the squad.......if they can have anywhere near the same effect of Britt, I shalln't be too disappointed. :smile:

I'm not sure opinion comes into this. We're ultimately talking about whether or not an embargo will stop such a registration. That's a point of fact, just a lack of certainty around the answer?

When it comes to facts the basic fact, direct from the football league when I asked them this morning if you can sign U21 players was :

Any club under a registration embargo is prevented from making any player registrations unless they are unable to field a team/name a squad (e.g. club operating under administration). Any such matter would be at the discretion of the League executive.

In reference to loans, only loan extensions are permitted under embargo, obviously providing the registration is continuous.

So unless you get special permission from the league you cant even sign U21's, unless you cant field a team.

So thats that put to bed then...

I think Scotland have a certain type of embargo which restricts clubs to signing U21s. Hearts and Rangers are under such embargos at the minute.

There's nothing of the like in England that I've ever heard of. You're either under an embargo or you're not.

We have done very good business this transfer window including hanging on to our top scorer - and we are talking about transfer embargo's.
Agreed. Our squad (when all are fully fit) looks like the following:

Smith
Clohessy Phillips Cresswell Barker
Hurst Spillane Laird Timlin/Reeves
Tomlin Assombalonga

subs/reserves: Bentley, Prosser, Straker, Timlin/Reeves, Leonard, Woodyard, Corr, Eastwood, Harris, Njie, Benyon.

That's certainly not a bad team. Would be very disappointed if we weren't in the playoffs with that. Of course we all hope for the top 3, but the playoffs is quite a reasonable shout.

No point including Njie, he isnt going to feature.

Other than that team looks pretty good, still not seen Spillane so cant judge the midfield yet, but far happier than I was 2 weeks ago.

Back