• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bill Garner joined Chelsea less than 48 hours after playing against them in Southend's 0-1(Chris Garland)home defeat in the League Cup match at Roots Hall. Both West Ham & Chelsea had agreed the fee(between 80,000/100,000) with Southend, so it was down to Bill to decide. Having chosen Chelsea it seems quite ironic that his debut the following Saturday was against West Ham at Stamford Bridge. Garner was chosen as the substitute(No.12,only 1 sub in those days) and was on the pitch within 10 minutes after an early injury to Alan Hudson, however with his first touch of the ball he collided with team mate Peter Osgood and damaged his ankle and spent the rest of the game hobbling on the left wing.
Bill Garner was out injured for about three weeks but scored the first goal when returning to first team action at Highfield Road in a 3-1 win against Coventry City. Garner despite suffering quite a few injuries in his time at Chelsea scored 31 league goals in less than 100 matches as well as another 5 in the F.A.Cup.

Nevertheless, as a human-being, he is as low as they come.

Nevertheless, as a human-being, he is as low as they come.

My one and only time I met him when he was involved with a bunch of idiots running a Rochford team in the Sunday league. I was playing for a Rayleigh team and he came across as a complete C***. For some one who had played at the level he did, the abuse he was coming out with during the game was embarrassingly Sunday league thug stuff

My one and only time I met him when he was involved with a bunch of idiots running a Rochford team in the Sunday league. I was playing for a Rayleigh team and he came across as a complete C***. For some one who had played at the level he did, the abuse he was coming out with during the game was embarrassingly Sunday league thug stuff

Played against him more than a few times in the Sunday League,then the Veterans League and your assessment is.....spot on.

How did the song go..
Bill Garner...superstar
walks like a woman and he wears a bra !!!

and that was the Blues fans!!

Say what you like about him , his goals got us out the old 4th division in 1971-72 .

I went to his 'soccer schools' for about 6 years at Thorpe Hall school (until he was sacked for pocketing all the money - bar cheques made to the school - and lying about the headcount).

My best memory of Bill was his reaction to a friends comment (okay we weren't the best behaved kids, but we were no more than 9/10) .. and he promptly responded that he should do a few laps as he was a 'fat ****'.

I also have a family member who played in the same veterans team as he did (courtlands - which is now LA fitness). During a friendly match just before Christmas, being the nasty bloke he is, he went up for a header and almost took an old guys face off with an elbow. Blood everywhere and even his own players decided they didn't wanna finish the match after that.

Simply put, he is an utter c***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caught two minutes of 'Classic Arsenal' matches on BT Sports this morning. They were playing at Stamford Bridge and in the two minutes I saw Bill shoulder barged Sammy Nelson in the head (the ball was out of play), threw the resulting throw in Nelson's face and was then booked for an unseen incident. He literally snarled G-A-R-N-E-R at the ref. People talk about Big Bad Barry Corr, but Big Bad Bill Garner made him look like a pussycat.

Yes, I loved watching Bill playing for us. He led the line heroically. 47 goals in 111 games. Also brought us in £100,000 when transferred to Chelsea - a lot of money in those days.

Yes, I loved watching Bill playing for us. He led the line heroically. 47 goals in 111 games. Also brought us in £100,000 when transferred to Chelsea - a lot of money in those days.

All very true. Bill Garner cost £12,000 from Bedford Town and broke up the Best-Moore partnership up front after arriving. But there was no doubt about it. Garner proved to be a great signing. He was a great header of the ball, and had a terrific left foot, which he demonstrated with both his finishing and passing.

What a formidable man, fantastic header of the ball, probably the best I have seen in a Blues shirt.
In my 64 years supporting,I definitely can’t think of anyone for us who rose higher to head the ball cleanly.He got above tall keepers with their arms up stretched.
But,I often came up against him in the Borough Comb,Sunday and Vets Leagues and...well....let’s just say his demeanour hadn’t changed in the slightest.

Caught two minutes of 'Classic Arsenal' matches on BT Sports this morning. They were playing at Stamford Bridge and in the two minutes I saw Bill shoulder barged Sammy Nelson in the head (the ball was out of play), threw the resulting throw in Nelson's face and was then booked for an unseen incident. He literally snarled G-A-R-N-E-R at the ref. People talk about Big Bad Barry Corr, but Big Bad Bill Garner made him look like a pussycat.
As The North Bank used to sing to the tune Jesus Christ Super Star . Bill Garner Super Star do you know how Great You Are .

Bill was a handful. He took over from Billy Best as my hero. He suited Chelsea post Osgood. I can imagine him and Red Card Roy together what a partnership they would have been?

Back