• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Billy Paynter

toellandback

Andy Cap
It looks increasingly likely that he will be joining us on a free this summer. Am i wrong to not be over excited at him signing or am i safe in writing him off before hes signed his contract?

Many thanks

Best off asking Swindon fans rather than us. He was subject to abuse from the boo boys and never really got going here. He has been scoring for fun for Swindon so who knows.

He got a lot of abuse here, but was never given a fair crack of the whip in fairness to him.

.............I have spent the last minute trying to type sentance to describe his attributes, but I think that says it all. As he said him self when asked the question on his attributes when he joined us, he said, "I put myself about"...whatever that means! He isn't quick, and I wouldn't say skillful. So, finishing? errr, I wouldn't say that great either! But he's strong, very hard working, and as he says "puts himself about"!

I think he's had a superb season, but maybe a one off? He's not an Eastwood, Beckford, Cox etc (i.e strikers that had the ability light up league one). Supply him with crosses, and you've got, on average, a 15-18 goal a season league one striker.

Source?... HP... I know. But seriously.

Paynter has come on a hell of a lot since he left us, thats for sure. But why would he want to come back? IMO he's more likely to be playing in the Championship than League 2 next season, today's Mirror links him with Leeds for example.

Just doesn't make sense to me. :)

I personally cannot understand how he has scored so many. He was booed out of our club though! I thought he was okay, but never struck me as a 20+ goal man. What do I know though?

Source?... HP... I know. But seriously.

Paynter has come on a hell of a lot since he left us, thats for sure. But why would he want to come back? IMO he's more likely to be playing in the Championship than League 2 next season, today's Mirror links him with Leeds for example.

Just doesn't make sense to me. :)

I think you will find with a name like to'elland'back he is a Leeds fan!

Paynters done a lot of growing up but I don't think it's coincidence that in the last year of his contract he started banging em in.

He was highly recommended to Tilly and Brush by Peter Taylor. Just like Hooper and Charlie Mac, we did not play to his strengths and he looked a poor striker. He also suffered from no service from our midfield.
He is now in a system that suits and in front of a very creative midfield. Spud Taylor was right, he is a very good striker.

just another striker in the massive long list that it hasn't worked out for when they were with us then they go somewhere else and bang the goals in and stick one finger up at us.

Another one that has shoved our club's lack of faith in them back down our throat....

It looks increasingly likely that he will be joining us on a free this summer. Am i wrong to not be over excited at him signing or am i safe in writing him off before hes signed his contract?

Many thanks

I liked Paynter and was really disappointed how it worked out for him here. Some of the fans turned on him before he'd even played for us, and wasn't given much of a chance to shine.

He did have have a good performance live on Sky for us against Cardiff, and had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside, which would have been his first goal. Who knows what would have happened if the goal had stood.

He hasn't been smashing them in left, right and centre through out his career, buts seems to chip in with 10-15 goals which is a decent enough return. I think last season was one of those seasons for him when everything clicked for him. I don't think he will have another season like it, and isn't the best replacement for Beckford, but would be a good second striker in my opinion.

He certainly wasn't given much of a chance here with the management team either. Look at Morrison at Millwall. Really, really struggled at the start of the season after his move from Stevenage, but he was given a chance to play his way out of his bad form and he has since gone on to do very well.

He was highly recommended to Tilly and Brush by Peter Taylor. Just like Hooper and Charlie Mac, we did not play to his strengths and he looked a poor striker. He also suffered from no service from our midfield.
He is now in a system that suits and in front of a very creative midfield. Spud Taylor was right, he is a very good striker.

This does seem to be an increasingly recurring theme. Makes you wonder that, since everything is Big Bad Ron's fault, he must have been advising T&B on tactics too.:unsure:

...And the penny drops!! :D Thought it was a tad strange people we're entertaining the idea!

I'll be quiet now :)
don't worry, Toellandback is a closet shrimper... why else would he have 2000 posts on here??

This is from the SWINDON chairman:

Town chairman Andrew Fitton has confirmed striker Billy Paynter will be leaving the club this summer.

Speaking to the Advertiser, Fitton said: "I don't think he will stay.

"We would like him to stay but he is out of contract and if he has an offer from a Championship club - which we suspect he has - then we are never going to be able to compete with that."

The Championship club in question is almost certainly Leeds United, and with Paynter out of contract in Wiltshire at the end of this month, any potential move could be finalised imminently.

"Billy Paynter has been a good player for Swindon Town, but Swindon Town have helped make Billy Paynter a good player, and sometimes players can forget that," said Fitton.

When paynter arrived it was the day before the start of the champship season so wasnt match fit, we also had Ricketts that wasnt match fit (our marque signing), Eastwood and Bradbury. Our first 4 games were ok and then we hit the slippery slope and he came into a struggling team and the rest was history. I still think him and Eastwood would have been a good partnership

don't worry, Toellandback is a closet shrimper... why else would he have 2000 posts on here??

A boring day job ;)

Thank you to all that have posted.

I think Leeds fans are hoping he is being brought in as cover for Luciano in the foil role. The big worry is that Ken will view him as a direct replacement for Beckford. I've only seen him a few times but i would rather him to Kandol

Paynter to me seems fairly average in all respects, and I think this season is a one off and is down to decent delivery from midfield, a very good strike partner, a bit of momentum and a real run in the team.

I don't think he is CCC class, but like this season he may well prove a few people wrong.

Best of luck to Billy.

A boring day job ;)

Thank you to all that have posted.

I think Leeds fans are hoping he is being brought in as cover for Luciano in the foil role. The big worry is that Ken will view him as a direct replacement for Beckford. I've only seen him a few times but i would rather him to Kandol

Nice to see you back on here Gareth, I remember that League Cup game up at Elland Road where Billy was playing in place of Freddy (can't remember why now). He started very promisingly and then was forced off with a suspected broken ankle after a very bad tackle by one of the Leeds boys. For me that was the beginning of the end for him, failed to live up to expectations, failed to take the opportunity (through no fault of his own) and then forced onto the sidelines through his injury.

I always like Paynter and it was disgusting how he was forced out. Me and my mate were quite excited when we signed him, as we remember him pretty much destroying us vs Bradford the season before.

Anyways, looks like Leeds are on the bargain hunt? With the rumoured (and highly unlikely) low price swoop for Moussa and JFC and now a free transfer for Paynter.

You guys got no dough?!

Back