• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boxing - Greatest Fight of all time?!?!

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
I'm just watching documentary on Benn v McClellan, tragic consequences but i remember it being an absolute barnstormer of a fight. Interested to hear people's opinions on the greatest fight of all time? Incidentally mine is either Micky Ward v Arturo Gatti 1 or Chris Eubank v Nigel Benn 1.

Many people consider Ali v Frazier I to be the greatest ever. I go for Ali v Frazier III. It had everything, dazzling hand speed, power punches, raw guts and courage, two boxers prepared to die in the ring if need be. They nearly did too.

Eddie Futch pulled his fighter out at the end of the 14th, thinking it could kill Smokin' Joe if he let him go out for the 15th. What he coudln't see or hear was Ali telling his corner he was quitting and passing out on his stool soon after. Had Frazier got up for that last round he would have won but Futch was protecting his fighter, who had both eyes almost shut.

Ali himself said afterwards "That's the closest to dying I've ever known."

A spellbinding fight. Anybody under the age of 35 won't appreciate this, but whenever Ali fought it seemed as if the world had stopped to watch. It was a huge, huge event across the globe. And when he fought Frazier they always delivered.

Many people consider Ali v Frazier I to be the greatest ever. I go for Ali v Frazier III. It had everything, dazzling hand speed, power punches, raw guts and courage, two boxers prepared to die in the ring if need be. They nearly did too.

Eddie Futch pulled his fighter out at the end of the 14th, thinking it could kill Smokin' Joe if he let him go out for the 15th. What he coudln't see or hear was Ali telling his corner he was quitting and passing out on his stool soon after. Had Frazier got up for that last round he would have won but Futch was protecting his fighter, who had both eyes almost shut.

A spellbinding fight. Anybody under the age of 35 won't appreciate this, but whenever Ali fought it seemed as if the world had stopped to watch. It was a huge, huge event across the globe. And when he fought Frazier they always delivered.

This was the one that I immediately thought of. Honourable mention too for 'The Rumble In The Jungle' and Sir Harry Carpenter's euphoria when Ali came off the ropes to grill George in the eighth ... "Oh my God, he's won the title at 32!" :happy:

I agree with you and well summed up.

Not as the greatest ever but for the most ferocious and destructive punching I'd go for Foreman v Frazier in Jamaica 1973.

Moving this to all sports forum.

Great summary but I don't agree that Frazier would have won if he'd gone out for the 15th. Ali was punching him at will in the 14th and I reckon it's more likely Eddie Futch saved Joe Frazier from being knocked out (or more likely stopped.....)

I'd go for Eubank - Benn (1) but Tyson-Douglas was also a pretty awesome spectacle. I remember being absolutely blown away that Tyson could be beaten by anyone, let alone a journeyman like Douglas. Nobody in the world saw that one coming.

In no particular order:

Benn vs Eubank
Eubank vs Collins
Lewis vs Ruddock

and for the "fairy-tale"

McColl vs Bruno (Only for Harry Carpenter going "Hang on Frank !" in the last round)

If McCllennan hadn't of outted Emmanuel Stewart and chose that clown of a trainer he would of done Benn .

Benn took him to the trenches and McClennan hadn't had a fighter get up after his fury of punches , so a massive hats off to Benn , also what I didn't realise until last night was the impact of the clash of heads where Benn missed with that haymaker and planted a full on head butt to his temple . I beleive that started off the tragic events with McClennan , but what a truely great fight .

I had always rated this fight and also the Eubank / Benn / Watson / Collins days were as exciting as the Hearns / Hagler / Leanord and Duran days.

Special mention also to Carl thompson vs David Haye ....that fight was a beauty to .

All great shouts lads. There just doesn't seem to be that magic around boxing anymore. Mostly only genuine fight fans get excited about upcoming title fights and gone are the days when boxers were national hero's. We had two British fighters challenging for World Titles in John Murrary and Martin Murray at the weekend, most of my mates didn't even know who they were! Probably a lot to do with PPV and it not being on prime time terestrial tv anymore.

All great shouts lads. There just doesn't seem to be that magic around boxing anymore. Mostly only genuine fight fans get excited about upcoming title fights and gone are the days when boxers were national hero's. We had two British fighters challenging for World Titles in John Murrary and Martin Murray at the weekend, most of my mates didn't even know who they were! Probably a lot to do with PPV and it not being on prime time terestrial tv anymore.

My best man is the secretary of GB Boxing. Loads of good British talent coming up for London 2012.

In no particular order:

and for the "fairy-tale"

McColl vs Bruno (Only for Harry Carpenter going "Hang on Frank !" in the last round)

I was at Frank Bruno v Oliver McCall. Probably in my top 5 great moments in life when the announcer said ".....AND NEWWWW.....HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLDDD...." The whole of Wembley went nuts and Big Frank had his title...I could well up just thinking about it!

Nothing beats Gatti vs Ward for me.

Of recent times, Pacman's wars with Cotto & margarito were brilliant.

Always liked Oscar Vs B-Hop aswell. The way Hopkins ends De La Hoya is spiteful, but brilliant.

All great boxers (and fighters), fights and memories.

My little aside about Ali wanting to quit on his stool and passing out in his corner at the end of the 14th came from Dr. Ferdie Pancheco (I think that's how it's spelt), who was one of Ali's cornerman for many years, and who I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to in Las Vegas.

He said it was down to Angelo Dundee almost dragging Ali to his feet before the 15th bell, seeing the consternation in Frazier's corner and correctly guessing they were pulling their man out. Once Ali raised his arm in triumph he collapsed in his corner again. If they'd both gone out for the 15th the consequences were too gruesome to contemplate.

Tommy Hearns, well, what a boxer. Style as well as a blinding punch. In that classic with Hagler, he hit him so hard in that first round he broke his hand. That's how hard Hagler was. Which makes Leonard's disputed points win, out ofretirement, all the more incredible. My, what a boxer Leonard was, a showman and brilliant exponent of the noble art.

Lennox Lewis was the finest boxer I saw in the flesh. I went to Vegas in 2000 to see him defend his title against David Tua and it was an utterly mesmerising 12 rounds of textbook jab-and-move. It was a joy to behold yet, predictably, the Americans in the Mandalay Bay arena booed, wanting a knockout rather than the compelling masterclass that was on show. The people that knew their boxing, though, sat back and marvelled at a great heavyweight artist at work.

For sheer entertainment the first Dave MacAuley v Fidel Bassa fight has to be right up there too.

Last edited:
Back