• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good stuff, looking forward to the follow-up and am very interested with where you take this.

BTW Beane and De Podesta didn't invent new statistics, they utilised advanced statistical analysis that had been developed by amateur baseball enthusiasts looking to better understand the game such as the legendary Bill James. Beane's contribution was to bring these amateur metrics and way of analysing into the professional game as these models were actually better than the traditional measures that had been widely used.

Economics is not about money or big business per se, but about making the best of limited resources. Economics was traditionally founded on concept that people made rational decisions – that with their salary they spent it wisely, and looked to maximise their wellbeing. Economists look to apply this to decision-making for firms and business – getting the best out of limited resources, or maximising efficiency and profit. The problem is that many people, decision-makers, and economists get it wrong. They are stupid with their money, they manage their businesses inefficiently, and this allows other people to take advantage.

Interesting. But I disagree. It depends on who's making the decision and why. Rationalism is a logical place to start, but it is always pragmatism that wins out, however on a macro-scale this is not efficient.

I also think it is because resources are scarce because people are more competitive and in a capitalist economy, with the aim being to maximise dividends to shareholders, it's dog-eat-dog. It's not because people are stupid or wasteful necessarily.

Economics is not about money or big business per se, but about making the best of limited resources. Economics was traditionally founded on concept that people made rational decisions – that with their salary they spent it wisely, and looked to maximise their wellbeing. Economists look to apply this to decision-making for firms and business – getting the best out of limited resources, or maximising efficiency and profit. The problem is that many people, decision-makers, and economists get it wrong. They are stupid with their money, they manage their businesses inefficiently, and this allows other people to take advantage.

Interesting. But I disagree. It depends on who's making the decision and why. Rationalism is a logical place to start, but it is always pragmatism that wins out, however on a macro-scale this is not efficient.

I also think it is because resources are scarce because people are more competitive and in a capitalist economy, with the aim being to maximise dividends to shareholders, it's dog-eat-dog. It's not because people are stupid or wasteful necessarily.
Yeah I agree with all that, I was just focussing on a specific aspect to bring the Moneyball idea through.

Back