• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Can't see this having much legs, looking at the results history, but I'll throw my one and only visit in :-

30th March 1991 : Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Southend United

Big game, this one was, as it was the season we were promoted from Division Three of course and Bolton were right up there with us, Grimsby Town and Tranmere Rovers, at the time of the match.

Their goal came from Julian Darby, though I'm ****** if I can remember it at all.

A well known and much maligned manager of ours, was playing for them that day!

Last edited:
April 12, 1994 Bolton 0-2 Blues.
Remember there was 63 of us, and not one paid! Tickets from players and club sorted that.
Spud Taylor ran over to thank us at the end. I'm pretty sure both Blues goals were scored in the same empty end as as that of the horrific 1946 disaster.
My one and only trip on the supporters coach, and an enjoyable one at that.

April 12, 1994 Bolton 0-2 Blues.
Remember there was 63 of us, and not one paid! Tickets from players and club sorted that.
Spud Taylor ran over to thank us at the end. I'm pretty sure both Blues goals were scored in the same empty end as as that of the horrific 1946 disaster.
My one and only trip on the supporters coach, and an enjoyable one at that.
I was there as well on the coach up there , cold Tuesday night and going through a bad a patch . Think Bodley and ansah scored and we were doing the conga on the big empty terrace . Rip Paul Holland

Saw the first ever game between the two clubs.

A rare Dave Elliott goal gave us a point in a 1-1 draw, just the 44 years ago.

Saw the first ever game between the two clubs.

A rare Dave Elliott goal gave us a point in a 1-1 draw, just the 44 years ago.

I was at that one too in 1972-73. Also myself and DTS were there on that Tuesday night Mickey Bodley after 7 mins and Andy Ansah on 38 mins. We went by car.

Also went to Bolton by train the following season, 5th March 1995 a dismal 3-0 defeat.

I've been driving passed their ground on the M61 for the last 15 years or so. It's an impressive yet imposing sight. Every time I think, one day, I'll be there for Southend. That's the memory, Saturday's the day.

I vaguely remember a trip to Burden Park in, I think, the 1990s. Pretty sure the game was played some time between Christmas and New Year and I remember seeing snow on the Pennines on the journey. We were awful and deservedly lost. I think it was 2-0.

I was there as well on the coach up there , cold Tuesday night and going through a bad a patch . Think Bodley and ansah scored and we were doing the conga on the big empty terrace . Rip Paul Holland
mick Bodley was craaaaaap, hung onto players... So slow....most of the kits on here don't know xxxxxxx

I vaguely remember a trip to Burden Park in, I think, the 1990s. Pretty sure the game was played some time between Christmas and New Year and I remember seeing snow on the Pennines on the journey. We were awful and deservedly lost. I think it was 2-0.

Looking at the results history 'Gremlin' it sounds like the match on 28th December 1996, which we lost 3-1.

That was the reverse fixture that we won 5-2 at Roots Hall in the September.

Last edited:
Tony Hadley mystifying the Bolton supporters.

When Dave Cusack was sent off early in the first leg of the League Cup game they could not understand how a centre forward (where he had been sadly selected) could be asked to move to play centre half and yet play so brilliantly.

We won, drew the replay and beat and knocked a higher division team out of the Cup.

Last edited:

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm guessing Paul was the coach organiser - the nice bloke who made sure the coach stopped at the Fortune of War to pick me up? Hadn't realised he had passed.

When Dave Cusack was sent off early in the first leg of the League Cup game they could not understand how a centre forward (where he had been sadly selected) could be asked to move to play centre half and yet play so brilliantly.

We won, drew the replay and beat and knocked a higher division team out of the Cup.

I think the memory is slipping a bit old boy!

28 August 1979 - didn't Essex clinch their first County Championship that day too?

Tony was in midfield with Micky Stead and Anton Otulakowski. Micky Touhy ( remember him) was up front with Morris and Derrick Parker. Colin Morris's finest 90 minutes with the two goals. Bolton were old Division 1.

Hadley was centre forward for the third game against West Ham in the next round when we'd run out of fit players following the pre season food poisoning scandal at Dover?

Looking at the results history 'Gremlin' it sounds like the match on 28th December 1996, which we lost 3-1.

That was the reverse fixture that we won 5-2 at Roots Hall in the September.

This news of an aggregate victory cheers me. I bid you a good weekend 'Andy'.

28 August 1979 - didn't Essex clinch their first County Championship that day too?

Tony was in midfield with Micky Stead and Anton Otulakowski. Micky Touhy ( remember him) was up front with Morris and Derrick Parker. Colin Morris's finest 90 minutes with the two goals. Bolton were old Division 1.

Hadley was centre forward for the third game against West Ham in the next round when we'd run out of fit players following the pre season food poisoning scandal at Dover?

Travelled up to this one in my Morris Marina. Just replaced the engine after it blew going to Swansea a couple of months prior. This time the windscreen shattered on the way home. With no windscreen insurance and no cash, I had to drive home nearly the whole journey from Bolton with my southend scarf wrapped around my face and a pair of sunglasses on to protect my eyes.

My then girlfriend huddled in the passenger seat foot-well and froze her bits off even though it was a balmy August night.

Everything had been going so well up to then too. We'd beaten a 1st Division team (I think?) at theirs and deserved it IIRC, and my hero Colin Morris (he walked on water you know!) had scored twice.

As already remarked, we drew the home leg and went through, before getting hammered in the next round by the Hammers (eventually after a couple of draws).

We won, drew the replay and beat and knocked a higher
division team out of the Cup.

I think this was our first ever victory against a top flight team.

I remember who drove me to the game if that helps?

I remember who drove me to the game if that helps?

I can remember driving back afterwards - well actually there was the bit between Stoke and Birmingham that I have little recollection of as we had a swift half somewhere near Stoke.

My only other trip in March 1991 I bumped into someone crossing the Burnden Park car park.

I can remember driving back afterwards - well actually there was the bit between Stoke and Birmingham that I have little recollection of as we had a swift half somewhere near Stoke.

My only other trip in March 1991 I bumped into someone crossing the Burnden Park car park.

Remember it well.

We lost 1-0 but it was a good game.

As I recall we had lost the previous week at Bournemouth too.

Wilshire wasn't playing that day though.

Yep, 3-1 at Bournemouth.

Spencer Prior scoring with a bullet header*

*At the wrong end!

Back