• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best local pub roast dinner.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
I went to The Hawk in Battlesbridge yesterday and have to admit that they have really upped their game. If I had one quibble it would be that I think three roast potatoes is a bit tight.

8/10

Anyone else got a top tip?

Toby carvery in Runwell can be bit hit and miss,but very cheap and normally have discount vouchers.When its a really good roast you are getting great value for money

Not tried the Toby at Bas Vegas, but of the local ones, the Artichoke at Brentwood is, in my opinion, the best. The Bread and Cheese is a bit hit and miss and their spuds are not at all nice. I'd go along with the Hawk as well, plus they have lots of different variations on the basic roast depending on your appetite.

We have been regularly going to the Bell Toby carvery for years, and have yet to experience a poor meal. Possibly depending on what time people go may affect the quality and occasion. I hate queuing for ages to get served, so we go around 3-3.30pm, when usually it's a third or less full.

Avoid The Bell carvery!

Why is that ?

My local pub and we go there all the time, always enjoy it.

What about if I want a fight rather than a low quality gutbuster?

Not sure what its like in the evenings but its all very civilised on a Sunday afternoon !

If you arent happy with 3 potatoes you can pile your plate a foot high there.

We have been regularly going to the Bell Toby carvery for years, and have yet to experience a poor meal. Possibly depending on what time people go may affect the quality and occasion. I hate queuing for ages to get served, so we go around 3-3.30pm, when usually it's a third or less full.

Indeed, always nice when we go, and thats a lot!

Queueing is the only downside but we normally get there for 12 and first in the queue, but I know thats too early for some.

My Dad and I go to The Bell quite a lot, not amazing but you can't argue with piling your plate high for not a lot. Better than the carvery at the Halfway House in my experience.

Toby carvery in Runwell can be bit hit and miss,but very cheap and normally have discount vouchers.When its a really good roast you are getting great value for money
Agree with this, and going there tonight. The only issue is that in the last couple of years it has got very busy on Sundays and you can't book in advance and therefore have to wait

Agree with this, and going there tonight. The only issue is that in the last couple of years it has got very busy on Sundays and you can't book in advance and therefore have to wait
had a great meal, and on a non Sunday or is £6.20 plus there are 20% of vouchers on the net. Huge portion of decent food for a fiver. How can you go wrong

had a great meal, and on a non Sunday or is £6.20 plus there are 20% of vouchers on the net. Huge portion of decent food for a fiver. How can you go wrong
Great Value isnt it? When you have a voucher you can get the large upgrade loads of food,ice cream and refillable soft drink for around a tenner.Cant argue with that

Was in the Thomas Kemble last Saturday. Party of 18. We had 3 20% off vouchers for 6 people only but the waitress worked it so we could use them all on one bill. Also refillable soft drinks is a winner and the barman was pretty good, which is something I always look for.

Although not strictly a pub I have heard the Boatyard in Leigh does a decent roast however I swore never to return after having a **** meal there a few years ago plus I find the gaudy displays of conspicuous wealth from some of the clientele a little offputting.

I have also heard the Fishmarket in Benfleet is decent. Can anyone confirm?

I have also heard the Fishmarket in Benfleet is decent. Can anyone confirm?

Not for a roast I wouldn't have thought :stunned:

I have eaten there but not for a while, excellent fish dishes but price to match.

Just me who can't stand a carvery? I've never had one with decent roast potatoes (which to be fair are quite hard to make in advance and keep nice).

Back