• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some v.good observations there mate.
Mohsni’s heading definitely-Otto must be joking to mention Barrett-but up front,Garner with his ability to outjump goalies at full stretch and going back:Jim Fryatt who controlled his headers to perfection but otherwise wasn’t much good.
”Dribbling”suggests trickery rather than speed and I’ve never seen anyone trickier than Johnny McKinven.

Excellent to have some nominations from before my time and add some colour to heroes of yesteryear.

Was Johnny McKinven the one who had his leg broken by Graham Taylor? I think Harry would be jumping up and down and cursing Turnip at this point.

Excellent to have some nominations from before my time and add some colour to heroes of yesteryear.

Was Johnny McKinven the one who had his leg broken by Graham Taylor? I think Harry would be jumping up and down and cursing Turnip at this point.

He was and he would.

Best engine? Peter Butler for certain. Current squad, I'd say Yearwood. The youngsters coming through are all very professional and none have fitness issues.

Barrett wouldn't (legally) win a single header against Mohsni, at least until Bilel got sent off for picking a fight because Barrett was hugging him.

Best engine - Gareth Risbridger. It might have only been 60 seconds but he never stopped running at full pelt:Worthy:
An honourable mention here for Scott Forbes who seemed to bounce all game.

Best dribbler - depends on what you mean by dribbling. Paul Byrne was able to tie defenders up in knots (anyone got a link to that video of his goal v Birmingham?), despite usually being too hungover to run, whilst Stan was the best at running with the ball at speed. Otto combined the two, so is a fair enough shout. Francis Laurent might be worth a mention here as well.

Best passer - Mike Marsh. I'd be willing to listen to those proposing Ronnie Whelan here.

All good shouts.

The heading one is funny, Mohsni certainly has a height advantage and whilst I see your point I don't think Bilel was as effective (note I'm talking prime Barrett not twilight Barrett)

Forbes again a good shout but I don't think anyone I've seen had Atkinson's work rate, he was basically playing 2 positions in the system PB used.

I'd happily call Collymore and Otto a draw, loved Laurent he did tie himself up in knots sometimes though.

Marsh and Whelan great shouts, I'd reconsider that one

Some v.good observations there mate.
Mohsni’s heading definitely-Otto must be joking to mention Barrett-but up front,Garner with his ability to outjump goalies at full stretch and going back:Jim Fryatt who controlled his headers to perfection but otherwise wasn’t much good.
”Dribbling”suggests trickery rather than speed and I’ve never seen anyone trickier than Johnny McKinven.

Really??? Have we forgotten that season he got in double figures? Sure most of those goals were with his head. I'm sticking with AB

best engine : Ron Poutney ( Or Ron Ron, Ron Ron Ron, Ron Ron Ron Ron POUTNEY !!! - to give him his full name)

best left foot : Alan Rogers

best at step overs without getting anywhere : JCR

best at pulling other players birds : Richie Foran

best at covering loads of ground yet still managing to get grief for looking really lazy : Anthony Wordsworth

best entrance to pitch pre match : Shane Westley ( he used to amble on and drop kick a ball as high and far into the opposite corner as he could ! ) bizarre .

best at being short : Russell Williamson

best at being tall : Zoltan Liptack ( + there was that bloke on loan from Ipswich with 15 consenants and no vowells)

best at being a massive poser : Phil Gridlet

hardest : Dave Martin , closely followed by his then team mate Paul Clark

biggest ponce : Drewe Broughton

All good shouts.

The heading one is funny, Mohsni certainly has a height advantage and whilst I see your point I don't think Bilel was as effective (note I'm talking prime Barrett not twilight Barrett)

Forbes again a good shout but I don't think anyone I've seen had Atkinson's work rate, he was basically playing 2 positions in the system PB used.

I'd happily call Collymore and Otto a draw, loved Laurent he did tie himself up in knots sometimes though.

Marsh and Whelan great shouts, I'd reconsider that one

There are so many different elements that go into heading: positioning yourself, your height advantage, your jump, the power of your headers (I seem to recall in my youth Paul Clark regularly heading the ball 50 yards...), the placement of the header....

Barrett was excellent at the attacking positioning and placement of headers, which is why he scored so many goals in League Two. For a free header from a corner or free kick he'd be right up there with who I'd want at the end of it but that Mohsni combination of height and spring.... wow. There are few players I can think of who could match him in the air - maybe Duncan Ferguson, but that's going back 25 years. That combination of size and athleticism (and that aggression!) is off the charts.

ps Mohsni's best season 13 goals from 23+8 league appearances; Barrett's best season 11 goals from 45 league appearances.

There are so many different elements that go into heading: positioning yourself, your height advantage, your jump, the power of your headers (I seem to recall in my youth Paul Clark regularly heading the ball 50 yards...), the placement of the header....

Barrett was excellent at the attacking positioning and placement of headers, which is why he scored so many goals in League Two. For a free header from a corner or free kick he'd be right up there with who I'd want at the end of it but that Mohsni combination of height and spring.... wow. There are few players I can think of who could match him in the air - maybe Duncan Ferguson, but that's going back 25 years. That combination of size and athleticism (and that aggression!) is off the charts.

ps Mohsni's best season 13 goals from 23+8 league appearances; Barrett's best season 11 goals from 45 league appearances.
If my memory serves me correctly, most of Mohsni's goals were with his feet and most of Barrett's goals were with his head, I'd guess at least 8 of them. Does anyone have an official source to back that up?

"ps Mohsni's best season 13 goals from 23+8 league appearances; "

There's a 20 goals a season player. Assumimg he gets no red cards, of course.

Back