• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agree Michael Owen, for all his abilities on the pitch, clearly has no spark for commentary.

He may have a boring voice, but Ray Wilkins is (or was, now he's at Fulham) highly knowledgeable, very encouraging of younger players, and just a generally nice guy. His wise words and positive outlooks will be missed, and are wasted on a Fulham team who are in disarray.

I don't actually mind Shearer on MOTD, I don't mind Quinn on Sky Sports, but i detest the fat f***** who present ITV football, Adrian Chiles. Always trying to crack jokes that are not funny, constantly going to ad breaks (YES I'm blaming him for that!),

Theres also a guy on BBC essex, normally on the Lower depths of footy but sometimes does southend, so monotone he coulld send an insomniac into a coma!

21914166.jpg

Some very good recommendations for terrible pundits on here.

When you list them all you have to say there really is plenty of choice to pick from.

Adrian Chiles is probably my favourite out of all of them though, how he got a massive ITV contract I have no idea.

David Pleat is/was very much underrated. Encyclopaedic knowledge of players - a team could bring on a kid you've never heard of for his debut and Pleat would know what his game was all about - combined with a knowledge of tactics.

Yet this nomination will no doubt be ridiculed.

Jimmy Armfield use to annoy me for his ability to sit on the fence. When Peter Schmeichel, arguably the greatest goalkeeper of all time, was at the height of his powers Armfield said without any hint of irony "I'll tell you what, that Schmeichel might just be one of the best goalkeepers in the league at the moment." Might? The bloke was comfortably the best keeper on the planet and one of the best players in the EPL in any position.

Jimmy Armfield is very good as a co presenter and despite all the negatives, I like Claridge. Give me him any day other than that up his own arse the world is against me Ian Wright. Christ he makes Robbie Savage sound good.
Mute button everytime Phil Thomson opens his annoying scouse trap.

I don't actually mind Shearer on MOTD, I don't mind Quinn on Sky Sports, but i detest the fat f***** who present ITV football, Adrian Chiles. Always trying to crack jokes that are not funny, constantly going to ad breaks (YES I'm blaming him for that!),

Theres also a guy on BBC essex, normally on the Lower depths of footy but sometimes does southend, so monotone he coulld send an insomniac into a coma!

21914166.jpg

Which is why ITV should never be allowed to show football. Roy Keane is poor too although every time in on with Chiles talking the look in his eyes look like he is thinking of various ways of torturing him!

Think it was the Bristol City FA cup game where Chiles was getting abuse at the end of the match. Brilliant TV!

ITV certainly take the worst team award, they seem to employ people on the basis of trying to make the rest of their shower look better...by being worse...Chiles, Keane, Southgate and Dixon cogitating and Tyldesley/Townsend commentating is a helluva line-up:'(

I actually don't mind Dixon, but agree on the rest of those itv pundits. Also agree with earlier comments about Ray Wilkins, he used to be ***** but now he's alright.

Babbage is the worst though. He commentated on a game last season and even failed to raise his voice when we scored. It was so bad he acknowledged his poor performance later on the show

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned Barry Small Fry amongst the worse pundits. When he comments on live games on Sky that only he can see because they are not live games on telly, he is very difficult to understand. His diction is awful and if only he could make a complete sentence in understandable English. Plus the fact that I hate him because of his Judas act going to Birmingham.

For me the worst without doubt is Chris Phillips, thankfully he has only done a handful of games this season. Likes the sound of his voice far too much. Babbage and Phillips a nightmare partnership. A cure for insomnia !
Agree Paul Clark is brilliant, a complete natural. Phil Brown isn't bad but Clarky should be snapped up by National Radio.

ITV are truly awful as stated above, have to say that I quite like ex Shrimper Adrian Clarke on BBC Essex, he does a bit on Talk Sport every now and then. He seems to understand different levels of the game.

For me the worst without doubt is Chris Phillips, thankfully he has only done a handful of games this season. Likes the sound of his voice far too much. Babbage and Phillips a nightmare partnership. A cure for insomnia !
Agree Paul Clark is brilliant, a complete natural. Phil Brown isn't bad but Clarky should be snapped up by National Radio.

:winking::winking:

Having lived in Ipswich for a while now, I can honestly without hesitation say that Mick Mills is the most boring co-commentator on the airwaves. He makes me want to hang myself
by 4:30.

I know this is the telly, but the only football radio commentary I can get in Texas is the stuff on the BBC World Service. So, a couple of years ago ESPN aired their first Premier League game. In their opening talk, the presenters acknowledged that many viewers may never have watched a "soccer" game before, but not to worry as they had an expert on hand to explain all the intricacies of this wonderful game, that expert was………………Mr. Vinnie Jones!

He would have done better if he’d kept his mouth shut like in Gone in Sixty Seconds.

Back