• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After being given the heave-ho at Colchester, he applied for a job as a postman. My mate stuck his application form up on the notice board:omg:

I look forward to him giving a detailed account of his appearance for SUFC at home in the first round of the FA Cup v Newport in 1985.

He was sent off in the first minute.

I'm sure it was something like 7 minutes SS :winking:

Steve Mardenborough then got the only goal of the game for Newport around 7 minutes from time, it wasn't a shock as they were division 3 back then and we were division 4

I'm sure it was something like 7 minutes SS :winking:

Steve Mardenborough then got the only goal of the game for Newport around 7 minutes from time, it wasn't a shock as they were division 3 back then and we were division 4

Hairs thou doest split BB. It was prob the first bit of action he had been involved in whatever.

Hairs thou doest split BB. It was prob the first bit of action he had been involved in whatever.

Just as easy to get these things right as wrong though i'm sure you agree :raspberry:

Now this is a bit foggy but i seem to remember a few years on and Roy getting sent off during a 0-0 at Burnley, after his customary ban he returned at Swansea but lasted barely 10 minutes before seeing red again

To me Roy Mc was an absolute legend (and his missus was a right sort too, and friendly with it :whistling:) I must admit though his standing with me was soured by his subsequent return to, success with, and adulation heaped upon himself by those down Layerbout Road way

Nah it wan't the first minute bit it was very early on in the game. It was a shocking challenge, nearly knocked that defenders block off! The game was awful, we either drew 0-0 or lost 1-0 and Newport were complete cack. The only reason I remember it was for Donut's red card.

He was the dirtiest player I've ever seen in a Southends shirt. They really don't make them like him any more....I'd buy his biography any day of the week.

Edit: Just read the other posts, Was it really Tony Pulis? Blimey...wonder if he still remembers it?

Last edited:
Nah it wan't the first minute bit it was very early on in the game. It was a shocking challenge, nearly knocked that defenders block off! The game was awful, we either drew 0-0 or lost 1-0 and Newport were complete cack. The only reason I remember it was for Donut's red card.

He was the dirtiest player I've ever seen in a Southends shirt. They really don't make them like him any more....I'd buy his biography any day of the week.

Edit: Just read the other posts, Was it really Tony Pulis? Blimey...wonder if he still remembers it?

If he played now he would get sent-off every week!!

in perry groves' autobiography he mentions him and big roy used to pretend they were essex ccc cricketers to get some action - roy regularly used to get threesomes and all sorts. must be the tache!

in perry groves' autobiography he mentions him and big roy used to pretend they were essex ccc cricketers to get some action - roy regularly used to get threesomes and all sorts. must be the tache!

Footballers having to pretend to be cricketers in order to get some action?

The world's changed.

Cadette and Crown wouldn't have had anything like the success for us without a targetman alongside them as good as Red Card Roy (when he was on the pitch of course!). Shows how little some of or fans knew when slating Matt Harrold when his hard work was being appreciated by his team mates.

I remember Bobby Robson coming to watch our cup game v Derby - presumably to watch Mark Wright and Peter Shilton. He ended up seeing RCR beat the England number one from the penalty spot.

The book would be an interesting read.

Cadette and Crown wouldn't have had anything like the success for us without a targetman alongside them as good as Red Card Roy (when he was on the pitch of course!). Shows how little some of or fans knew when slating Matt Harrold when his hard work was being appreciated by his team mates.

I remember Bobby Robson coming to watch our cup game v Derby - presumably to watch Mark Wright and Peter Shilton. He ended up seeing RCR beat the England number one from the penalty spot.

The book would be an interesting read.

Then being quoted afterwards "I would have scored past TWO Peter Shiltons"

Back