• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Books that made you emotional

Napster

No ⭐
Just read one book that had my eyes start to water.

Shaun Goater - the Autobiography. The chapter on the Shrimpers is marvellous.

What books have made you emotional, whether scared, anxious, angry, or otherwise.

c11687.jpg

The most distressing, but fascinating book I have ever read to bo honest.

Last edited:
The Official History of Southend United by Peter Mason. The first few paragraphs where he talks about promotion to Division 2, Benji and the Bury net had me genuinely on the edge of complete emotional meltdown. I do recall that on the actual day, it was the second time I had seen my Dad cry, the first time being the death of the King.

I bawl my eyes out at the endings of several books, it's the female hormones! :(

'Gulag' by Anne Applebaum. The whole book is distressing, but there is one bit in particular where a woman talks about how she gave birth in one of the camps. The poor child never had a chance...

"Every night for a whole year, I stood at my child's cot, picking off the bedbugs.....[she] soon turned into a pale ghost with blue shadows under her eyes and sores all over her lips...[the nurses] would force them [the babies] out of their cold beds with shoves and kick...pushing the children with their fists and swearing at them roughly.

"...now fifteen months old...she stopped reaching out when I visited her; she would turn away in silence...On the last day of her life...I found her lying naked in the morgue among the corpses of the adult prisoners. She had spent one year and four months in this world.

"That is the story of how, in giving birth to my only child, I committed the worst crime there is"

By the time I read that last sentence I had to put the book down.

Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck.

The only book I enjoyed reading at school did bring a lump to my throat near the end.

Movie was well done too.

'Gulag' by Anne Applebaum. The whole book is distressing, but there is one bit in particular where a woman talks about how she gave birth in one of the camps. The poor child never had a chance...

"Every night for a whole year, I stood at my child's cot, picking off the bedbugs.....[she] soon turned into a pale ghost with blue shadows under her eyes and sores all over her lips...[the nurses] would force them [the babies] out of their cold beds with shoves and kick...pushing the children with their fists and swearing at them roughly.

"...now fifteen months old...she stopped reaching out when I visited her; she would turn away in silence...On the last day of her life...I found her lying naked in the morgue among the corpses of the adult prisoners. She had spent one year and four months in this world.

"That is the story of how, in giving birth to my only child, I committed the worst crime there is"

By the time I read that last sentence I had to put the book down.

That is truly horrible, just what you quoted. We all moan about life but some have seem more than others ever will.

the original velveteen rabbit, its a children book and I dare you to buy it for your kids and not cry

somme mud........

The thing that struck me about this, was that the bloke didnt really consider he had done anything heroic or out of the ordinary and they seemed to have an almost casual attitude to death, never questioning some of the ridiculous orders and tasks they were given.

Just read one book that had my eyes start to water.

Shaun Goater - the Autobiography. The chapter on the Shrimpers is marvellous.

What books have made you emotional, whether scared, anxious, angry, or otherwise.

I may have told this before but I do a bit of business with a bloke called Mark who does some corporate work at Man City. I was talking to him about Goater. He recalled one day after a game Goater was outside signing autographs for City fans in the pouring rain. Mark asked Mrs G to tell him to come inside. "He's ok" she said " he might be out there for hours - he can remember when he was at Rotherham and nobody wanted his autograph"

Top bloke.

"A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks. Even though it is sappy as hell, I love the movie and cry every time I watch it so therefore thought it'd be a really good idea to read the book! Balled my eyes out. I daren't read "The Notebook" as that makes me cry more than "A Walk to Remember" does! Damn Nicholas Sparks to hell I say!

"Atonement" also made me cry quite a bit (although again, I read it after the film which made me cry like a little girl) as do a few others that I can't think of right now.

Back