• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fish

Manager
On holiday in Durham 10 days ago, I went to a Bobby Robson signing session for his autobiography just come out. A real gent and made time to talk to everyone.

Inevitably the Shrimpers were mentioned (with him being a Geordie I made sure I mentioned THAT New Years day game of course). He replied that Southend offered him a job once. Sure enough, we were the first ever club to offer him a manager role - in 1969. Trevor Bailey was our chairman, and BR came down to Brentwood (where Trevor and Essex CC were playing a match at the time) for a job interview and we offered him a player-manager role. He turned it down because we offered him LESS wages than he had been on when Fulham paid him when they signed him as an untried 17 year old nearly 20 years previously (plus ca change...!).

He also has one or two things to say which are very interesting in the context of recent comments made on this board about Mitchell Cole and especially James Lawson. Talking about his debut at the age of 17 for Fulham, he says 'supporters who immediately condemn young players for not being good enough should remember that a large measure of disorientation comes with promotion to the first eleven. It takes time for the shock to wear off and for a boy's confidence to grow'. This season is inevitably going to be harder than last year, and Roots Hall floaters are well-known for quickly getting on the players backs - we must be patient and encourage the team - it's even more important now than at the Millstad in May. We should remember that most of our players have NEVER played at League 1 level, and will need time to bed in - I think that's why we were off the pace in the first half against Vale last week.

I did tell him that there's a youth coach job going at the Hall at the moment, but he didn't seem interrested...

Lastly, if we didn't already know what a top chap he is, he even urged a couple of boys in Sunderland shirts in the queue saying 'support your team'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Aug. 13 2005,14:12)]I did tell him that there's a youth coach job going at the Hall at the moment, but he didn't seem interrested...
No there's not.
oops.gif
tounge.gif

Interesting none the less. Don't suppose he knew anything about our current crop did he?

Met Sir Bobby once after a Newcastle training session and as everyone has said, he is a true gent and would make a perfect grandfather for anyone.

Was absolutely gutted when he was unceremoniously shown the door by Freddy Shepherd last year. *******!!!
mad.gif

Bobby was also a mate of Uncle Vic's. After Bobby was no longer England manager after the 90 World Cup, he was offered a position at the club, but turned it down to go to Porto...

Bobby will be signing copy's of his book in WH smith's in Lakeside this week , can't remember what day this week unfortunatly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 13 2005,19:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Aug. 13 2005,14:12)]I did tell him that there's a youth coach job going at the Hall at the moment, but he didn't seem interrested...
No there's not.
oops.gif
tounge.gif

Interesting none the less. Don't suppose he knew anything about our current crop did he?
Not now but I didn't know that at the time. I'm sure if he phoned up we could find him something to do!

Didn't mention any names in particular.

Going through the book he also warns agains managing your old team mates - he had a nightmare at Fulham. Given that Tilly's built a successful team using old team-mates, does this mean Tilly's better than the great Bobby Robson?
upside.gif
wow.gif

Back