• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best hardman to play for Blues

DTS

The Business
Personally for me it was Dave Martin....

A lynch pin of the Webby team popped up time and time again with goals from midfield or defence and got somethink like 14 goals in promotion season.

Hard as nails and never gave less than 100% for the blues.
Spoke to him at Hornchurch last season as he was assistant manager at Redbridge and talked of his time at Southend fondly.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Oct. 27 2005,10:05)]Personally for me it was Dave Martin....

A lynch pin of the Webby team popped up time and time again with goals from midfield or defence and got somethink like 14 goals in promotion season.

Hard as nails and never gave less than 100% for the blues.
Spoke to him at Hornchurch last season as he was assistant manager at Redbridge and talked of his time at Southend fondly.

DtS
Have to agree - his sending off for decking his opponent in full view of the ref at Birmingham in 90/91 was an absolute classic.

I'd also suggest Paul Clark.

Roy McDonough
biggrin.gif

agree with Dave Martin, but does anyone remember John Kurilla (The Gorrilla)
laugh.gif

In the time I can remember, ie the alst six years, it's Leo Roget, running 80yards to get involved in a scrap Vs Kingstonian, and then getting sent off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (piersend @ Oct. 27 2005,10:55)]agree with Dave Martin, but does anyone remember John Kurilla (The Gorrilla)
laugh.gif
Yeah, John (Joe) Kurila around 68/69, he could run through walls.

Paul Clark, Mickey Stead.

Out of interest, has anyone got a list of most sendings off in a Southend shirt?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Oct. 27 2005,10:39)]Peter Butler
Paul Clark
Dave Martin
Definite top three, followed closely by Paul Roberts. OOOh I can still hear some of those crunching tackles and wince at the thought.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Oct. 27 2005,11:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Oct. 27 2005,10:39)]Peter Butler
Paul Clark
Dave Martin
Definite top three, followed closely by Paul Roberts. OOOh I can still hear some of those crunching tackles and wince at the thought.
smile.gif
Roberts got kicked out of Fisher Athletic for nutting the manager !!

Back